+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: McCarthy eyeing Lawrence's record

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: McCarthy eyeing Lawrence's record

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Great question. My spreadsheet doesn't include Welsh cup games, so there's a possibility that there have been successive 4-0 home wins including the Welsh cup. We've never won 4-0 at home in Europe.

Inclusive of all English league and cup competitions, this is the first time Cardiff City have won back-to-back home games 4-0. The closest was this season when we won 4-0 and 3-0. In 1964 we won two home games 4-0 with a 3-1 home defeat sandwiched between.

This season is also the first time we've won 3 home games by 4-0.
    Didn’t we beat Derry 4-0 at home Eric?

Not got anything to hand, I can check this with, but I think we may have won three successive games with an aggregate of 13-0 in 70/71 - Newport and Bangor 4-0 and 5-0 at home in the Welsh Cup and 4-0 at Sunderland in the old Second Division.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Not got anything to hand, I can check this with, but I think we may have won three successive games with an aggregate of 13-0 in 70/71 - Newport and Bangor 4-0 and 5-0 at home in the Welsh Cup and 4-0 at Sunderland in the old Second Division.
    Gilligan hat trick wasn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Yes, we did beat Derry 4-0. Oversight on my part.

You are certainly correct with the other. We beat Newport 4-0 on 10 Feb 1971 and Bangor 5-0 on 17 Feb 1971. In between we won 4-0 at Sunderland. We also kept a clean sheet with Oxford prior to the County game. When I get some time, I'll enter the Welsh cup results to my database as well. I've got John Crooks' Cardiff City Chronology but it only goes as far as 1986. After that, dates tend to be difficult to come by. I only got the date of the Maesteg Park game from a programme on sale on ebay!