+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrap the group games next time

Scrap the group games next time

These group games are not living up to expectation. Get 32 teams on the board in a straight knockout, with both teams trying to win. Italy made 8 changes against Wales which devalues the competition. Last night , Belgium were already through, and were trying to walk the ball in, and be too clever. For us fans in our armchairs , it makes you want to change channels. As for kicking off at the same time, the authorities must be very naive if they think the teams don’t know what’s going on in the other group game. It’s about time this competition had a new format in future.

Re: Scrap the group games next time

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    These group games are not living up to expectation. Get 32 teams on the board in a straight knockout, with both teams trying to win. Italy made 8 changes against Wales which devalues the competition. Last night , Belgium were already through, and were trying to walk the ball in, and be too clever. For us fans in our armchairs , it makes you want to change channels. As for kicking off at the same time, the authorities must be very naive if they think the teams don’t know what’s going on in the other group game. It’s about time this competition had a new format in future.
    Or just go back to the old elite version with 16 teams; top two through. I always preferred the euros because England aside, there were rarely crap teams in it.

Would we have qualified for 2016 or 2020 had they been 16-team tournaments?

No.

2016 groups were largely poor, but this time around there have been a number of great games.
    The format has meant that there are almost no teams with nothing to play for going into their last game.
    In 2016 it was ruined a bit by lots of teams playing not to lose and progress with 3 draws, but this time around the bigger teams have mostly been able to break down the teams that are set up to defend, meaning those teams have had to go for a win in their subsequent games.

I wouldn't want a straight knockout - lose your first game and that's it, at least with a group you have a couple of weeks of interest in the tournament at the worst

Would never happen.

Far too much money to be made with this format, albeit under the guise it allows the lesser teams the chance to make a major finals tournament.

Hope we've seen the last of multi-hosts though!

You get mediocre games because teams are generally happy with a draw in the first game. However it makes the rest of the games better with those teams going for a win.
    16 teams is too few, as youd get the same teams getting through each time and 32 (knockout or groups) is too many.
    The current format is not ideal, but the most practical.

How can anyone witness the noise, the colour the passion of fans of Austria, Ukraine, Denmark last night and think that's something not deserving of being at the tournament?

If there were no group games this time, Germany would have been on their way home

Ive enjoyed this tournament and last nights games. I dont like the 3rd best out of 4 qualifying though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If there were no group games this time, Germany would have been on their way home
    presumably the draw would be seeded like Wimbledon so the big boys miss each other until the later rounds

Yes to 32 teams but no to scrapping the group stage. I think this format of 4 losers (3rd place) out of 6 qualifying for the knock outs is dreadful. Why didn't they just go for 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 going through?

And for anyone saying there aren't enough quality teams to stretch to 32, do we honestly believe the likes of Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Rumania etc. are any worse than North Macedonia, Hungary and Russia?

Also i think the nostalgia for straight head to head games is misplaced, most of those games (thinking European cup/champions league) were just as crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    presumably the draw would be seeded like Wimbledon so the big boys miss each other until the later rounds
    The draw was seeded

The draw was seeded
    It was but that’s not his point. If seedings were in place France would most likely have been #1. They’d have played the 24th seed, which wouldn’t have been Germany

It's a terrible idea for travelling fans. Imagine all that build up, going all the way to another country, and it's just for one game.

The problem is not groups, it's that there are so many games just to eliminate a third of the sides. 24 teams is not a good number for this style of tournament.

It should be 16 or 32 teams. 32 is obviously too much for Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It was but that’s not his point. If seedings were in place France would most likely have been #1. They’d have played the 24th seed, which wouldn’t have been Germany
    Ah, he’s speaking hypothetically

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Would never happen.

Far too much money to be made with this format, albeit under the guise it allows the lesser teams the chance to make a major finals tournament.

Hope we've seen the last of multi-hosts though!
    It's not just about money, though, is it? The football hàs been mostly good, and we like watching football.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's a terrible idea for travelling fans. Imagine all that build up, going all the way to another country, and it's just for one game.

The problem is not groups, it's that there are so many games just to eliminate a third of the sides. 24 teams is not a good number for this style of tournament.

It should be 16 or 32 teams. 32 is obviously too much for Europe.
    I would agree for the 2016 tournament, but I think it has worked well this time. lots of teams going for it and very few with nothing to play for even up to the last game.

Even Scotland can still qualify.

I actually prefer this one to the usual groups of 4 with 2 to qualify

Ah, he’s speaking hypothetically
    You were speaking hypothetically when you said "if there were no group games"

You were speaking hypothetically when you said "if there were no group games"
    No, I was answering his quote “scrap the group games”

So he/she, not only want to scrap the group games, they want to restructure the whole competition draw

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would agree for the 2016 tournament, but I think it has worked well this time. lots of teams going for it and very few with nothing to play for even up to the last game.

Even Scotland can still qualify.

I actually prefer this one to the usual groups of 4 with 2 to qualify
    Yeah wouldn't really argue with that. I'm not really sure where the OP hatred comes from.

No, I was answering his quote “scrap the group games”
    The whole thread is hypothetical.

If that had been the case in 2016, we wouldn't have had that memorable night against Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Yes to 32 teams but no to scrapping the group stage. I think this format of 4 losers (3rd place) out of 6 qualifying for the knock outs is dreadful. Why didn't they just go for 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 going through?

And for anyone saying there aren't enough quality teams to stretch to 32, do we honestly believe the likes of Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Rumania etc. are any worse than North Macedonia, Hungary and Russia?
    Wot he said. They could give it to 4 countries, 2 groups per country, q/f each, s/f & final to 3 different countries, better than this crap format

Regarding the Nations League teams:

Hungary - very credible draw with France and could survive the group of death
    Slovakia - currently 2nd best in their group with one game to go
    Scotland - credible draw with England and possibility of going through as second place if results go their way
    North Macedonia - have added to the competition though outclassed by Netherlands

They all got through on merit whereas Republic of Ireland and Serbia had equal chance and fluffed their lines.

It's 7 games to win a tournament folks. Are we honestly saying 7 games is too much? Only thing you should be considering to change that is drop the third-place qualification route into tournament knock-out.

It's not just about money, though, is it? The football hàs been mostly good, and we like watching football.
    Not disagreeing, I doubt we'd get too far with the original proposal.

I just think that the minnows getting a chance to perform on the big stage was a very convenient poser to pocket more cash.

I think it's good to get multi-nations rubbing shoulders with each other, just in the same country.