+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy to Celtic.

Re: McCarthy to Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Agent looking out for his employee. Good on him.
    40/1 on Sky same as Nathan Jones, 35th favourite no chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I fear they are destined to be disappointed with the caliber of manager they're expecting to go there.
    They say that Rodgers went there after almost winning the premier league - and there was probably a time in the not too distant past that they could compete with clubs at the top level of the English pyramid.
    In reality Rodgers was sacked with Liverpool in 10th, having finished 6th the previous season and performed poorly in Europe. He was out of work for half a year and certainly not linked with any big jobs in the premier league at that time. His reputation was very much improved by the time he finished his exploits at Celtic.

I've also seen some Celtic fans thinking they are going to poach the manager of Red Bull Saltzburg - I really can't see it personally, but stranger things have happened.
    Its not beyond the realms of possibility, Celtic are a massive club. Its a chance to pick up some silverware, enhance your reputation and get paid well

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I think it’s fair to say that Celtic have huge delusions of grandeur.
    Reasonably big club playing in a pub league.
    An embarrassment in Europe every year losing out to other “mickey mouse” clubs from third world countries
    The money, opportunities to win local silverware and play in Europe will ensure they get a decent manager, but any achievements on his CV will be tempered by the lack of any opposition in the league.
    Reasonably big is underselling them a bit, Wolves are a reasonably big club, Celtic are easily one of the biggest clubs in Britain

What price another old City MM going there, currently performance director of the Scottish Football Association

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What price another old City MM going there, currently performance director of the Scottish Football Association
    He's a billy boy isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    FFS ...

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    FFS ...
    Well is he or isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I think it’s fair to say that Celtic have huge delusions of grandeur.
    Reasonably big club playing in a pub league.
    An embarrassment in Europe every year losing out to other “mickey mouse” clubs from third world countries
    The money, opportunities to win local silverware and play in Europe will ensure they get a decent manager, but any achievements on his CV will be tempered by the lack of any opposition in the league.
    I am sure Rangers will try and run them close again next season .

Well is he or isn't he?
    He is a Celt . Used to play for them .
    When we were put out in red , he said it was fine , it was only a colour . So he was asked about Celtic changing from the green and white to say , red ..
    He skipped the question ...

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Reasonably big is underselling them a bit, Wolves are a reasonably big club, Celtic are easily one of the biggest clubs in Britain
    don't underestimate the decline of Scottish football over the last couple of decades though, money has left the game.
    most championship clubs get way more revenue than almost all of the spl.

the job is a bit of a poisoned chalice as well I'd say. whoever goes in basically has to win multiple trophies not to be considered a failure.

I can't see someone walking out in Rb saltzburg who dominate the Austrian league, and have had some good European campaigns recently, and where there's a good chance that you could get shifted up.to r b Leipzig when someone comes in for nagelsmann.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Well, I for one hope Cardiff keep McCarthy on after the season ends.
    But then, we all said the same thing about Harris, didn't we?
    No we didn't. He cost us the playoffs.

Also don't want MM here longer than this season, that's not to say he isn't doing an excellent job which of course he is. He is doing what we brought him in to do and that's a short term fix and doing it brilliantly.

Ex-Celtic defender Malky Mackay?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    don't underestimate the decline of Scottish football over the last couple of decades though, money has left the game.
    most championship clubs get way more revenue than almost all of the spl.

the job is a bit of a poisoned chalice as well I'd say. whoever goes in basically has to win multiple trophies not to be considered a failure.

I can't see someone walking out in Rb saltzburg who dominate the Austrian league, and have had some good European campaigns recently, and where there's a good chance that you could get shifted up.to r b Leipzig when someone comes in for nagelsmann.
    I'm not saying he'll definitely go, but Celtic are on another level to most clubs. In spite of the poor standards of Scottish football they averaged 57,000 fans

Having to win trophies and dominating a poor European league would hardly be a huge change in circumstance for someone who managed Salzburg, but Celtic certainly have a higher ceiling. Getting them into Europe with the European money flowing in limits the importance of domestic TV revenues

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    No we didn't. He cost us the playoffs.

Also don't want MM here longer than this season, that's not to say he isn't doing an excellent job which of course he is. He is doing what we brought him in to do and that's a short term fix and doing it brilliantly.
    So, scenario for you. We get into play offs, win the final and get promoted to Premier League and then your recommendation would be to get rid of Mick McCarthy !! Some people will just never admit they are wrong.

Really ? You dont mind hoof ball as long as we are winning?

Really ?
    100%, if you would choose quality of football over winning then I don't know what to say to you

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    100%, if you would choose quality of football over winning then I don't know what to say to you
    Agree. Whats the point of trying to play like Barcelona or Brazil every week if you lose every game and get relegated ? The stadium would soon be empty and people would be queuing up on here to request the manager be sacked.

I want football that wont make your eyes bleed .

You are saying whatever I am served up ,I should be happy as long as we win?

Nah I have had enough of that . The last time the football was truly enjoyable was Dave Jones era .

I want to be entertained . Not every minute of every game but at least some kind of excitement.

I was happy to pay my money when Lee Tomlin was playing.

I know what I need to say to you though. I understand your point of view . You are entitled to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Agree. Whats the point of trying to play like Barcelona or Brazil every week if you lose every game and get relegated ? The stadium would soon be empty and people would be queuing up on here to request the manager be sacked.
    You cant play decent football and win?

There is no future in hit and hope football in the modern game.

There is of course a place for the long ball, mix it up though.

And we are mixing it up Jim, we’ve been knocking it about quite frequently lately. Some of our longish balls have been played with a purpose rather than hit and hope, Murphy’s long cross for Bennett’s winner at Rotherham was spot on. We’re the second highest scorers in the division, they can’t all have been from free kicks, corners & throw ins, some have been beauties. I like good football but knocking it back and forth without any progress is mind numbing to me, different if you’re Man City and the passing moves you up the pitch and invariably ends up in the net but we can but dream to attain that level. Becoming a ‘square ball’ team would leave me cold and that’s how some teams have played against us, not for me. The ball in the back of the net is the be all and end all really and we’re not doing too bad in that respect.

These conversations usually end the same way with two camps talking about the extremes of the long ball and passing games. For myself, I belong more in the latter camp than the former one, but that doesn’t mean I want endless passing, I want better passing than we’ve seen at Cardiff for the best part of ten years. Our best passer of the ball, who has been playing well lately, gave away a goal on Wednesday because he presented the ball straight to our opponents - it would be wrong to say it was a simple pass Pack messed up, but it wasn’t that difficult.

I think the way we’ve played recently has been effective and it has had quality to it - we’re more effective going forward because we’re not leaving our striker to fight by himself thereby allowing our match winners to get involved in areas where they can change games. What I’ve never been able to understand in the last decade though is why however we’ve tried to play the game since 2014, it has to be done with consistently low passing accuracy figures - do you have to sacrifice the ability to pass the ball well if you opt to play like we’ve done under Slade, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy?

Nah I have had enough of that . The last time the football was truly enjoyable was Dave Jones era .

I want to be entertained . Not every minute of every game but at least some kind of excitement.

I know what I need to say to you though. I understand your point of view . You are entitled to it.
    Fair enough mate..wining is all it's about for me, couldn't care less how we do it.

Folk talk about Brentford, Swansea etc., but a decade ago most sides in the Championship were playing good, fast, open football, City especially. Managers have become more pragmatic in recent years with Warnock Harris and McCarthy at the sharp end of the spectrum. Gradually over 3 seasons in the Championship [the one in the PL excluded], we've become less and less attractive to watch. The promotion side was quite good at times, last season so-so, but this season it's not pretty - even the likes of Vaulks admitted so.

Fair enough mate..wining is all it's about for me, couldn't care less how we do it.
    Winning not wining, although I whine a lot too.

You can but you have to buy people like Ronaldo and Messi then pay them £250K a week each.
    Sucess is the point and that's why there's a danger that we could lose MM - Sucess is a valuable commodity .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Folk talk about Brentford, Swansea etc., but a decade ago most sides in the Championship were playing good, fast, open football, City especially. Managers have become more pragmatic in recent years with Warnock Harris and McCarthy at the sharp end of the spectrum. Gradually over 3 seasons in the Championship [the one in the PL excluded], we've become less and less attractive to watch. The promotion side was quite good at times, last season so-so, but this season it's not pretty - even the likes of Vaulks admitted so.
    I cant believe that you actually think that last seasons or previous years football was better than this. You obviously haven't been watching, the last 8 games especially. We have a centre forward who can actually score goals with his head or feet, works hard as well for 90 minutes and will probably get over 20 goals ; we have one of the most gifted midfielders in the division in Wilson who any of the other teams in the division would take immediately ;we have two fleet footed wingers/forwards who are taking people on, scoring goals/providing crosses and assists ; we are playing a high pressing game all over the pitch and we have a hard working midfield and defence who stop the opposition scoring. It is like comparing Prosecco to Champagne. Vaulks didn't say it wasn't pretty to watch - he said no one wanted to play against us and that we were probably horrible to play against. You are perpetuating the hype and media misinformation around the way McCarthy likes his teams to play.