+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jeff Stelling To Leave Sky

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Jeff Stelling To Leave Sky

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    They'll do very well to improve on Jeff Stelling - wonder what the viewing figures are in response to the shake up they had last year? Nearly all of these things have their time and place and I'm struggling to think of many successful programmes that have been improved once they started going down the rebrand/relaunch route - more often than not, it signals the beginning of the end.
    Do you think the viewing figures are likely to have dropped? If so, why? I know the BBC have tried to do a similar show but that’s looked a pale imitation on the handful of occasions I’ve watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Do you think the viewing figures are likely to have dropped? If so, why? I know the BBC have tried to do a similar show but that’s looked a pale imitation on the handful of occasions I’ve watched it.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they have, what was the driver behind the decision to get rid of Nicholas, LeTissier etc? Sky would probably say they were too old for a modern audience, but my guess is that wouldn’t have been an issue if audiences matched what they once were.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they have, what was the driver behind the decision to get rid of Nicholas, LeTissier etc? Sky would probably say they were too old for a modern audience, but my guess is that wouldn’t have been an issue if audiences matched what they once were.
    I think Nicholas, Le Tissier and Thompson were past it for a variety of reasons, but I’d be surprised if the changes were down to any significant drop in audience. Sky had been bringing others into their positions for a long time, especially on the midweek shows.

It could be that the show’s viewing figures have decreased as the internet has become more and more interactive, and so much more football-related content is now available online, and of course there are also the BBC and BT alternatives now.

Whatever is the case, I hope the show continues in the same or at least a very similar format once Stelling has moved on. I thoroughly enjoy it, and more so in recent years than ever before. The programme is one of many reasons I can never see myself going back to being a full-time City supporter. Watching Soccer Saturday is often more entertaining and enjoyable than going to games and it’s a lot less hassle too.