+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Snowflake schools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Snowflake schools

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I think the point COULD be geographical. It IS very important to understand one's own history and , putting a globalist view to one side for a moment, we have only shared the last thousand or so years with England and for a number those centuries the English we Jore an invading, occupying force. Things existed before which a majority of Welsh people are probably unaware of. These things are important in understanding our current cultural and political position within the union. Even the word "union" is a little misleading considering we were absorbed by the kingdom of England.

To say that understanding these aspects of our countries history would be comparable to learning about the history of Tonga or Myanmar in terms of its usefulness is to ignore the fact that we have our own history in Wales. That to me seems a little bit strange.

The broadness and intricacies of studying the events that shaped the modern, globalised world is way beyond your average teens ability to comprehend imo. I think it generally paints "the Brits" as the heroes of the story too. I would have found a comprehensive teaching of our countries' history much more relatable and practical. How industrialisation affected south wales. How we became a part of the UK. How our language came into decline. We have an abundance of history of our own.

It's hardly strange to compare our "history" as you put it to that of Tonga. That is the comparable value of the Welsh experience to the historical development of the World. I'm sorry you wish it to be otherwise but I can't do anything about it.

Your point about us having a lot of "history" in Wales is simply your ignorance of what History is all about. Every single part of the World has a huge chronological story to tell, most of it being of no significance to the understanding of the development of the World as it is today.

I guess you are a Welsh culurist and what you are talking about is children gaining a detailed knowledge of Welsh culture and it's chronology. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion but I think it should be a voluntary extra curricular activity and in any case has absolutely nothing to do with History. Your stance is exactly the same as the OP's who just wants British culture as opposed to world culture taught in schools, relegating us to being a cultural ghetto. For you, substitute Welsh for British.

Re: Snowflake schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It's hardly strange to compare our "history" as you put it to that of Tonga. That is the comparable value of the Welsh experience to the historical development of the World. I'm sorry you wish it to be otherwise but I can't do anything about it.

Your point about us having a lot of "history" in Wales is simply your ignorance of what History is all about. Every single part of the World has a huge chronological story to tell, most of it being of no significance to the understanding of the development of the World as it is today.

I guess you are a Welsh culurist and what you are talking about is children gaining a detailed knowledge of Welsh culture and it's chronology. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion but I think it should be a voluntary extra curricular activity and in any case has absolutely nothing to do with History. Your stance is exactly the same as the OP's who just wants British culture as opposed to world culture taught in schools, relegating us to being a cultural ghetto. For you, substitute Welsh for British.
    That seems a little bit arrogant and condescending.

I think it would be virtually impossible to substitute "Wales" for "Britain" in almost any circumstance given the situation both entities find themselves in.....and due to the influence one of these entities has had on the others current predicament. It's naive to make the comparison between me and the OP in this sense.

I know more about England than I do my own country and the OP and you are advocating for more of that.

Your History (by the way, the definition of History is "the study of past events, particularly in human affairs.") smothers anything deemed irrelevant by you.

It's important to know who you are and how you got here. Knowing that a bunch of rich, white people have been assassinated over the years and that another bunch of rich, white people conquered half the planet doesn't necessarily tell me who I am.

I think that that is the role of History. And I'm speaking as someone (not a Welsh culurist (I think that's a posh word for a bodybuilder anyhow ) as you so nicely put it) who has probably received the type of History you deem relevant. It didn't do much for me.