+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Covid 19.....You are going to get it ....100%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Covid 19.....You are going to get it ....100%

Some people have a misconception that Covid-19 is like other infectious diseases such as measles which confer life-long immunity. But there is no current evidence to exclude the possibility of Covid-19 re-infection.

Given the significant mortality and morbidity rates of Covid-19 everyone would do well to do everything they can to avoid it. The only way to get some kind of normality is to attempt to eliminate the virus from the community using test, trace and isolate with strict border controls. Other countries have shown this can be done but it requires the political will to make it happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Some people have a misconception that Covid-19 is like other infectious diseases such as measles which confer life-long immunity. But there is no current evidence to exclude the possibility of Covid-19 re-infection.

Given the significant mortality and morbidity rates of Covid-19 everyone would do well to do everything they can to avoid it. The only way to get some kind of normality is to attempt to eliminate the virus from the community using test, trace and isolate with strict border controls. Other countries have shown this can be done but it requires the political will to make it happen.
    Borders have already re-opened, and by the time spikes are reported in those countries it is too late to close borders effectively.

We are now at a stage of "regional lockdowns". However, what is stopping people travelling from Manchester to London today? Absolutely nothing. People were questioning Drakeford's "5 mile radius" logic, with lisvaneblue claiming that it herded people into hotspots. No, what the 5 mile radius did was ensure that the virus didn't spread quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Borders have already re-opened, and by the time spikes are reported in those countries it is too late to close borders effectively.

We are now at a stage of "regional lockdowns". However, what is stopping people travelling from Manchester to London today? Absolutely nothing. People were questioning Drakeford's "5 mile radius" logic, with lisvaneblue claiming that it herded people into hotspots. No, what the 5 mile radius did was ensure that the virus didn't spread quickly.
    I stand by what I said. The 5 mile rule effectively kept people in areas with high infection rates within those areas. All Covid needs in order to spread is to find another host, be it within 5 miles or 500. If you concentrate people within areas where the virus is prevalent then it is more likely to find 'hosts'. An extreme example being care homes.
    The other side of the coin is that if you live in an area with a low rate then the 5 mile rule in theory helps keep the incidence low. In Wales that only really happened in the more remote areas of Cardigan and Powys.
    Drakeford's rule also seem to ignore the fact that Wales has a 120mile long border with England and anyone living with 5 miles of that could drive over the border and from there anywhere in England. The whole thing was a nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I stand by what I said. The 5 mile rule effectively kept people in areas with high infection rates within those areas. All Covid needs in order to spread is to find another host, be it within 5 miles or 500. If you concentrate people within areas where the virus is prevalent then it is more likely to find 'hosts'. An extreme example being care homes.
    Which is where local reintroduction of lockdowns comes in. Allowing people from a high infection area to travel makes it even more likely for the virus to find hosts and spread further.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Which is where local reintroduction of lockdowns comes in. Allowing people from a high infection area to travel makes it even more likely for the virus to find hosts and spread further.
    The local lockdowns in England are to keep people apart..ie stop them meeting in groups etc etc. Travel is not restricted.
    We have not had any local lockdowns in Wales, just national initiatives including the 5 mile rule, which if it was so good should be in action now in Wrexham.

In Wales the areas with the highest incidence are a long way from the English border, so no excuses for those who live close to the border and could catch it in England. They are Cardiff, Rhondda, Swansea, and worse of all are Wrexham and Merthyr.

The there is no scientific evidence that the 5 mile rule worked. It was imposed on a whim.

Banned

The local lockdowns in England are to keep people apart..ie stop them meeting in groups etc etc. Travel is not restricted.
    We have not had any local lockdowns in Wales, just national initiatives including the 5 mile rule, which if it was so good should be in action now in Wrexham.

In Wales the areas with the highest incidence are a long way from the English border, so no excuses for those who live close to the border and could catch it in England. They are Cardiff, Rhondda, Swansea, and worse of all are Wrexham and Merthyr.

The there is no scientific evidence that the 5 mile rule worked. It was imposed on a whim.
    OK, you're going to have to explain to me how it makes sense to stop two people meeting in one house in Blackburn, but there is nothing in the guidelines to stop a family from Blackburn popping down to Birmingham for a weekend to meet their family there.

Surely, if there was a 5 mile radius, that example family wouldn't have the opportunity to potentially visit a different City and to potentially cause the spread of the virus from Blackburn to Birmingham?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    OK, you're going to have to explain to me how it makes sense to stop two people meeting in one house in Blackburn, but there is nothing in the guidelines to stop a family from Blackburn popping down to Birmingham for a weekend to meet their family there.

Surely, if there was a 5 mile radius, that example family wouldn't have the opportunity to potentially visit a different City and to potentially cause the spread of the virus from Blackburn to Birmingham?
    Depends on who their 'local' butcher is.

There is no scientific evidence that letting people go wherever they want, especially for their meat, doesn't pose a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There is no scientific evidence that letting people go wherever they want, especially for their meat, doesn't pose a threat.
    You may be pleased to know that eventually I got to Brecon once Drakeford allowed it. Deep into Powys and came back with some good Welsh lamb and no Covid issues.

At the time I wrote to my AM about the travel restrictions preventing me from zipping up the A 470 and she recommended three butchers in North Cardiff. Point is if I had the virus I could pass it on to a butcher be it in Cardiff or Brecon. If the butcher had the virus in either town he could pass it on to me. But the chances of the butchers being contagious in Cardiff was a greater risk as it was a hot spot, whereas Powys was and is not.

You know the way the virus spreads and in my view Wales has moderately well by imposing very strict stay at home guidance, but failed with testing. The 5 mile travel rule was suspect because it kept many people in Wales stuck in hot spots eg You could travel anywhere as long as it was within your hot spot. Ridiculous really.

Big problem in Wrexham right now and no imposition of the travel restrictions says a lot. So someone from that town could travel to Blackburn or Birmingham, or even Cardiff, and the Wales Government cares not a toss. Why? Probably because they now know that the 5 mile rule was a load of tosh

Or just to do something a little different to BoJo in England, as it sure as hell looked like that

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Or just to do something a little different to BoJo in England, as it sure as hell looked like that
    Wales' record in preventing deaths and the spread of Covid has been more successful than England. Is that a wrong approach?