+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Right then...managerial options

Re: Right then...managerial options

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Some would say that bringing in someone who knows the club, is a strong character and has shown they're thoughtful (in an intelligent way rather than in an Ian Holloway way) about the game would be an ideal appointment. Isn't that basically what Chelsea have done with Frank Lampard?

The club simply must use this year - what is likely to be a midtable year - to really understand and prepare for what they want to happen next.
    Warnock shouldn’t have anything to do with choosing the new manager.

3 names worth considering- mike Flynn, gareth ainsworth and Carl Robinson.

All 3 have proved they can managed and worked really hard at their clubs. I just don’t want a lazy appointment like Trollope was.

Mick McCarthy to offer us a transition phase for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Mick McCarthy to offer us a transition phase for a few seasons.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Our transfer policy has to be the worst in the top two divisions, even worse than Fulham. I think NW has spent £57m on transfer fees (approx) since he's been here and we have no value in our team especially. He did well with free transfers and out of contract players like Bamba, Hoilett, NML and Etheridge were excellent, when he actually spends money it is awful. Paterson has been decent though.

Tomlin (£1.6m), Ward (£1.6m), Bogle (£750k), Paterson (£425k), Madine (£6m), Reid (£10m), Cunningham (£4m), Smithies (£3.5m), Bacuna (£3m), Murphy (£11m),Flint (£6m), Whyte (£2m), Pacl (£750k), Glatzel (£5.5m), Vaulks (£2.1m), Vassell (£2m). Actually that's about £60m if the Pack fee is right.

Not many of those have been exceptional or even good for us, about 5 of them can't get a game, and Flint and Murphy are OK but are they worth the fee? We don't seem to pick up players any more then be able to profit from them , either by having good performances on the pitch or selling one (Zohore being one exception). Plus the gambles last season on loans of Camarasa, Arter and Niasse, only one of whom played well.

Unfortunately our 'friends' down West have spent shedfulls too but sold a load of players for big fees to keep them going.

How much would we get back for ours listed above. Some will be released at the end of the season (Bogle, Ward, Tomlin). Two of those were deemed not good enough not long after we signed them and sent out on loans, now we want them as first choices. It shows how far backwards we have gone, so to be where we are and 6 points of the top is no bad.

We need someone in who can do what Dave Jones did, sign - in his words 'waifs and strays' and get them to perform and then sell them on for big fees, Loovens, Johnson, Chopra etc.
    Do we really want to go back to those days, whereby as soon as we signed someone more than useful the vultures were circling and we were forced to sell because we didnt have a pot to piss in?

I'd certainly like us to be signing the likes of the forementioned players, rather than the crocks & stiffs that Warnock seems to favour, but I would like us to build upon such players and not sell all the time, as we have done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Do we really want to go back to those days, whereby as soon as we signed someone more than useful the vultures were circling and we were forced to sell because we didnt have a pot to piss in?

I'd certainly like us to be signing the likes of the forementioned players, rather than the crocks & stiffs that Warnock seems to favour, but I would like us to build upon such players and not sell all the time, as we have done in the past.
    Well we’ve at least got a pot to piss in now, so I don’t think that’s a worry.

I think when you’re outside the elite you’ll always have the vultures waiting, look at Brentford for example always seem to be selling players.

Obviously we’d like to keep them and build so I agree there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

No I didn't mean that, but for the club's finances it's clearly better to pay a decent fee and when we sell on make a profit or at least break even. Under Warnock we have just spent money madly and would struggle to get half of it back. So many of his signings have proved to be not good enough. like I said fans are now clamouring for the inclusion of Ward, Bogle, Tomlin and Bamba, and even accepting that Bacuna has a regular place in midfield. two seasons ago that would have been unthought of, except for Bamba of course.

Although to be fair Warnock doesn't seem very tolerant of players if they don't perform- Tomlin and Bogle quickly sent out on loan within months of signing for us. Now glazed has finally been dropped and Ward gets the noid , with Bogle to come on late in the game. It's just we have too many players underperforming at the moment. Only a few have been consistent this season, Etheridge, Smithies, Ralls and Peltier (consistently good that is!).

But we got out money back and maybe made a small profit on Reid when he eventually goes to Fulham. I suppose the fees on Ward, Bogle and Tomlin are not that big and will be written off when they go. But Glatzell and Madine were £11.5m and I doubt we'd get much back for either of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Glaztel returns to Germany iN January, he doesn't look as though he is enjoying himself.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Well we’ve at least got a pot to piss in now, so I don’t think that’s a worry.

I think when you’re outside the elite you’ll always have the vultures waiting, look at Brentford for example always seem to be selling players.

Obviously we’d like to keep them and build so I agree there.
    Agree but the pot has been diminished by Warnock's poor spending. And we now have to pay for Sala so I expect he'll have to unload a few before he gets replacements. We are mid table and need a decent run now until January, which would maybe let the owner invest even more?

Chris Hughton for me

How about Andy Legg ????

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If Southampton go on a bad run and sack hassenhuttl (sp?) Then I would definitely have him here
    0-7

He could be available sooner than you think

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If Southampton go on a bad run and sack hassenhuttl (sp?) Then I would definitely have him here
    After tonights 9-0 defeat at home for Southampton, I think Mr Hasenhuttl might be given his P45 shortly. Would I want him here? No thanks. I saw little improvement with the Saints once the usual "new manager bounce" had taken place

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    After tonights 9-0 defeat at home for Southampton, I think Mr Hasenhuttl might be given his P45 shortly. Would I want him here? No thanks. I saw little improvement with the Saints once the usual "new manager bounce" had taken place
    Just enough to escape relegation. Another team we should have finished above.

You can hardly blame him for that, 10 men losing 9-0 at home isn't the managers fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    You can hardly blame him for that, 10 men losing 9-0 at home isn't the managers fault.
    Generally agree but he said after that he took 100% responsibility