+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales to launch pilot universal basic income scheme

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wales to launch pilot universal basic income scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Drakeford says Westminster has to be on board for this to work, so there is your answer
    Where did he say that? I know he said it for social care reform but haven't heard him say it in relation to this and I've read various articles about it.

Maybe we'll find UBI pays for itself as it lessen the burden on an expensive and stretched NHS because all those people with dodgy ailments won't be clogging up the Doctors needing sick/fit notes and taking unnecessary perscriptions to avoid job seeking. This isn't a dig at the genuine who need support.

However, there still needs to be a support mechanism for those who genuinely want to work.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Where did he say that? I know he said it for social care reform but haven't heard him say it in relation to this and I've read various articles about it.

Maybe we'll find UBI pays for itself as it lessen the burden on an expensive and stretched NHS because all those people with dodgy ailments won't be clogging up the Doctors needing sick/fit notes and taking unnecessary perscriptions to avoid job seeking. This isn't a dig at the genuine who need support.

However, there still needs to be a support mechanism for those who genuinely want to work.
    from the Grauniad article
    Earlier this week a Welsh government spokesperson sounded a cautious note, saying: In principle, the idea of a universal basic income has its benefits. To introduce this in Wales would require an active commitment from the UK government as the welfare system is not devolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    from the Grauniad article
    Thanks. I saw the spokesperson quote but noticed the comment wasn't attributed to Drakeford. It'll be interesting to see if Westminster are willing to use Wales (or a location in Wales) as an experiment to see if it can actually work and be cost effective by reducing the burden on other services and boosting the economy by effectively giving everyone including the poorly paid a better chance and making some important but woefully underpaid jobs (carers) more attractive.