Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
If your mother and father are still alive but your mother is in a care home isn't the assumption made that only your mother's share of the house (50% assuming tenants in common) is taken into consideration? Furthermore would your father be required to sell the house he lives if your mother dies before him?

Sorry for the daft question but I am trying to get to grips with my understanding of the past and present situation because things must have changed since I was involved in this issue for my parents.
If both parents are alive, the value of the home is completely ignored providing that one owner (or anyone relative over the age of 60 is living there as their main home) - it doesn't matter if t's owned as tenants in common or jointly tenancy.

Top advice from Ian about Lasting Power of Attorney - absolutely essential for everyone of any age. The example I give clients is Kate Garraway who had to rely on financial support from friends and family when her husband was suffering from Covid and everything was frozen as he hadn't set up Power of Attorney.