+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cancel culture

Re: Cancel culture

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Didn't Jim Davidson get ostracised for something or other?
    Being a useless, unfunny c*nt if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I just watched it and I don't think the woman was "obliterated" at all. As you say he was on air simply with the purpose of promoting his gigs. I thought he came across as afraid to develop any question she posed and simply flounced ASAP. A fantastic comedian but this wasn't one of his best performances.
    I would agree she wasn't obliterated. and if he had been a politician he would have expected to be asked questions outside those he had been asked on for. But these sort of interviews are usually meant to promote what the interviewee is doing. Look at the Graham Norton show. I enjoy it mut much of it is just a plug for what the guests are currently doing.

If Tom Cruise was on and Graham suddenly said "Now Tom I would like your views on scientology" he would get very short shrift.

The first general question about cancel culture was probably acceptable.But then she asked a second after which it was pretty obvious he wantd to get the interview back to where it was intended. She didn't take the hint and aslked a third question at w3hich point he quite rightly felt he had had enough.

I don't think he was afraid to develop any question she asked,he just didn't want to. Which is his right.

As he said at one point it is a very complex subject. If the BBC had wanted the interview to be about that they shouild have made it plain before hand

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I would agree she wasn't obliterated. and if he had been a politician he would have expected to be asked questions outside those he had been asked on for. But these sort of interviews are usually meant to promote what the interviewee is doing. Look at the Graham Norton show. I enjoy it mut much of it is just a plug for what the guests are currently doing.

If Tom Cruise was on and Graham suddenly said "Now Tom I would like your views on scientology" he would get very short shrift.

The first general question about cancel culture was probably acceptable.But then she asked a second after which it was pretty obvious he wantd to get the interview back to where it was intended. She didn't take the hint and aslked a third question at w3hich point he quite rightly felt he had had enough.

I don't think he was afraid to develop any question she asked,he just didn't want to. Which is his right.

As he said at one point it is a very complex subject. If the BBC had wanted the interview to be about that they shouild have made it plain before hand
    I don't think these people should be interviewed just to get a free plug.

Fair point perhaps the BBC should have discussed with him the full remit of the interview. But to be honest this is a non story really. The interviewer handled it well in my opinion and he just flounced. Not much to it really.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Cancel culture is a right-wing myth. They didn't seem to have a problem with it when they were burning Beatles records.
    This. The use of the word “woke” is also derogatory and meant to be seen in a bad light. Right wingers moan about cancel culture but are up in arms if somebody says something that doesn’t fit into their narrow view of the world.

Cancel culture more made up nonsense imported by the far right looney toons in the good old US of A.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    This. The use of the word “woke” is also derogatory and meant to be seen in a bad light. Right wingers moan about cancel culture but are up in arms if somebody says something that doesn’t fit into their narrow view of the world.
    Just imagine calling them gammons, strewth!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Exactly. If you're not woke what are you? Asleep? Unconcious? Criticizing "wokeness" is just a method to sweep the ugly truth under carpet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There's loads

Chubby Brown for one
    Chubby brown is doing as many gigs as ever. People don’t find the word “Paki” a good punchline any more so he probably isn’t selling as many tickets.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/roy-chubby-brown-tickets/artist/797453

Jim Davidson is still doing shows he just isn’t as popular any more because he’s a prick

https://www.jimdavidson.org.uk/tour-dates/

Come on where’s the rest of the “loads”? What do you being cancelled means?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I do think that comedy will suffer from the caution around edgy comment as it becomes a society of political correctness, it maybe for the good it may well restict free comedy

Bill Hicks will be turning in his grave
    I go see a different stand up every few weeks. In what way do you think it’s restricting comedy?

It doesn’t seem any more restricted to me?

I think it is overblown as a phrase, but there are loads of examples, especially on universities and in the mainstream media which is pretty intolerant of things it deems not polite.

So yeah, it is overblown but the people on here saying cancel culture doesn't exist is a bit like a load of white guys saying racism doesn't exist.

It does go on and people are definitely fearful of voicing their opinions in front of many 'liberals' in much the same way that others are in front of some conservatives, especially in the past. I have a friend at BBC radio Wales who strongly stated this was the case there. You just have to toe the line to the prevailing elite.

None of this is good and pretending it doesn't exist at all is daft

Also listen to the podcast dear Joan and jericha if you want something off the wall and very “un PC” it’s like a modern Derrick and Clive.

It’s always sunny is in its 15th season and has had 2 episodes of full black face ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think it is overblown as a phrase, but there are loads of examples, especially on universities and in the mainstream media which is pretty intolerant of things it deems not polite.

So yeah, it is overblown but the people on here saying cancel culture doesn't exist is a bit like a load of white guys saying racism doesn't exist.

It does go on and people are definitely fearful of voicing their opinions in front of many 'liberals' in much the same way that others are in front of some conservatives.

None of this is good and pretending it doesn't exist at all is daft
    Give us an example I think you’re taking it out of the realm of comedians being cancelled here though, which is what the thread was about.

There’s been a few people stopped talking at student unions after protests, which has always happened. Some rightly some wrongly, that’s how protesting works. But that isn’t being cancelled is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Give us an example I think you’re taking it out of the realm of comedians being cancelled here though.
    I think you have Google yourself, don't you? But JK Rowling, Rod Liddle, Germaine Greer, Laurence Fox all spring to mind from recent years. They may still get work, but only because theyve overcome others attempts to prevent it.

Cancel culture doesn't have to mean someone is cancelled, it can mean others want them cancelled and are intolerant of their right to even air their views.

It's not good and most genuine liberals across the spectrum accept that

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54374824

I go see a different stand up every few weeks. In what way do you think it’s restricting comedy?

It doesn’t seem any more restricted to me?
    I do think live events are different I just see the hesitation on TV , for example Frankie Boyle is very dumbed down ?

Did we not see attempts to stop Faulty Towers .?

BBC banning this for some reason. Bloody Angries to blame I bet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_...a_****ing_****

People get "canceled" when they are no longer economically viable.
    Tell that to Louis CK

People get "canceled" when they are no longer economically viable.
    Or populist

I think you have Google yourself, don't you? But JK Rowling, Rod Liddle, Germaine Greer, Laurence Fox all spring to mind from recent years. They may still get work, but only because theyve overcome others attempts to prevent it.

Cancel culture doesn't have to mean someone is cancelled, it can mean others want them cancelled and are intolerant of their right to even air their views.

JK Rowling is nowhere near to being cancelled. All the Harry Potter movies are available to watch on TV. There's a Broadway show, and there's a 20-year retrospective coming out with a huge advertising push. She made some remarks that some considered controversial. Same with Germaine Greer. The Female Eunuch is still in print.

How are any of them cancelled they’re all still working in the media.

What do you think being cancelled is?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Tell that to Louis CK
    Wasn’t he caught wanking at women he works with? Do you think people should do whatever they want with 0 consequences?

Also he’s doing live shows still - https://louisck.com/

So am I wrong or do people think being cancelled just means people having a go on Twitter or something?

Everyone mentioned so far is still working but a lot of people think they’re arse holes due to their actions.

Isn’t this how life has always worked?

So am I wrong or do people think being cancelled just means people having a go on Twitter or something?

Everyone mentioned so far is still working but a lot of people think they’re arse holes due to their actions.

Isn’t this how life has always worked?
    It depends on what your see and what you view is, all I know people like Ricky Gervais , Clarkson , Lipman , Cleese, Larry David, to name a few, feel the comedy of the past is under attack .

Cancel culture is a right-wing myth. They didn't seem to have a problem with it when they were burning Beatles records.
    Just to emphasise that the non-Angries of today lived through Mary Whitehouse world and others. Here are a list of the songs that have been banned at times by the BBC. Also the Sex Pistols come to Caerphilly 1976

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ned_by_the_BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY0T_8wrI0

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It depends on what your see and what you view is, all I know people like Ricky Gervais , Clarkson , Lipman , Cleese, Larry David, to name a few, feel the comedy of the past is under attack .
    What do you mean the comedy of the past is under attack? How and where

JK Rowling is nowhere near to being cancelled. All the Harry Potter movies are available to watch on TV. There's a Broadway show, and there's a 20-year retrospective coming out with a huge advertising push. She made some remarks that some considered controversial. Same with Germaine Greer. The Female Eunuch is still in print.
    Depends on your definition of the term. "Cancel culture" doesn't literally have to mean someone is cancelled from every event ad infinitum. That would of course be the extreme end for which there would be very few examples.

It may mean a single or several examples. Or it may refer to the culture of intolerant activists seeking to have someone cancelled or removed from a bill because they don't like them.

It may also refer to the culture of people avoiding offending these people by changing their act or avoiding topics that may offend some who easily take offence. This would be the most common scenario I imagine.

Again, as I said, I think the term is overblown but none of it is good, and pretending it doesn't exist at all is I think a little naive and may point to you not personally experiencing it