+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retained list released

Retained list released

Gutted for Sol, surprised at Bennett and what the hell was the point in bringing Jonny Williams in?

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-retained-list

Retained list

Joe Bennett, Sol moving on. Along with Junior.

Possibly old news.

Re: Retained list

At least 1 minute old.

Re: Retained list released

Sol and Bennett both past their peaks and might have been expecting large wages
    We have to trim a lot of cost out
    Willliams didn't really do that much

Any surprises for the u23s and u18s? for those who follow it more closely than me.

I thought mcwilliams usually looked good, and dan martin

Bennett is obviously unfit, until at least October, so not really surprising no new deal offered now. Perhaps if he proves his fitness something might happen later. Also hopefully Sol will return in some sort of coaching capacity, so that at least the fans can say goodbye properly to him as a player. Williams is odd, although the fact that he got injured within days of arriving wouldn't have helped endear him to the management or board.

I thought Dan Griffiths looked useful a couple of years back but seemed to go backwards (was he injured? I know he had a Welsh premier loan). I don't follow the U18s so much but thought Frazer Thomas used to score regularly (unless he only scored when I was paying attention and I assumed he did that all the time).

Robert Glatzel still for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Bennett is obviously unfit, until at least October, so not really surprising no new deal offered now. Perhaps if he proves his fitness something might happen later. Also hopefully Sol will return in some sort of coaching capacity, so that at least the fans can say goodbye properly to him as a player. Williams is odd, although the fact that he got injured within days of arriving wouldn't have helped endear him to the management or board.
    I'd be shocked if Bennett wasnt offered a contract but perhaps he wanted more ££ or a longer term.

Hoilett as expected.

Bamba - can only presume he wants to play and we as a club don't see it. I just hope it's been done properly and we don't have any aminosity around it.

William is just odd. Mick said he was having an extension and no problem there when asked before last game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Any surprises for the u23s and u18s? for those who follow it more closely than me.

I thought mcwilliams usually looked good, and dan martin
    Dan Martin is a bit of a surprise, as is Ben Margetson, not altogether surprised by Jack Bodenham and sad about James Waite.

Hope Sam Bowen signs the deal he’s been offered.

Joe Bennett signs for Middlesbrough, short odds.

squad 4.jpg

I've attempted to map out how the squad is looking - suffice to say we have some work to do, but that was always going to be the case.

I'll add player ages and contract years remaining when I have the time, as there are a load of players OOC at the end of next season.

If we really have got two more signings sorted, I’m hoping one of them is.a left back (we’ll miss Bennett).

squad 4.jpg

I've attempted to map out how the squad is looking - suffice to say we have some work to do, but that was always going to be the case.

I'll add player ages and contract years remaining when I have the time, as there are a load of players OOC at the end of next season.
    You’ve forgotten Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    oh aye

And Bale

Echo earlier comment by Welshlad, hope the Sol situation was resolved amicably, I'd love him to come back in some role in the future.

Hopefully he gets his year or so of playing, maybe he'd have to drop down?

Bennett and Hoilett, great players for us, very light at lb.

All the best to all that have moved on.

and Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    and Tomlin
    yeah I wasn't sure where to fit Tomlin in on that formation.

I can see us playing 3-4-1-2 judging by that squad depth through the middle and lack of cover out wide

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    and Tomlin
    He’s not alone, Mick forgot about him as well

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    He’s not alone, Mick forgot about him as well
    MM hadn't forgotten him, every press conference he would tell us that Tomlin wasn't fit (yet).

I wonder where Joe Bennett will end up. I can't see a lot of Championship clubs offering a big contract to a 31-year-old left-back who will miss the first few months of the season recovering from a serious knee injury.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Dan Martin is a bit of a surprise, as is Ben Margetson, not altogether surprised by Jack Bodenham and sad about James Waite.

Hope Sam Bowen signs the deal he’s been offered.
    If Mick had given him some minutes in those last 2 league games at the end of the season he would have signed the deal by now. After watching his brother play in the under 23s until he was 22 and then fizzle out of the game altogether by 25 he doesn’t want to go down the same route. If he does sign then a loan to minimum league two club next season is a must for his development.

Shame Newport didn’t get promoted as a loan there would be ideal.

Wonder if Tomlin will be played while developing Colwill or if Tomlin is already effectively gone