+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange One ( Positive lateral flows then negative on PCRs)

Strange One ( Positive lateral flows then negative on PCRs)

Folk in the south west are testing positive on lateral flows , but negative on PCRs, new strain , poor testing or just life as we now know it Jim ?

Re: Strange One ( Positive lateral flows then negative on PCRs)

Sons friend had this couple months or so back. I just assumed it was all part of the lesser accuracy of the lateral flow.

Seems it has been quite rare but becoming more common.

I've heard of a few instances aswell. Its a bit odd. A PCR test is seen as the industry standard, but having false positives on a lateral flow seems unusual. I thought the inaccuracy of lateral flows was just about failing to pick up positive cases, not falsely reporting negatives.

And why the spike in the South West ,is that the Brizzie lot ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And why the spike in the South West ,is that the Brizzie lot ?
    It happened repeatedly to a friend of mine who lives near Minehead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I've heard of a few instances aswell. Its a bit odd. A PCR test is seen as the industry standard, but having false positives on a lateral flow seems unusual. I thought the inaccuracy of lateral flows was just about failing to pick up positive cases, not falsely reporting negatives.
    Last year, a colleague of mine was being tested weekly as a part of the ONS surveys. At one stage he tested positive on a PCR test but showed no symptoms at all. The following week he tested negative, then positive again the next week, and then negative again. At no stage did he show any symptoms, but he definitely did catch Covid a couple of months later (two positive tests on a row) and did feel rough for a short while.

a friend of my daughters did 11 LFT's all positive, the 1st PCR was Neg, a week later a 2nd PCR was neg, 4 days after that the PCR was pos

where as the ground he was with , reading festival, clubs in Bath, Thorpe park were all neg and didn't get it

Mrs was working from home for a year..but had to pop in to cover a few times.
    She did the lateral on 5 occasions and 3 of them were positive..drove 20 miles each time only to be found negative all 3 times on the PCR..

About 15 members of my parents' bowls club (near Bristol) went down with the same symptoms. Almost all tested positive on lateral flow, but only a few were positive on PCR.
    It's being investigated now apparently.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/covid-later...box=1633589805

My Dtr had a positive lateral flow on her 1st day back at school in September. No symptoms at all. Line was very feint but instructions said that is still classed as positive.

Did the PCR as did I as i took her over. Negative on the PCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It happened repeatedly to a friend of mine who lives near Minehead.
    There were bad Covid outbreaks in Weston-super-Mare all very strange ,there's lots we don't know .

It was said on the news this morning that a possible explanation is that the PCR test is showing positive if the person being tested has a cold or symptoms of a cold.

It strikes me that the only sensible conclusion to come to from all this, is that the tests don't work.

It's happened to me last week and at least 12 people I know of.

All of us coughing, fatigued and have no taste or smell. I did 5 LFT all positive - 2 PCRs both negative.

Test and Trace have contacted my mate today who has exactly the same symptoms and outcomes on his testing and said its definitely Covid and he needs to isolate. Suggested its probably a new strain that isn't getting picked up by the PCR. Said its the no taste and smell thats the give away.

All this in the wider Pontypridd area.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    It's happened to me last week and at least 12 people I know of.

All of us coughing, fatigued and have no taste or smell. I did 5 LFT all positive - 2 PCRs both negative.

Test and Trace have contacted my mate today who has exactly the same symptoms and outcomes on his testing and said its definitely Covid and he needs to isolate. Suggested its probably a new strain that isn't getting picked up by the PCR. Said its the no taste and smell thats the give away.

All this in the wider Pontypridd area.
    False positive lateral flow tests in children double in a week
    Government scientists launch investigation after almost 14,000 tests came back positive in week to Sep 22

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...n-double-week/

Nothing new , it’s just the MSM are now starting to report things like this

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    False positive lateral flow tests in children double in a week
    Government scientists launch investigation after almost 14,000 tests came back positive in week to Sep 22

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...n-double-week/

Nothing new , it’s just the MSM are now starting to report things like this
    I think you need to be careful what you eat/drink before doing an LF - lot of false positives caused by fruit drinks etc.. apparently.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...19-tests-68965

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I think you need to be careful what you eat/drink before doing an LF - lot of false positives caused by fruit drinks etc.. apparently.

lemonade gives a positive

[QUOTE=Lawnmower;5233423]I think you need to be careful what you eat/drink before doing an LF - lot of false positives caused by fruit drinks etc.. apparently.

Incredible to think that many of the government’s decision making has been based on inaccurate
    Tests isn’t it , particularly in my case , relating to my sons missed education…. It’s been devastating as a family.

I have also heard of the reverse, neg LFT's but positive PCR's

Just keep vaccing the very vunerable and let everyone else get on with it.

[QUOTE=WJ99mobile;5233455]I have also heard of the reverse, neg LFT's but positive PCR's
    Just keep vaccing the very vunerable and let everyone else get on with it

A PCR test, Finds any bit of genetic material, part virus, dead or alive. Pings positive due to amplification cycles set too high. (Usually 35-45) ‘Cases’ can actually be HEALTHY people going about their business, not always sick people.
    That’s probably why another poster on here stated that a PCR test can pick up RNA up to three months old.

Looks like this is what the problem was https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...8IMpoYTE6hfmU0

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Looks like this is what the problem was https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...8IMpoYTE6hfmU0
    Mystery over hopefully , I do feel we need to move to the less expensive Lateral testing now as a society for those day to day checks they have a decent success .

Incredible (although not surprising) that it wasn't noticed that this lab had atleast 10% (based on figures being quoted) lower positive results than other labs throughout September.

Still, now obviously isn't the time for enquiries into £120m being given to companies that didn't exist before 2020 and Javid was just a backbencher when these decisions were made so hohum, what can you do ?