+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UK Covid-19 death figures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: UK Covid-19 death figures

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I understand about healthcare devolution.

I also understand that the UK government has, somewhat unsurprisingly, been central and pivotal to the policies that have been implemented throughout the UK to tackle Covid-19. I understand that the public in Wales and throughout the rest of the UK have been guided as much by the UK government in Westminster as they have by the devolved administrations, regardless of where in the UK they live. It is why a daily UK government briefing hosted by either the UK Prime Minister or another high-ranking UK government cabinet minister has been beamed live into our homes every day since the middle of March. It's why the UK Prime Minister sent every household in the UK a letter and a leaflet outlining the UK Government's pandemic guidance. It's why the UK Prime Minister has made several televised addresses to the whole of the UK during the pandemic and it's why an important news conference involving the UK Prime Minister's controversial top advisor was beamed live into homes throughout the UK.

You don't seem to understand those things at all.
    I understand all of the above and not disputing any of it. If Wales government wants to work in tandem with Westminster or any other home country, allow letters, and other communication to take place in a unified approach such co-operation is to be applauded. So UK Gov is very influential but not directly responsible for the health of the people of Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I understand all of the above and not disputing any of it.
    So let's get this straight: you understand and don't dispute that the UK government has been central and pivotal to the policies that have been implemented throughout the UK to tackle Covid-19, and you understand and don't dispute that the public in Wales and the rest of the UK have been guided as much by the UK government in Westminster as they have by any of the devolved administrations, but nevertheless you are steadfastly maintaining that the UK government bears no responsibility whatsoever for the Covid-19 situation in Wales.

I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that you can't see the contradiction in what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    So let's get this straight: you understand and don't dispute that the UK government has been central and pivotal to the policies that have been implemented throughout the UK to tackle Covid-19, and you understand and don't dispute that the public in Wales and the rest of the UK have been guided as much by the UK government in Westminster as they have by any of the devolved administrations, but nevertheless you are steadfastly maintaining that the UK government bears no responsibility whatsoever for the Covid-19 situation in Wales.

I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that you can't see the contradiction in what you're saying.

I don’t think we are ever going to see eye to eye on this. Yes, all you say about UK gov guiding the devolved governments is right, and those governments can accept or reject the guidance. If they accept and follow and it all goes pear shape, who is responsible.?

When it comes to health in Wales the Senedd carries the can not UK gov. If it wasn’t so there would be no point in devolution.
    You can point the finger of blame at UK gov, just as you are doing, but it is the Senedd that is legally obliged to have control over the healthcare of the population, and therefore is legally responsible.

Seen the above the other day, shockingly bad for the UK, although it focuses on England which is the worst in the World by some measures apparently.