+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Michael Gove.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Michael Gove.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    The Tories freed up the use of foodbanks and made it easier for people to use them, so it is hardly surprising that their use has increased. However, a rise of 3900% cannot be put down to ease of use alone and points towards underlying structural issues in society. The left wing answer of benefits and redistribution via tax is just "foodbanks" provided for by the state, so that's not an answer to the underlying problem either.

both benefits and foodbanks are equally shameful in today's UK, but depending on where you sit on the political spectrum will determine whether you are for or against foodbanks and/or benefits. So whilst the party political acolytes from either side laud their own preference and denounce the alternative, both are equally culpable of missing the real issue at hand. But that's the level of maturity we come to expect from UK politics. All style, no substance. It is better to criticise your opponent that push forward your own policies.

We are in the midst of the greatest foreign affairs crisis since 1938, we have a cost of living crisis where people have to choose between eating and heating and we have a post Covid19 backlog of healthcare cases right across the UK including devolved administrations, but the single biggest political football this week has been about whether Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer had a beer or cake with work colleagues.

We get the system we deserve.
    Your first sentence cracked me up, but I presume you mean this

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...od-bank-claims

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Your first sentence cracked me up, but I presume you mean this

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...od-bank-claims
    I mean it was a deliberate policy that brought food banks to the attention of those who may not have known their existence previously.

If that is all you took from what I write then its evident you're still focusing on the wrong things.

I mean it was a deliberate policy that brought food banks to the attention of those who may not have known their existence previously.

If that is all you took from what I write then its evident you're still focusing on the wrong things.
    Well I thought the rest of what you wrote tied in with current Tory and Tory media thinking when it comes to trying to keep Johnson in a job, which seems to amount to trying to convince people that they’re all as bad as each other.

As for the other bit, an independent fact checking site says it’s not true.

Well I thought the rest of what you wrote tied in with current Tory and Tory media thinking when it comes to trying to keep Johnson in a job, which seems to amount to trying to convince people that they’re all as bad as each other.
    What makes you think I want Johnson to stay in post given I have stated previously I think he should resign. And what makes you think current Tory thinking is Johnson should stay in post? Prior to the invasion of Ukraine, Johnson was facing a backbench revolt.

and make no mistake, most politicians are in it for themselves. There's very few who are truly munificent with entirely altruistic intentions. Tony Benn springs to mind, and maybe Dennis Skinner.
    As for the other bit, an independent fact checking site says it’s not true.
    there we are then, it must be false if it says so on the internet.

What makes you think I want Johnson to stay in post given I have stated previously I think he should resign. And what makes you think current Tory thinking is Johnson should stay in post? Prior to the invasion of Ukraine, Johnson was facing a backbench revolt.

and make no mistake, most politicians are in it for themselves. There's very few who are truly munificent with entirely altruistic intentions. Tony Benn springs to mind, and maybe Dennis Skinner.

there we are then, it must be false if it says so on the internet.
    Maybe you're right to say that you shouldn't trust all you read on fact checking sites - I'd forgotten about this example of the sort of syhsters who could use them for their own ends.

https://news.sky.com/story/tories-cr...hange-11865342

https://www.ft.com/content/0582a0d0-...6-9bf4d1957a67