+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cultural Appropriation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

I think positions like this should be filled by those most qualified and talented to do so, regardless of skin colour or background.
    But they're often not filled by those most qualified and talented to do so, historically with a strong bias towards white people. Which is kinda the point people are making regarding this case.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    But they're often not filled by those most qualified and talented to do so, historically with a strong bias towards white people. Which is kinda the point people are making regarding this case.
    Are folk saying that only black people should represent / comment on R & B or Soul as I would have though there has been many white folk who have been defined as a great soul or R&B voice or sound .

I remember in he early years Zeppelin were referred too as a white man blues sound .

Steve Marriott had a wonderful voice and guitar for the blues and R&B .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Are folk saying that only black people should represent / comment on R & B or Soul as I would have though there has been many white folk who have been defined as a great soul or R&B voice or sound .

I remember in he early years Zeppelin were referred too as a white man blues sound .

Steve Marriott had a wonderful voice and guitar for the blues and R&B .
    I don't think anybody's saying that but I look forward to Craig David's podcast on country and western music which will be out soon

I don't think anybody's saying that but I look forward to Craig David's podcast on country and western music which will be out soon
    Bloody racist.

Country music's origins are in a large part derived from music originating on the plantations. The banjo is an African instrument.

Not sure I've heard much about that.

Can you fill me in?

not the point you're making , I know, but sometimes it's just as interesting to see something you're familiar with through someone else's eyes who is completely fresh to it as hearing someone who's an expert talk about it.

this reaction video (that's been going around for years) of someone listening to RATM for the first time never fails to bring a smile to the face.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUxQ2_CQlw

Craig David on country could be just as intoxicating.