+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cheltenham 3 County 4 ....after 40 minutes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cheltenham 3 County 4 ....after 40 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    If he wasn’t managing Newport would anyone care about him? He’s achieved no more than Slade has and that was a dire appointment at the time
    I asked this in another thread and it got ignored so I'll ask it again: Would he even be spoken about if he was the English manager of Colchester or Cheltenham with a similar recent record, and currently 7th in League 2? And if he was in the frame would anyone on here be pushing for him?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I asked this in another thread and it got ignored so I'll ask it again: Would he even be spoken about if he was the English manager of Colchester or Cheltenham with a similar recent record, and currently 7th in League 2? And if he was in the frame would anyone on here be pushing for him?
    Or an Armenian managing a side a the top of the Armenian league. Or the manager of a Sasuolo or Monterey..

The reason we know about Flynn is because he manages a Welsh side. It doesn't mean that he isn't doing a good job or anyone who suggests him is being anglophobic. It just means we know as much about League One and League Two as we do the Armenian League or even Serie A.....pretty much nothing.

Your average football fan (and I include myself in that) knows very little about sides that aren't their own. How many Bristol City players can you name ? We played them last week but most of us would probably struggle to name half the first team.

I know for fact that Flynn has taken County to the play-off final and to the latter stages of the FA cup on a shoestring budget. He kept them up when they looked stuffed and has had them finishing in the top half of the table for the last three seasons and is continuing to do well this season. County are 3 or 4 points off top spot.

Nobody can guarantee he'd be a success and frankly, if you offered me someone like Bilic or Flynn , I'd take Bilic, but we don't appear to be in the market for anyone of that calibre so, from the lot that have been touted , I'd be happy to have Flynn at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Or an Armenian managing a side a the top of the Armenian league. Or the manager of a Sasuolo or Monterey..

The reason we know about Flynn is because he manages a Welsh side. It doesn't mean that he isn't doing a good job or anyone who suggests him is being anglophobic. It just means we know as much about League One and League Two as we do the Armenian League or even Serie A.....pretty much nothing.

Your average football fan (and I include myself in that) knows very little about sides that aren't their own. How many Bristol City players can you name ? We played them last week but most of us would probably struggle to name half the first team.

I know for fact that Flynn has taken County to the play-off final and to the latter stages of the FA cup on a shoestring budget. He kept them up when they looked stuffed and has had them finishing in the top half of the table for the last three seasons and is continuing to do well this season. County are 3 or 4 points off top spot.

Nobody can guarantee he'd be a success and frankly, if you offered me someone like Bilic or Flynn , I'd take Bilic, but we don't appear to be in the market for anyone of that calibre so, from the lot that have been touted , I'd be happy to have Flynn at the club.
    My point is that if he wasn't Welsh and managing a club down the road I don't think you'd be banging the drum so hard for him, and in fact I don't think he'd be in the conversation. Personally I want a bit more ambition from the club than picking the guy who's Welsh and down the road and doing alright two divisions below us.

And for the record, in case Tan's reading, I don't want Vardan Minasyan either