+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Street Begging

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Street Begging

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    That’s true. The sad truth of it is some access the services provided as it maintains their lifestyle rather than wishing to address it.

Sludge is correct in saying most individuals suffer multi complex issues that have contributed to their situation but whatever the situation if they’re motivated, the services are there to address their issues.

As I’ve previously said, I’d stop all forms of begging as it maintains poor lifestyle choices. Easier said than done in a city like Cardiff. In Merthyr they addressed the situation by handing out Criminal Behaviour Orders to persistent offenders.
    I've spoken to a few people who avoid it like the plague, sad thing is then they're limited to where thay can actually get cover in the cold and wet.

I think it's looks a harsh thing to do but it's probably the best way to deal with it yes so I'd agree on a bigger scale operation in Cardiff..

I always remember my old dear telling me about a fella she met in Luton once who ended up on the streets after a fall out with his wife over working so long not seeing the family etc, ended up losing his family and eventually his business over time, never used to drink a lot but after a few months on the streets it was the only thing that worked to cover the pain so he started drinking daily, people think these people are addicts walking onto the streets I'd bet a large percentage aren't... Hence how he ended up talking to my mother she invited him over for a drink and to sit at their table as he was sat further down the street on his own, didn't ask for anything but accepted 2/3 pints off the group as they chatted away. Wouldn't accept cash when they left for their hotel.
    Thing is people see the drink and assume the worst.

Re: Street Begging

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I've spoken to a few people who avoid it like the plague, sad thing is then they're limited to where thay can actually get cover in the cold and wet.

I think it's looks a harsh thing to do but it's probably the best way to deal with it yes so I'd agree on a bigger scale operation in Cardiff..

I always remember my old dear telling me about a fella she met in Luton once who ended up on the streets after a fall out with his wife over working so long not seeing the family etc, ended up losing his family and eventually his business over time, never used to drink a lot but after a few months on the streets it was the only thing that worked to cover the pain so he started drinking daily, people think these people are addicts walking onto the streets I'd bet a large percentage aren't... Hence how he ended up talking to my mother she invited him over for a drink and to sit at their table as he was sat further down the street on his own, didn't ask for anything but accepted 2/3 pints off the group as they chatted away. Wouldn't accept cash when they left for their hotel.
    Thing is people see the drink and assume the worst.
    For each individual there are usually a myriad of issues that need addressing. Some are evident as a constant, some exacerbated by homelessness, some as a direct result of being homeless.

Rough sleeping on the rise the last few years and a decrease in services available don’t help.

I’m not up to date with stats but the average life span for homeless males was 45 in the UK a few years ago. 43 for women. It needs addressing.