+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unilateral Tan

Unilateral Tan

He is still very much that.

Would it take much to consult the Supporters Trust, or sound out former players. People who actually "live" the club.

If McCarthy is a stop gap manager and the idea is that they give themselves 6 months or so to explore alternatives, they HAVE TO speak to someone who can fill the board in on what the appetite of the fan-base/loyal customers is.

Maybe what they have in mind is to bring in Bellamy and begin something a little bit more long-term but all the same, speak to the fans.

The pandemic and resulting lock-down has been crappy but at the very least it has underlined how absolutely essential the fans are, and that this not a sport that can survive in isolation, run like a business by rich people in their high castles.

Re: Unilateral Tan

He is a despot. Nonetheless we are very lucky to have him for his generosity in keeping our club afloat and well away from the bottom 2 divisions where we lingered for 18 years.

Trouble with asking fans is they'll give you 100 different answers with each one also saying the other 99 don't know what they're talking about.

Apparently, Tan enjoyed the brief talk he had with McCarthy, so everything should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Apparently, Tan enjoyed the brief talk he had with McCarthy, so everything should be fine.
    That’s great news...I envisage them skipping down lanes together around the vale in no time

Considering this guy supports the club financially, without question, and has overseen some of the most successful years many us have experienced, I think it's a bit rich to call him a despot.
    To quote Reginald Perrin, he didn't get where he is today by stopping every man in the street and asking what he thought. Yes, it might seem like he takes his eye off the ball now and then, or that he has others do the job for him, but he's still the man. And if he ever decided he was sick of the fans questioning his judgement, then we'd be in deep sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Trouble with asking fans is they'll give you 100 different answers with each one also saying the other 99 don't know what they're talking about.
    Seems to me there is a pretty much universal desire for a long-term "project" and a young manager with a modern take on things. At least, that is something that I have read or heard quite a few people saying. If not that, I think a lot of us would be happy with a decent style of football.

The only way to have a chance of finding that out though is through having good communication with the fans.

I don't know why we always have to be second guessing Tans decisions....."Maybe it's a short term thing", " Maybe, he is doing it so we can invest more in the playing squad" .

Seriously, this is my club , not his. He answers to us. Like I said, if we all drop tools and credit cards, the club does not exist. He doesn't have his vanity project.

The fact someone else abused the club in the past doesn't mean that we deserve to be treated like a bunch of mindless drones.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Considering this guy supports the club financially, without question, and has overseen some of the most successful years many us have experienced, I think it's a bit rich to call him a despot.
    To quote Reginald Perrin, he didn't get where he is today by stopping every man in the street and asking what he thought. Yes, it might seem like he takes his eye off the ball now and then, or that he has others do the job for him, but he's still the man. And if he ever decided he was sick of the fans questioning his judgement, then we'd be in deep sh*t.
    I agree entirely. Fans spend a few quid on attending matches and Tan spends millions to keep the club afloat. You only have to read this forum to see how individual fans differ on suitable potential managers. Consulting fans would be absolutely pointless, not to mention the fact that would prolong the process of getting anyone quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post

I think you should probably be directing a lot of your praise in the direction of Ridsdale too.

You can be a despot and have success now and then.

This idea of success though is the same as Warnock claiming his way of playing was a "winning" way in response to Harris' "offensive remarks" (what a diva he is BTW). It's a fallacy. We are in the same position now that we were when Warnock joined. Same goes for Tan. On the pitch we are in the same position now as we were when he bought the club.

To put it simply, we have gone forwards, but we have also gone backwards just as much. We've had success, but we have had just as much failure.

With regards, he is keeping th club afloat. Still remains to be seen what the situation is when he eventually leaves. As I understand it we till have some pretty bug debts right ? Fact remains, he has done good things on this front. However, does this give him the right to be so oblique and aloof when it come to decision making for the clubs future on the field ? Is it even in his own interest !? Does he even have the right to be that way ?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Seriously, this is my club, not his.
    Not strictly true, is it? Tan owns the club, the fans are just a customers, as he was keen to point out on numerous occasions during the rebrand era.

He's a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he'd given him a 4 year deal then I'd understand the hysteria but McCarthy's only here until the end of the season, hopefully the plan is to use that time to find the right manager to take us forward long term

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I agree entirely. Fans spend a few quid on attending matches and Tan spends millions to keep the club afloat. You only have to read this forum to see how individual fans differ on suitable potential managers. Consulting fans would be absolutely pointless, not to mention the fact that would prolong the process of getting anyone quickly.
    Sorry , but you are a drone. You want some fella who has no idea to make decisions about your club. He is entitled because he has money is basically what you are saying. I'll never understand that logic, sorry.

There are plenty of fan run clubs (or partially fan run) that get things done and even have success...... FC Barcelona for one. All I'm saying is have some ****in dialogue with the fans.

Not strictly true, is it? Tan owns the club, the fans are just a customers, as he was keen to point out on numerous occasions during the rebrand era.
    No fans , no club.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He's a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he'd given him a 4 year deal then I'd understand the hysteria but McCarthy's only here until the end of the season, hopefully the plan is to use that time to find the right manager to take us forward long term
    HOPEFULLY !

That's what I'm saying Delmi. You are a passenger on his journey.

Can't believe that post !
    He's a businessman investing millions - why would he consult fans ?

Many people here for example are automatically negative and obviously have no understanding of the game.

People get confused whether this is professional sport or some kind of community social project.

Seems to me there is a pretty much universal desire for a long-term "project" and a young manager with a modern take on things. At least, that is something that I have read or heard quite a few people saying. If not that, I think a lot of us would be happy with a decent style of football.

The only way to have a chance of finding that out though is through having good communication with the fans.

I don't know why we always have to be second guessing Tans decisions....."Maybe it's a short term thing", " Maybe, he is doing it so we can invest more in the playing squad" .

Seriously, this is my club , not his. He answers to us. Like I said, if we all drop tools and credit cards, the club does not exist. He doesn't have his vanity project.

The fact someone else abused the club in the past doesn't mean that we deserve to be treated like a bunch of mindless drones.
    What I'm saying is no matter what Tan decides theres always someone who thinks they know better and are prepared to make huge assumptions about Tan to that end.As this appointment is only to the end of the season it allows time for the decision makers to make a more considered choice.

I cant actually believe anyone thinks Tan decided to appoint Mick McCarthy without consulting anyone.

Its probably Dahlmans work.

I don't really understand why anyone is saying this with such confidence. A couple of the reports I read yesterday suggested McCarthy has been appointed until the end of the season with the option of an extension. If McCarthy can get the team moving and finish within a reasonable distance of the play-offs, I reckon he's 100% guaranteed to be given a new, improved contract. I don't think he'd have come here if that wasn't a probability.

Hes not necessarily only here until the end of the season. The likely scenario is his deal is extended. I think he will do the job the board want and get an extension.

No fans , no club.
    I appreciate that and so does Tan, but he couldn't really care less about what the fans think. Surely the rebrand saga taught you that?

What a load of Northampton Town.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Can't believe that post !
    He's a businessman investing millions - why would he consult fans ?

Many people here for example are automatically negative and obviously have no understanding of the game.

People get confused whether this is professional sport or some kind of community social project.
    Mate, you are all about capitalism, I would expect you to understand.

I'll repeat though. This is not a dictatorship. As a fan base we also invest millions of hard earned pounds, and have done over the last 100 years or so....long before Vincent Tan existed.

Without Vincent Tan there would either be another multi-millionaire in charge or the registered trademark Cardiff City Football Club would cease to exist and we'd have another manifestation of the club which would currently be in League Two or League One. Without the fans putting in their money the same thing would happen. This is an investment by both parties, with each party investing for its own reasons. The fans , for the sense of belonging, the match day , a sense of community...whtever. I'm unsure what Tan's motives are. To be a kind soul . ....ok , if you say so.

I don't really understand why anyone is saying this with such confidence. A couple of the reports I read yesterday suggested McCarthy has been appointed until the end of the season with the option of an extension. If McCarthy can get the team moving and finish within a reasonable distance of the play-offs, I reckon he's 100% guaranteed to be given a new, improved contract. I don't think he'd have come here if that wasn't a probability.
    I'm only going by what I saw on the BBC Sport announcement, I do agree with you about if he does ok he there's a good chance he'll stay though

I appreciate that and so does Tan, but he couldn't really care less about what the fans think. Surely the rebrand saga taught you that?
    I think falling gates and decrease in revenue would make him care.

However with no fans in stadiums and probably a best case scenario on restricted attendances next season I dont think he will give a sh!t what is posted on social media.

HOPEFULLY !

That's what I'm saying Delmi. You are a passenger on his journey.
    I am, but to be fair if I was spending millions of my own money I'd be driving the train as well