+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else on here a regular fisherman

Is anyone else on here a regular fisherman

Started off fishing for trout on my local river then ogmore river in bridgend

Then sea fishing off the rocks in Guernsey on family holidays

Coarse fisherman till my mid twenties

Then got into fishing the local coastline when I returned to wales

Tripped on slippery rocks and damaged my ankle ligaments about 6 years back

Now getting back into spinning for trout , perch and pike after the local club I belong to gained a lease on the river Ely

After selling all my sea fishing tackle I have now bought new rods , reels , line , landing nets , spinners , lures etc for fishing the river

I fecking love fishing , a couple of hours out in nature , reeling back in and waiting for that rod to buckle as something grabs your spinner

Bringing something up the bank , quick photo then returning it safely to the water to swim away

Spent weeks buying tackle and reading fishing stories on the internet , it really is a great hobby

Sitting in a pub ? No fecking chance

Re: Is anyone else on here a regular fisherman

I've been 3 times in 34 and 3/4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I've been 3 times in 34 and 3/4 years.
    I think we can put you down as a no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Started off fishing for trout on my local river then ogmore river in bridgend

Then sea fishing off the rocks in Guernsey on family holidays

Coarse fisherman till my mid twenties

Then got into fishing the local coastline when I returned to wales

Tripped on slippery rocks and damaged my ankle ligaments about 6 years back

Now getting back into spinning for trout , perch and pike after the local club I belong to gained a lease on the river Ely

After selling all my sea fishing tackle I have now bought new rods , reels , line , landing nets , spinners , lures etc for fishing the river

I fecking love fishing , a couple of hours out in nature , reeling back in and waiting for that rod to buckle as something grabs your spinner

Bringing something up the bank , quick photo then returning it safely to the water to swim away

Spent weeks buying tackle and reading fishing stories on the internet , it really is a great hobby

Sitting in a pub ? No fecking chance
    I used to in my teens but would love to start again. Took my kids to cefn mably a few times about 12 years ago. Fancy trying some of the Brecon lakes for trout, either spinning or ledgering

I think we can put you down as a no thanks
    If he did it every 11 1/2 years he could be a maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    If he did it every 11 1/2 years he could be a maybe!
    But more of a friendly reception.

I've fished all my life. Started as a nipper fishing the Cadoxton river from Michaelston-le-Pit, where we poached trout in Layton Lougher's garden all the way to Barry, had some decent trout and Roach from that river. Moved to the midlands and fished the open match circuit, rivers, canals and lakes, fished for Dam AFS, who were a decent team and spoke to Doug Hornblow about fishing for Wales at Holme Pierpont in the 94 world champs, never came to fruition.
    Happy to fish just for pleasure now, barbel on the trent, Roach and Bream from a small local river. Can't beat it.. Yesterdays net of silversTTACH=CONFIG]3981[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    I've fished all my life. Started as a nipper fishing the Cadoxton river from Michaelston-le-Pit, where we poached trout in Layton Lougher's garden all the way to Barry, had some decent trout and Roach from that river. Moved to the midlands and fished the open match circuit, rivers, canals and lakes, fished for Dam AFS, who were a decent team and spoke to Doug Hornblow about fishing for Wales at Holme Pierpont in the 94 world champs, never came to fruition.
    Happy to fish just for pleasure now, barbel on the trent, Roach and Bream from a small local river. Can't beat it.. Yesterdays net of silversTTACH=CONFIG]3981[/ATTACH]
    Coarse fishing has come on leaps and bounds in south wales in last few years

Taff and Ely are full of roach chub dace perch barbel , odd pike ......docks feeder canal the same ......atlantic wharf loads of big bream , Carp , tench , pike ..........cardiff bay carp , chub , roach , pike ......river ely bits of everything

Hendre lake , pentwyn pond , porthcawl lakes , merthyr reservoirs for big pike , glamorgan anglers have increased their number of waters

Monmouth and Brecon canal now a very good mixed fishery

Some huge pike in kenfig pool

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I used to in my teens but would love to start again. Took my kids to cefn mably a few times about 12 years ago. Fancy trying some of the Brecon lakes for trout, either spinning or ledgering
    Used to fish centref for trout but that was on the fly

Not sure which ones are fly only now

Dont do any fly fishing nowadays , would rather chuck on a spinner

Smaller reservoirs around merthyr have a good stock on coarse fish especially pike

Coarse fishing has come on leaps and bounds in south wales in last few years

Taff and Ely are full of roach chub dace perch barbel , odd pike ......docks feeder canal the same ......atlantic wharf loads of big bream , Carp , tench , pike ..........cardiff bay carp , chub , roach , pike ......river ely bits of everything

Hendre lake , pentwyn pond , porthcawl lakes , merthyr reservoirs for big pike , glamorgan anglers have increased their number of waters

Monmouth and Brecon canal now a very good mixed fishery

Some huge pike in kenfig pool
    Ive heard good things about the Fishing in South Wales. Cardiff has probably some of the best inner city fishing in the uk. You should get yourself down to Port Talbot dock. some huge weigths of Bream and Roach coming out, with some massive Pike to be caught too.

Capture.JPG

Yep when I can!

Gonna have a go down the Gower in a couple of weeks and try the fly rod for mackerel and bass if the conditions are right otherwise it'll be jigs, spinners and pennel rig with lugworm.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    Ive heard good things about the Fishing in South Wales. Cardiff has probably some of the best inner city fishing in the uk. You should get yourself down to Port Talbot dock. some huge weigths of Bream and Roach coming out, with some massive Pike to be caught too.
    Some big pike in the neath and swansea canals too but it's very weedy

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Capture.JPG

Yep when I can!

Gonna have a go down the Gower in a couple of weeks and try the fly rod for mackerel and bass if the conditions are right otherwise it'll be jigs, spinners and pennel rig with lugworm.
    Some very big bass along the vale of glamorgan coast , a 22 pound one was caught off llantwit beach a few years back and returned alive

Just packed my bag ready for a early start tomorrow. Started on the upper Taff when I was a kid then never bothered for 30 years.
    Now i just fly fish for trout tomorrow albury in surrey but my favourite is anglian waters in the east midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Just packed my bag ready for a early start tomorrow. Started on the upper Taff when I was a kid then never bothered for 30 years.
    Now i just fly fish for trout tomorrow albury in surrey but my favourite is anglian waters in the east midlands.
    I enjoy fishing for wild brownies but the trouble is it only lasts from march to september , beauty of mixed river fisheries is you can switch to perch , pike , chub , dace , roach etc once the autumn comes

I enjoy fishing for wild brownies but the trouble is it only lasts from march to september , beauty of mixed river fisheries is you can switch to perch , pike , chub , dace , roach etc once the autumn comes
    I fish on a reservoir called Pitsford just up past Northampton which runs from mid feb to new years day, caught a couple of pike on the damsel fly, good 3-10lb rainbow trout fight like feck in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Capture.JPG

Yep when I can!

if you're not in some sort of calendar with this photo there's no justice in the world

I fish on a reservoir called Pitsford just up past Northampton which runs from mid feb to new years day, caught a couple of pike on the damsel fly, good 3-10lb rainbow trout fight like feck in the winter.
    Dont they have a pike day at pitsford ?

Some huge pike in the trout reservoirs

Fisherman’s Blues anyone?

Upper Taff, you mean between Troedyrhiw and Aberfan trying to dodge the bailiff

River taff is interesting , up in the valleys it's almost exclusively brown trout

But once you hit cardiff more and more coarse fish appear , as it flows into the bay it's full of roach dace , Chub , perch , barbel , pike which have a few drinks and chill out and either stay there or naff off into the Ely and make their way up there .

Coarse fish like roach , dace and the odd pike have even been found in the river clun , a small tributary of the Ely, in pontyclun . They have certainly never been stocked .

Fishing is bloody great

I fish from time to time. Usually shore fishing. I like to eat what I catch. Black bass, Striped bass, Fluke, etc. I'd like to catch a shark one of these days. I've seen it done from the shore many times. Brown shark, 3-5'. You're not even supposed to fish for them and if you do you have to catch and release. I'd eat one if I could. I've seen a bloke land 4 in one afternoon. Put a lump of bunker on your line and they will bite. I'm not a experienced or skilled fisherman though. I just do what I'm told. But one of these days....

River taff is interesting , up in the valleys it's almost exclusively brown trout

But once you hit cardiff more and more coarse fish appear , as it flows into the bay it's full of roach dace , Chub , perch , barbel , pike which have a few drinks and chill out and either stay there or naff off into the Ely and make their way up there .

Coarse fish like roach , dace and the odd pike have even been found in the river clun , a small tributary of the Ely, in pontyclun . They have certainly never been stocked .

Fishing is bloody great
    I remember crossing Canton bridge and seeing loads of grey mullet, quite big looking too! Are they still in abundance? I'm not so clued up on coarse fishing, sea fishing was more my thing, however, I seem to recall someone telling me that mullet are quite difficult to catch, due to them having a very soft lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Fisherman’s Blues anyone?
    Why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I remember crossing Canton bridge and seeing loads of grey mullet, quite big looking too! Are they still in abundance? I'm not so clued up on coarse fishing, sea fishing was more my thing, however, I seem to recall someone telling me that mullet are quite difficult to catch, due to them having a very soft lip.
    Loads of mullet in the taff and Ely

They are indeed hard to hook due to their soft mouths and also fight like crazy if you do hook them