Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
But this idea of an all prevailing wave of cancel culture that kills careers is a complete fallacy. The only person I can think of in recent memory who's career has actually been killed is Harvey Weinstein, and that's with good, criminal, reason.

The others mentioned:

JK Rowiing - Her books sold were up 10.9% last year
Louis CK - Still touring
Roy Chubby Brown - Still touring
Jim Davidson - Still touring
John Cleese - Got a documentary out

"Cancel Culture" is just people telling you that they think you're an arsehole, usually when you've behaved like one. Students protesting against certain performers has always happened, I remember Dapper Laughs getting a tour cancelled about 10 years ago for saying some dodgy stuff about rape, no one complained about cancel culture then because certain elements of the media hadn't decided they wanted to construct a moral panic about it yet. Reminds me of that period in the 90's when the media decided that road rage was everywhere, and you felt like you couldn't get into a car without being in danger of someone going for you. Road rage hasn't gone away since then, it just never existed in the way they made it seem.

Twitter etc makes it seem like there's a huge groundswell of opinion and someone's getting "cancelled" but the reality is it's just a few thousand people making a noise for a short period of time, same as most protests. Truth is most of the people who talk about being cancelled just aren't relevant anymore, there's plenty of comedians doing edgy stuff but it works because it's funny.

As mentioned before, see South Park and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for two prime, modern examples of shows that say the most awful stuff but are loved and keep getting made.
Good post.

It happens on both ends of the spetrum and all in between.

Ben Shapiro has said numerous times where he had to have security due to people trying to stop his appearances. I wouldn't say Ben Shapiro is evil enough to be cancelled but people do try. I'm actually on the side of Crosey slightly. I dont want to see the wrong people succeed.

I think it just comes down to 'Just be nice to people'.