Thread: Anyone own an electric vehicle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Anyone own an electric vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Not really my problem to fix. But a combination of

i) faster charging;
    ii) more charging stations; and

would be my guess. Longer ranges would help a bit, but not as much as the others. Although a lot of the current crop already have the ability to charge very quickly anyway.

As I say though- at the moment if I had one car and no easy access to home charging, I'd stick with petrol for now. With access to home charging it's a piece of piss to use EV tho.
    I think this is the only way and it's not exactly different to what happens now. The speed of charge will have to dramatically increase though if it is to work

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    I think this is the only way and it's not exactly different to what happens now. The speed of charge will have to dramatically increase though if it is to work
    Dramatically? you can already stick hundreds of miles in something like a tesla 3 in 20 mins and that charges at 250kw - and we already have 350kw chargers. It is never going to be a 2 minute job to fill it from empty in the way you can with your petrol car, but then rarely would you need/want to charge an EV from empty to full in a way you might normally with an ICE car.

And with access to home charge, it is really simple. I spend no more than a few seconds to charge my car each month, far less than I spent at petrol stations with my diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Dramatically? you can already stick hundreds of miles in something like a tesla 3 in 20 mins and that charges at 250kw - and we already have 350kw chargers. It is never going to be a 2 minute job to fill it from empty in the way you can with your petrol car, but then rarely would you need/want to charge an EV from empty to full in a way you might normally with an ICE car.

And with access to home charge, it is really simple. I spend no more than a few seconds to charge my car each month, far less than I spent at petrol stations with my diesel.
    In order for it to work for the masses as planned post 2030 then we'll need a system just like petrol stations I think, I'm not au fait with the science behind batteries but why will it never be a 2 minute charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    In order for it to work for the masses as planned post 2030 then we'll need a system just like petrol stations I think, I'm not au fait with the science behind batteries but why will it never be a 2 minute charge?
    No idea - I could be wrong but I suspect repeated rapid charging is a Bad Thing for batteries and therefore I sort-of assume that that speed of charge to go from say 10% to 80% charge would be challenging, in particular when the batteries themselves will be presumably getting bigger to offer longer ranges.

As regards petrol stations: not really. I think something like 90%+ of EV charging is done at home and there is no equivalent option for petrol. Obviously for many that is going to be a challenge and so yes the number of charging stations will have to increase, but that is inevitable - but a material amount of refuelling (presumably well over half) will be done at home. You cannot build petrol stations any more and the number of EV charging points is only going to increase. I suspect by the mid 2030s the bigger issue will be - can you find a petrol station to fuel your ICE car if you still have one?