+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Strange that a thread which has run to 220 plus pages in the ten months since it was started has slowed to a trickle in the weeks when the virus has been at its worst.
    It might have something to do that there is less to criticise the government about and a reluctance to criticise Drakeford and Co for their activities in Wales. When there were issues with PPE and test and trace - and there were many justifiably - the thread was active but as things have got better the posts have dried up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It might have something to do that there is less to criticise the government about and a reluctance to criticise Drakeford and Co for their activities in Wales. When there were issues with PPE and test and trace - and there were many justifiably - the thread was active but as things have got better the posts have dried up.
    I’m not sure about there being less to criticise the Government about. It was revealed today that the UK had the highest COVID death rate in the world last week and it’s worth remembering that while Mark Drakeford and the WAG are, rightly, being savaged for their vaccinations policy today , they acted while Johnson and his Cabinet, as is their wont, dithered in the days before Christmas and the price is being paid for that now.

I’m not sure about there being less to criticise the Government about. It was revealed today that the UK had the highest COVID death rate in the world last week and it’s worth remembering that while Mark Drakeford and the WAG are, rightly, being savaged for their vaccinations policy today , they acted while Johnson and his Cabinet, as is their wont, dithered in the days before Christmas and the price is being paid for that now.
    It's too early to compare the death rates with other countries. Apart from issues surrounding the way deaths are recorded, there is a high probability that, when our population is vaccinated and others including those in the EU are less advanced in their vaccination programmes, the number of UK deaths could well be statistically lower even though the figures at the moment are alarmingly shocking.

You are right Drakeford acted earlier than the UK government in locking down the population but he ended his first lockdown too soon with dire consequences.

It's too early to compare the death rates with other countries. Apart from issues surrounding the way deaths are recorded, there is a high probability that, when our population is vaccinated and others including those in the EU are less advanced in their vaccination programmes, the number of UK deaths could well be statistically lower even though the figures at the moment are alarmingly shocking.

You are right Drakeford acted earlier than the UK government in locking down the population but he ended his first lockdown too soon with dire consequences.
    I assume you mean the first firebreak which I suppose could be said to be the second lockdown. Wales came out of first lockdown one step at a time every three weeks, which is what England is now talking about doing, and was uncharacteristically quick to come out of firebreak in comparison and the wider context should be thought about when identifying why.

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I assume you mean the first firebreak which I suppose could be said to be the second lockdown. Wales came out of first lockdown one step at a time every three weeks, which is what England is now talking about doing, and was uncharacteristically quick to come out of firebreak in comparison and the wider context should be thought about when identifying why.
    I think the reason he came out of the firebreak to quickly and his defence of the "Standing around with nothing to do" comment are linked and are a reflection of his personality.
    He has defended his hanging around commen t and refuses to back track on it, equally when he said a short sharp shock for th fire break and said 3 weeks a lot of people said they expected it to go on.
    In both cases he stuck where he was not because it was right but because he thought he would lose face or be accused of a U turn if he didn't and his ego wouldn't allow him to do it whatever the consequences.
    So like the times when he makes the right call but for the wrong reasons these times he made the wrong call.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...cases-12191659

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/bre...vid-19-6913216

These reports show the UK has the worse death rate per head of population in the world, and UK data shows Wales has the worse in UK, so I guess Wales has the worse death rate per head in the world.

As I live in Cardiff I look at the Cardiff and Vale vaccination figures. Latest data from them says they have vaccinated 24,000 people, most of them healthcare / social workers, but also 3600 in care homes or over 80. That averages just 800 jabs a day in the six weeks since vaccinations started in Wales.

There are 36,000 people 75 or older, including 11,000 age 85 or over, in Cardiff and Vale. Vaughan Gething said on TV last night that 70% over 80s in Wales would be vaccinated by this weekend.

Looks like Cardiff and Vale will fall a long way short of target, whilst 150,000 doses sit on shelfs.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    These reports show the UK has the worse death rate per head of population in the world, and UK data shows Wales has the worse in UK, so I guess Wales has the worse death rate per head in the world.

As I live in Cardiff I look at the Cardiff and Vale vaccination figures. Latest data from them says they have vaccinated 24,000 people, most of them healthcare / social workers, but also 3600 in care homes or over 80. That averages just 800 jabs a day in the six weeks since vaccinations started in Wales.

There are 36,000 people 75 or older, including 11,000 age 85 or over, in Cardiff and Vale. Vaughan Gething said on TV last night that 70% over 80s in Wales would be vaccinated by this weekend.

Looks like Cardiff and Vale will fall a long way short of target, whilst 150,000 doses sit on shelfs.
    They don’t appear to be organising the rollout that well either, my mums 90 year old neighbour had a call at 2pm last Friday saying can you get to the surgery by 3. You would think they could give people that old 24hrs notice maybe......on to the 89 year olds next

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They don’t appear to be organising the rollout that well either, my mums 90 year old neighbour had a call at 2pm last Friday saying can you get to the surgery by 3. You would think they could give people that old 24hrs notice maybe......on to the 89 year olds next
    That is almost certainly a case of someone unable to attend an appoimtment and a spot and a vaccine needing to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post

I've seen that chart in another thread saying Wales' death rate was higher than England's in December, but are you saying that Wales' is higher over the course of the whole pandemic? Also, if you are going by the December figures, then it's a bit of a leap to say that Wales had the worst death rate in the world last week - all I'm doing is saying that there are figures which show that the UK had the worst death rate in the world last week, I make no claims about Wales because those figures have not been broken down.

Regarding the six weeks of vaccines across the whole of the UK, not just Wales, it's not six weeks of both vaccines is it, because the Oxford one has only been available to the public for just over a fortnight, so for the majority of the time people have been receiving vaccinations, only the Pfizer one has been available - do your calculations make allowance for that?

I've seen that chart in another thread saying Wales' death rate was higher than England's in December, but are you saying that Wales' is higher over the course of the whole pandemic? Also, if you are going by the December figures, then it's a bit of a leap to say that Wales had the worst death rate in the world last week - all I'm doing is saying that there are figures which show that the UK had the worst death rate in the world last week, I make no claims about Wales because those figures have not been broken down.

Regarding the six weeks of vaccines across the whole of the UK, not just Wales, it's not six weeks of both vaccines is it, because the Oxford one has only been available to the public for just over a fortnight, so for the majority of the time people have been receiving vaccinations, only the Pfizer one has been available - do your calculations make allowance for that?
    I took the data from the UK Gov Covid dashboard which shows total deaths for each home country since the start of the pandemic.

The vaccination data is overall not manufacturer specific, and whilst C&V daily jab rate has increased it's hardly touched the at risk elderly population. The only area of Wales that seems to be on course for vaccination coverage is North Wales

I'm unsure why you have referred to these articles as neither deal with the points I raised which indicated:

1. that it was too early to compare death rates with other countries due to the way statistics are collected An ONS report indicated the following:

"Given the widely differing practices between countries in recording and reporting deaths relating to COVID-19 it is not possible at this time to conduct accurate international comparisons of deaths involving COVID-19 specifically."

(I gather the above means that some countries record deaths as pneumonia which is a consequence of COVID but the UK record deaths as pneumonia associated with COVID) and ;

2. the fact the UK has a higher roll out rate of the vaccine meaning our figures are likely to be lower statistically over a longer period.

All this will come out in the wash when the inevitable inquiry takes place.