+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chicago Mass Shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Chicago Mass Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Suicides in many demographics have increased over the last decade. Social media usage and people with disabilities being two groups with greater suicide ideation. Access to a gun makes suicide attempts significantly more successful. So I think there's any easy correlation.
    This is my point. America's relationship with guns makes this all far worse, there is no question of that, and maybe some tightening of rules will help, which I would support.

But the fundementals are this: Americans have always had access to guns and always been able to undertake mass shootings, and yet gang murders, homicides, suicides, mass shootings are all up.

The problem is guns, but that is a constant, so the rise is also down to other issues too and we should explore them if we want to solve this, especially as I think the same issues may be happening in other societies, thankfully with less devastating consequences, but still..

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    This is my point. America's relationship with guns makes this all far worse, there is no question of that, and maybe some tightening of rules will help, which I would support.

But the fundementals are this: Americans have always had access to guns and always been able to undertake mass shootings, and yet gang murders, homicides, suicides, mass shootings are all up.

The problem is guns, but that is a constant, so the rise is also down to other issues too and we should explore them if we want to solve this, especially as I think the same issues may be happening in other societies, thankfully with less devastating consequences, but still..
    Respect. Good point here and I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Respect. Good point here and I agree with you.
    I think it's also a good point

Guns are normalised, even idolised, across society in the US. Normalised to the extent that often the default programming for many Americans for resolving grievances, conflicts, quarrels & their own frustration is to think about and pick up a gun.

So yes the problem is guns and removing the ability to keep guns is a part of the solution, but America really needs deprogramming about their attitude towards not just guns but identify, conflict, religion and their own. Belief they are the greatest country on earth ... Which isnt happening any time soon