+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Bowen to Newport

Re: Sam Bowen to Newport

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Fair enough haha. Let’s hope he can change your opinion next season
    I don’t think anything he does next season is likely to change my opinion of the job he’s done this season and I’ll be amazed if he becomes more likeable. That would require some sort of a personality transplant.

Let me flip the question your way: what is it about Morison that you like?

rumourville mentioning that this deal will involve Dom Telford joining us from Newport county

source - newport county forums via twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    rumourville mentioning that this deal will involve Dom Telford joining us from Newport county

source - newport county forums via twitter
    Striker, isn't he? I don't know how many he has scored this season, but that would be a huge jump for him. Very difficult for Strikers to make that kind of jump in standard, much more so than defenders in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Striker, isn't he? I don't know how many he has scored this season, but that would be a huge jump for him. Very difficult for Strikers to make that kind of jump in standard, much more so than defenders in my opinion.
    what i,m seeing is 26 goals in 52 appearances

maybe someone could vouch for those stats its just what i,m reading ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    what i,m seeing is 26 goals in 52 appearances

maybe someone could vouch for those stats its just what i,m reading ?
    seems to have scored 25 in.tje league this season in 37 games, which is excellent - however in any previous season he's hardly scored any.
    wouldn't be the first time we've signed someone on the back of one good season then they've immediately reverted to type

Kieffer Moore made the jump, National League to Premier league in 6 years

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Because Rowberry showed the most desire and has made it clear he is key to the side he wants to build at Newport. Would that be the case at league one club? I doubt it, not for a 21 year old player with just 5 senior appearances.

Sometimes you got to go a step back to go forward. The lad we’ve just signed from FGR had to drop into non league and work his way back up the levels after being released from a championship club with no senior appearances.
    I just pointed out it backs up the Bellamy claim

As for bullying in an earlier reply, if it is bullying it has no place. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I just pointed out it backs up the Bellamy claim

As for bullying in an earlier reply, if it is bullying it has no place. Obviously.
    Backs up what claim? This is what Bellamy said:

I love Sam as a player and he was my captain. You realise how good he is when you’re with him. The little movements he makes, he plays on a very high wavelength. He could go and train at a club like Liverpool and would have no problems. The better players he plays with, the better he is. The one thing I will say is that I think he’s playing too safe at the moment and I’ve told him that. Take the responsibility and stop relying on other players because you’ve got too much ability. What you’re seeing from him at the moment is only a fraction of his ability. He can control games, he can see passes and balls around corners, he can see the big picture and gets everything tactically. He needs to take responsibility, but that’s normal for a young kid. It took me seven or eight games. I was just keeping it simple and that’s not me. When he gets rid of this injury, he’ll be fine because his football IQ is very high.

Nowhere in there does he claim to "always take the easy option" just that hes playing too safe (for the first team), which is normal for a young kid breaking into the first team, something that Bellamy himself admits to doing when he broke through.

Unless there was more to the interview that wasnt published, but it seems to me a little bit of word twisting to suit a narrative.

I love Sam as a player and he was my captain. You realise how good he is when you’re with him. The little movements he makes, he plays on a very high wavelength. He could go and train at a club like Liverpool and would have no problems. The better players he plays with, the better he is. The one thing I will say is that I think he’s playing too safe at the moment and I’ve told him that. Take the responsibility and stop relying on other players because you’ve got too much ability. What you’re seeing from him at the moment is only a fraction of his ability. He can control games, he can see passes and balls around corners, he can see the big picture and gets everything tactically. He needs to take responsibility, but that’s normal for a young kid. It took me seven or eight games. I was just keeping it simple and that’s not me. When he gets rid of this injury, he’ll be fine because his football IQ is very high.

Nowhere in there does he claim to "always take the easy option" just that hes playing too safe (for the first team), which is normal for a young kid breaking into the first team, something that Bellamy himself admits to doing when he broke through.

Unless there was more to the interview that wasnt published, but it seems to me a little bit of word twisting to suit a narrative.
    It seems to me that the Mick McCarthy “criticism” of Bellamy was along the same lines - he’s under selling himself. All I’ve heard about Bowen from Steve Morison is a line about him needing to work hard to get back into the first team squad after recovering from his injury.

I’ll not jump to conclusions yet, but, based on what we’ve seen so far, Tuerto’s vision of a Morison side being a workaholic team very much concerned with what it does when not in possession of the ball seems realistic. I’d accept that if, unlike the last few years, we had around seven or eight who knew what to do with the ball when they get it - pretty sure Bowen would have fallen into that category if he had stayed, but, just like his dad, some managers probably consider him a luxury player.

I haven't got a narrative. I was one of the ones pissed off when we were linked to Doyle as I thought it might block Bowens path.

I vaguely remembered the interview, and when another posted about him taking the easy route it rang a bell (or so I thought) with what I'd read previously.

it's disappointing to lose a talented player, but at least he's stayed at a decent level and he's young enough to rise back up the leagues. it's on him now to do it.
    in the past the players we've released have usually ended up at a lot lower level

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's disappointing to lose a talented player, but at least he's stayed at a decent level and he's young enough to rise back up the leagues. it's on him now to do it.
    in the past the players we've released have usually ended up at a lot lower level
    Yes, this is true, its on him to perform and get back up the levels now and hopefully channel his experience under Morison into a positive.

He had a year left with Cardiff so could have taken the easy option and let it ride out, maybe Morison would get sacked next season and then he could come back into the fold.

For the sake of his career I think hes made the right choice, and as someone mentioned earlier in thread follow Josh Sheehan in working his way back up to League one first and then hopefully back in the Championship at some point.

Yes, this is true, its on him to perform and get back up the levels now and hopefully channel his experience under Morison into a positive.

He had a year left with Cardiff so could have taken the easy option and let it ride out, maybe Morison would get sacked next season and then he could come back into the fold.

For the sake of his career I think hes made the right choice, and as someone mentioned earlier in thread follow Josh Sheehan in working his way back up to League one first and then hopefully back in the Championship at some point.
    strange he didn't go there on loan in January though

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It seems to me that the Mick McCarthy “criticism” of Bellamy was along the same lines - he’s under selling himself. All I’ve heard about Bowen from Steve Morison is a line about him needing to work hard to get back into the first team squad after recovering from his injury.

I’ll not jump to conclusions yet, but, based on what we’ve seen so far, Tuerto’s vision of a Morison side being a workaholic team very much concerned with what it does when not in possession of the ball seems realistic. I’d accept that if, unlike the last few years, we had around seven or eight who knew what to do with the ball when they get it - pretty sure Bowen would have fallen into that category if he had stayed, but, just like his dad, some managers probably consider him a luxury player.
    Apologies, it should have read McCarthy criticism of Bowen, not Bellamy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    strange he didn't go there on loan in January though
    I think Newport had used their quota of loans in January

It will be very interesting to see how Morison lines up his Midfield, what type of player he brings in. Like i said in a previous post, i'm certain that he is after energy, but we need that creative spark, the kind of player who can slow the game down, see a pass a couple of seconds before the others, create things in pockets of space in the final third. Is he likely to go that way-is Colwill being lined up for that position? He might well be if Morison decides to bring in players who can do Colwill's defensive work for him and the stuff where he isn't facing the opposition goal, or having to worry that much when we are out of possession, because from what i have seen of Colwill, that just isn't his game, he really struggles with it.

It will be very interesting to see how Morison lines up his Midfield, what type of player he brings in. Like i said in a previous post, i'm certain that he is after energy, but we need that creative spark, the kind of player who can slow the game down, see a pass a couple of seconds before the others, create things in pockets of space in the final third. Is he likely to go that way-is Colwill being lined up for that position? He might well be if Morison decides to bring in players who can do Colwill's defensive work for him and the stuff where he isn't facing the opposition goal, or having to worry that much when we are out of possession, because from what i have seen of Colwill, that just isn't his game, he really struggles with it.
    If he does bring someone in who can pick a pass then it may suit watters more than what he has generally had when given a chance

On that note I felt for zimba at Preston whne he got pulled at half time - number of times he made intelligent runs but noone from the mifldfield played with their head up and picked the run or pass - Morison right to take him off but not through zimbas lack of talent more the lack of nous of our midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Morison right to take him off but not through zimbas lack of talent more the lack of nous of our midfield
    On the subject of Zimba, his loan spell at Northampton doesn't appear to have gone brilliantly - just two starts since joining them in January and he was hooked on 58 minutes and 71 minutes in those games.

His stats at Northampton are: 2 (+10) appearances, 1 goal.

Still time to be a hero, though. The second leg of their play-off semi against Mansfield is on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    On the subject of Zimba, his loan spell at Northampton doesn't appear to have gone brilliantly - just two starts since joining them in January and he was hooked on 58 minutes and 71 minutes in those games.

His stats at Northampton are: 2 (+10) appearances, 1 goal.

Still time to be a hero, though. The second leg of their play-off semi against Mansfield is on Wednesday.
    Didn't he have an injury quite early in though and only recently gone back so missed quite a chunk of his load period?

Didn't he have an injury quite early in though and only recently gone back so missed quite a chunk of his load period?
    Wait and see with amazement as he spins this one.

I think he missed February through injury, but he was back in the side in the first week of March.

I think he missed February through injury, but he was back in the side in the first week of March.
    👍

Still difficult for a young lad with a stop start of a loan period so hopefully gets a good opportunity somewhere next year 👍

Logical analysis of the detailed stats for ZImba ths season indicates that TLG is bang on the mark, despite others wishng to spin it differently.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chan...on/2021/plus/1

It would appear he's had minimal starting opportunities, not lasting a full game once. Sub appearances have been brief and uneventful,with a few late sub apearances to ether waste tme or chase the game.

He's certanly been on the bench more times after injury then the number of games missed due to injury.

Let me flip the question your way: what is it about Morison that you like?
    Come on Underhill, let’s be having you….

Watch us get some money and buy Bowen back for £10 million! 😂