+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think that some people don't want pubs to re-open, whether they are the biggest source of infection or not. As I said I believe that there are people who just are happy to see them shut and if they had their way never reopen, and I believe that such people hold a disproportionate influence in wales.
    'im not arguing one way or the other, it is just my opinion and I'm not going to change it.
    I just don’t understand what’s made you think this? The majority of the country loves a pub whatever class they are and they bring in a lot of money.

The only reason they aren’t open is because of the virus.

Seriously what people in positions of power don’t want them open?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I just don’t understand what’s made you think this? The majority of the country loves a pub whatever class they are and they bring in a lot of money.

There are certain kinds of folks who think that pubs are 'the devil's work' and by and large they tend to be people of a certain kind, religious in a very strict way, or just dour and miserable themselves, products of strict wesleyan type upbringings who tend to think that if someone is enjoying himself its not good. It sounds silly but it is actually true. There are several people just like it in Llandaff where I live who have stopped the local club (which is sponsored by the cathedral) and the pub playing live music (so the club cannot now do wedding receptions for example) tried to shut the local Chinese restaurant and stopped a takeaway from selling kebabs on the pretext it would attract the "wrong kind" most of the members of Llandaff council are of this ilk.. There are people who call the police and complain bout the pubs regularly. When one of the publicans changed a frosted glass window for a sheet glass one to let more light in he was made to replace the frosted glass so "Respectable people passing by didn't have to see men drinking".
    Sadly these people seem to be person who can influence the powers that be to do their bidding. Two of the people who do it in Llandaff are high court judges.
    I agree with you that they are just like Gyms etc which will also be amongst the last to re open but you don't really need a gym to exercise but you do need a pub in a community context. Whether an individual chooses to attend is for him or her.
    I will not hold my breath on pubs reopening in Wales until there are so many day trips to England that it becomes silly.

Sadly these people do actually exist!! Just my opinion as I say. And its not a debating point, but lets wait and see.

Banned

There are certain kinds of folks who think that pubs are 'the devil's work' and by and large they tend to be people of a certain kind, religious in a very strict way, or just dour and miserable themselves, products of strict wesleyan type upbringings who tend to think that if someone is enjoying himself its not good. It sounds silly but it is actually true. There are several people just like it in Llandaff where I live who have stopped the local club (which is sponsored by the cathedral) and the pub playing live music (so the club cannot now do wedding receptions for example) tried to shut the local Chinese restaurant and stopped a takeaway from selling kebabs on the pretext it would attract the "wrong kind" most of the members of Llandaff council are of this ilk.. There are people who call the police and complain bout the pubs regularly. When one of the publicans changed a frosted glass window for a sheet glass one to let more light in he was made to replace the frosted glass so "Respectable people passing by didn't have to see men drinking".
    Sadly these people seem to be person who can influence the powers that be to do their bidding. Two of the people who do it in Llandaff are high court judges.
    I agree with you that they are just like Gyms etc which will also be amongst the last to re open but you don't really need a gym to exercise but you do need a pub in a community context. Whether an individual chooses to attend is for him or her.
    I will not hold my breath on pubs reopening in Wales until there are so many day trips to England that it becomes silly.

Sadly these people do actually exist!! Just my opinion as I say. And its not a debating point, but lets wait and see.
    No-one has denied that such people exist. What we have questioned is the reasoning behind your assertion that such people have a disproportionate amount of power in Wales.

It is odd that you think a gym is not needed to exercise. In fact, a gym is just as essential in a community context. It is a social setting too.

Do you think that the virus is less likely to be transmitted in a pub setting than it is in a gym (for example)?

Banned

xsnaggle, can you explain the UK timeline for opening pubs please? Can you explain how that timeline implies that pubs will open in England before they open in Wales?

Banned

Infection rate increasing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52677194

I'm sure the "go to work, but don't go on public transport, unless you can't get there any other way. You could walk, maybe, but yes at least you can meet your friends but in an outdoor setting, but only when the wind is North Westerly" message will make things better.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Infection rate increasing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52677194

I'm sure the "go to work, but don't go on public transport, unless you can't get there any other way. You could walk, maybe, but yes at least you can meet your friends but in an outdoor setting, but only when the wind is North Westerly" message will make things better.
    "As the figures are based on patients ending up in hospital, they actually give a sense of the R-number from around three weeks ago. "

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

I agree with you that the majority love a pub but sadly we are not ruled by the majority. The only reason they are closed is because of the virus and its a good excuse for some people to lobby to keep them closed.

Does your sister have a contact number about the tracing thing, for my boy?

Banned

I agree with you that the majority love a pub but sadly we are not ruled by the majority. The only reason they are closed is because of the virus and its a good excuse for some people to lobby to keep them closed.

Does your sister have a contact number about the tracing thing, for my boy?
    Who is lobbying for pubs to remain closed?