+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Sure he means Wilson and Ojo.
    Have City actually made Liverpool offers for either of those players or is Surge making it up?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Have City actually made Liverpool offers for either of those players or is Surge making it up?
    I listened to the Dalman interview and I didn't hear that - although with live interviews the Q & A can sometimes get muddled.

I thought he said that the club would love to have Wilson and Ojo back - but implied (as did MM in recent weeks) that was unlikely because Liverpool will probably want to sell and by implication Cardiff unlikely to be able to buy. He also said the key areas MM and the Board first want to strengthen are striker, left wing and creative midfield.

He said that the club had already made (I think) four offers for players and one had been accepted, but that more work needs to be done on a possible deal.

At one point he said most EFL clubs - including us - will be in serious trouble if the 'Covid' lack of income continues into next season. Also that Vincent Tan's Malaysian businesses have been hard hit but he has put nearly £3m into the club each month since the start of the crisis to keep it afloat. Getting costs down and value up are essential. He was very positive about MM's ability to work in that environment and fairly optimistic I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I listened to the Dalman interview and I didn't hear that - although with live interviews the Q & A can sometimes get muddled.
    The notion that Mick McCarthy would want to sign Sheyi Ojo again, either permanently or on loan, is bizarre and I think it's just a case of more Mehmet Dalman bullshit. During the last twelve games of the season, Ojo made only one start - the dire 0-0 draw with Stoke back on 16/03/21. He wasn't selected to start any of the nine games that followed, so the manager clearly doesn't rate him.

As regards City's financial situation, I think some significant cost-cutting is inevitable. Covid-19 has obviously had a significant effect, the Premier League parachute payments have finished, the club is still saddled with some of Warnock's most expensive mistakes (Messrs Murphy, Glatzel and Vassell) and there aren't many genuinely saleable assets McCarthy would want to offload if he had the choice, so belts will clearly need to be tightened.

Meanwhile, the elephant in the room still looms large - the £15 million Emiliano Sala transfer fee.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    We're expressing apparent interest in two premier league players while also saying we need to minimise spending....

I might be exaggerating/used the wrong word when describing what Dalman apparently said but the impression given still appears unrealistic/sets out a contradictory statement of intent. Apologies for not being clear and if i made anyone feel confused!