+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas

Christmas

Anyone got any idea what I can get my mother for Christmas?

Re: Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Sexy underwear? Boob job?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    I googled "what to buy your 15 year old daughter for Christmas" as she's got everything. I've settled on cash.

You'll be surprised at what sort of articles and "top 10 lists" pop up in the search results.

Sludge's phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Sludge's phone number?
    C'mon mate, I presume he was after something nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Like sext underwear after having a boob job, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Like sext underwear after having a boob job, obviously.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Sludge's phone number?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm sure Sludge will confirm that Christmas is all about giving.

I just give money to the homeless and tell my old dear if it wasn't for me , that would be her

Sort of giving with one hand and taking away with the other

On the whole I absolutely detest Christmas and find it incredibly boring

Christmas lost its appeal for me when shops (and some houses!) put deccies up in September.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Christmas lost its appeal for me when shops (and some houses!) put deccies up in September.
    Doesn't really happen any more, does it? I agree when it happened, but seems to me that retailers seem to have waited until at least early November before letting loose

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Doesn't really happen any more, does it? I agree when it happened, but seems to me that retailers seem to have waited until at least early November before letting loose
    Plenty of people put their x mass decorations up early

A bloke round here does his whole house up including a santa on the roof together with fake reindeer and snow

It takes him about ten nights after finishing work and the weekend

It's a free country but I think he would be better off chilling out and donating money to charity

Got to get mine a hearing aid….do you have to go to the doctors which will be a mission, or can you just by any old shit?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Got to get mine a hearing aid….do you have to go to the doctors which will be a mission, or can you just by any old shit?
    https://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/hearing-aids Specsavers do them believe it or not, free test too

Personally, I think Christmas presents should only be for children. We all receive crap we have no interest in but that other people think we would like and we reciprocate similarly - and most of us would have already bought stuff we really wanted. I'm an atheist but it's a terribly vulgar consumer fest for me.
    If you aren't primarily thinking about the baby Jesus simply look at it as a time to spend time with the people you love.
    End of sermon

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Personally, I think Christmas presents should only be for children. We all receive crap we have no interest in but that other people think we would like and we reciprocate similarly - and most of us would have already bought stuff we really wanted. I'm an atheist but it's a terribly vulgar consumer fest for me.
    If you aren't primarily thinking about the baby Jesus simply look at it as a time to spend time with the people you love.
    End of sermon
    my ex used to go crazy for Christmas and expect numerous very expensive presents. the new Mrs rjk is from a culture that doesn't celebrate Christmas. she'll tell me not to get her anything and she doesn't get me anything, and frankly it is a much better situation

End of sermon
    Xmas is bollocks

End of sermon
    End of sermon
    People trapped in meaningless man-made traditions which have zilch to do with the birth of Christ. I agree with you.
    All I would add is this; children like facts - tell them this is NOT the time of year that Christ was born and that it is an official birthday - just like the Queen has an official birthday which isn't her actual birthday.
    Also, now that we have plenty of excellent star charting software available (much of it free online) that we can actually look back and see what was seen in the sky in the years and months leading up to the actual event, which all tie in perfectly with each of the 9 Bible references to the 'star' that was seen before His birth.

This video > THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM < provides all the detail which you will need, and those with limited time can start from 31 minutes into the presentation. NB: All the details in the video can be verified on any decent astronomy programme such as this >> Stellarium.

When was he born then? I dont think the shepherds would have been watching their flocks in the middle of winter, so I'm guessing it was a few months either side?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    https://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/hearing-aids Specsavers do them believe it or not, free test too
    You could spend 1,500'ish or get them for nothing on the NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    People trapped in meaningless man-made traditions which have zilch to do with the birth of Christ. I agree with you.
    All I would add is this; children like facts - tell them this is NOT the time of year that Christ was born and that it is an official birthday - just like the Queen has an official birthday which isn't her actual birthday.
    Also, now that we have plenty of excellent star charting software available (much of it free online) that we can actually look back and see what was seen in the sky in the years and months leading up to the actual event, which all tie in perfectly with each of the 9 Bible references to the 'star' that was seen before His birth.

This video > THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM < provides all the detail which you will need, and those with limited time can start from 31 minutes into the presentation. NB: All the details in the video can be verified on any decent astronomy programme such as this >> Stellarium.
    Aha, the snake charmer is back!

Christmas has evolved into a give/buy fest.

People don't even pretend it's about Jesus or religion anymore.

I won't stop buying my daughter nice gifts at Xmas just because a few old blokes on CCMB look down their noses at it.

In a sense we get the Christmas we deserve. It's no good moaning about the expense of it all or crowded shops or road congestion or unwanted presents or houses with illuminated Santa Claus's on the roofs when what was originally a simple Christian event (the Christ Mass) has been seized upon as a huge money making opportunity in which we, whether we like it or not, are all impacted by it.

The Jehovah Witnesses (I am not one BTW) do not celebrate the birth of Jesus per se as they see it as the extension of a pagan festival and that nowhere in the New Testament is there a request that we should do so, which is fair enough. They overlook the fact though that December 25th is simply an official birthday as the precise time of his birth is not recorded. As a Christian it would not bother me at all if his birthday was shifted to say the 25th September but somehow I don't think that would go down too well in the world of commerce!

Hence the JW's have no involvement in the whole “Christmas thing” which must require a great deal of will power in these consumerist times and I admire them for that. They would obviously not condone my actions as a Christian who sends Christmas cards and buys presents for our grandchildren (we have a “no presents thank you” amnesty with other members of the family). My attitude is that as long as this does not overshadow and diminish the true meaning of Christmas, then I am easy with this.

I won't stop buying my daughter nice gifts at Xmas just because a few old blokes on CCMB look down their noses at it.
    Nobody suggests that you shouldn't do, old fruit. One can express one's own sentiments about a subject on a message board without imploring others to follow suit.

By people I presume you mean most people?