+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Global Prices Rises On Many Commodities

Re: Global Prices Rises On Many Commodities

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive seen it with my own eyes, its not that uncommon, I worked on VOG / Cardiff and Bridgend Councils as a Chippy ( Bridgend was only for a few months, the others were for years , so I have hardly been hoodwinked by the Tories to think that, and as it goes at the time of me working for the councils I was voting Labour or Plaid

as a side note, from a quick google

Universal credit accounted for £6bn of the estimated £8.5bn of “overpaid” benefits in 2020-21

Fraud levels in England, Wales and Scotland reached a historic high, with universal credit fraud up five percentage points to nearly 13%
    Just to fill out the picture, the value of unclaimed means tested benefits in the UK in the last year is estimated at £15bn

"Global Price Rises on Many Commodities"

Could have been an interesting thread with a range of views, and yet again quickly turns into party politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So what is your answer? Penalise those who are entitled to claim?
    where have I said we should " Penalise those who are entitled to claim " or is that your answer ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Just to fill out the picture, the value of unclaimed means tested benefits in the UK in the last year is estimated at £15bn
    fair enough, but still doesn't change the fact that people do cheat the system and at close to 13% for UC shows it isn't that uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Could have been an interesting thread with a range of views, and yet again quickly turns into party politics.
    The eternal Punch and Judy show on here.

fair enough, but still doesn't change the fact that people do cheat the system and at close to 13% for UC shows it isn't that uncommon
    So what is your answer?

Natural Gas now showing sustained falls in price over the week. Hope it lasts

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/natural-gas

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Even people saying "you don't have to agree with me" are being continually argued with.. It's all a bit silly isn't it.

The issue is that people take the pee put of benefit systems

not sure anyone has any issues with the genuine people who need help, of course we should have that safety net, some do pretty decently out of it though

Its the people who take the pee out of it, Ive worked on council estates as a chippy and they were on every street, the guy who can't work as he has a back back yet goes out and helps his " mate " to lay a patio
    Tax avoidance far more costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Tax avoidance far more costly.
    100%

Benefit cheating hits harder as anyone can do it and it's quite evident to all who's doing what, but tax avoidance definitely is losing more revenue

Who brought in universal credit

It tickles me how obsessed Tory sympathisers are with people "taking the piss" out of the benefit system: are they envious? If you can't beat them, join them but understand these so called "benefit scroungers" are willing to accept a much lower quality of life than most of us would want for ourselves.

Someone mentioned theres about £69 billion going to waste on benefit fraud but how do they think they would personally benefit if that were eradicated? If they think the Tories would put it to good use then they are surely going to be sorely disappointed. That money would likely end up in Tory friends and donor's pockets.

The reality is there always has been and always will be a sub class of unemployed and unemployable people but the difference is that in the past those people and their family either perished or turned to crime and prostitution to survive. Looking at it that way, I reckon that £69 billion is a fair investment in order to keep us all safer and happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It tickles me how obsessed Tory sympathisers are with people "taking the piss" out of the benefit system: are they envious? If you can't beat them, join them but understand these so called "benefit scroungers" are willing to accept a much lower quality of life than most of us would want for ourselves.

Someone mentioned theres about £69 billion going to waste on benefit fraud but how do they think they would personally benefit if that were eradicated? If they think the Tories would put it to good use then they are surely going to be sorely disappointed. That money would likely end up in Tory friends and donor's pockets.

The reality is there always has been and always will be a sub class of unemployed and unemployable people but the difference is that in the past those people and their family either perished or turned to crime and prostitution to survive. Looking at it that way, I reckon that £69 billion is a fair investment in order to keep us all safer and happier.
    What frustrates me about posts like this is how it tries to present party politics as some kind of disney film, with goodies and baddies. Listening to some people talk about Tories is like listening to Tommy Robinson talk about Islam, or Rev Ian Paisley talk about catholic republicans.

The very benefits system you (rightly) cherish has been run by the Tories for almost twice as long as it has Labour.

The very NHS you (rightly) cherish has been run by the Tories for almost twice as long as it has Labour.

Surely if there is a child you are proud of then you at least recognise the role of the parent who has looked after them the most?

This isn't a defence of the Tories, it's a plea for reasoned debate and less punch and judy bullshit.

There are differences between the parties, but nothing as stark as people make out, and in most cases governments would make the same decisions. Labour dont support benefit fraud any more than the Tories do, and they would both want to crack down on it and make sure it goes to those who most deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    What frustrates me about posts like this is how it tries to present party politics as some kind of disney film, with goodies and baddies. Listening to some people talk about Tories is like listening to Tommy Robinson talk about Islam, or Rev Ian Paisley talk about catholic republicans.

The very benefits system you (rightly) cherish has been run by the Tories for almost twice as long as it has Labour.

The very NHS you (rightly) cherish has been run by the Tories for almost twice as long as it has Labour.

Surely if there is a child you are proud of then you at least recognise the role of the parent who has looked after them the most?

This isn't a defence of the Tories, it's a plea for reasoned debate and less punch and judy bullshit.

There are differences between the parties, but nothing as stark as people make out, and in most cases governments would make the same decisions. Labour dont support benefit fraud any more than the Tories do, and they would both want to crack down on it and make sure it goes to those who most deserve it.
    The trouble with this post is that you've stuck your oar in it.

It is a Disney film: the Tories are the eternal baddies, their beliefs correspond to the lowest common denominator of self interest and avarice. In Manichaeism they would be personified as Ahriman, the Prince of Darkness. That's my view of course and I wouldn't expect you to agree with it.

However, what is certain is that the Tories have invented the myth of "benefit scroungers" to demonise the weakest in society which is their wont. It deflects rather nicely the concentration on massively wealthy spongers called tax evaders.

Of course every budget needs careful management but the reason Labour are seemingly as concerned about it as the Tories are is simply because they know it to be a vote winner with the average constituency. In the greater scheme of things it's a trivial red herring which will never be properly corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Who brought in universal credit
    not sure it matters who brought in UC ( as we know Benefit fraud was happening before UC came along ), I said people don't like to see people cheating the benefits system ( which most don't ), you made it sound like it wasn't happening but was just made up by the Tories

the fact is that Fraud levels in England, Wales and Scotland reached a historic high, with universal credit fraud up five percentage points to nearly 13%, I am not sure how people can defend that from any party

not sure it matters who brought in UC ( as we know Benefit fraud was happening before UC came along ), I said people don't like to see people cheating the benefits system ( which most don't ), you made it sound like it wasn't happening but was just made up by the Tories

the fact is that Fraud levels in England, Wales and Scotland reached a historic high, with universal credit fraud up five percentage points to nearly 13%, I am not sure how people can defend that from any party
    Universal credit and the new benefits system is a draconian medieval way of treating people, no wonder people cut a few corners

It matters because the Tories, your lot , brought in a new benefits system which you lot all voted for yet under the tories benefit fraud has gone up

Figure that out

I often wonder if any of the people wether in the tory Party or its cap doffing voters have any idea what it must be like to live on benefits , especially if you are disabled

I mean Iain Duncan Smith who brought these changes in , you can tell by his accent he's had it tough

The trouble with this post is that you've stuck your oar in it.

It is a Disney film: the Tories are the eternal baddies, their beliefs correspond to the lowest common denominator of self interest and avarice. In Manichaeism they would be personified as Ahriman, the Prince of Darkness. That's my view of course and I wouldn't expect you to agree with it.

However, what is certain is that the Tories have invented the myth of "benefit scroungers" to demonise the weakest in society which is their wont. It deflects rather nicely the concentration on massively wealthy spongers called tax evaders.

Of course every budget needs careful management but the reason Labour are seemingly as concerned about it as the Tories are is simply because they know it to be a vote winner with the average constituency. In the greater scheme of things it's a trivial red herring which will never be properly corrected.
    Miaow. Enjoy your Disney films. The real world is very very different. I used to be a member of the Respect Party - a far-left organisation until I realised it's basically all indoctrination and reality is excluded from the debate if it challenges the orthodoxy.

I suggest you get out of that sectarian rabbit hole. The two main parties have far more in common than you think and that's because reality tends to trump ideology when you get in power.

Like I said, neither party supports benefit fraud and both will clamp down on it. The rhetoric may change from time to time or between different parties, but not to the wild extent that you characterise it.

Miaow. Enjoy your Disney films. The real world is very very different. I used to be a member of the Respect Party - a far-left organisation until I realised it's basically all indoctrination and reality is excluded from the debate if it challenges the orthodoxy.

I suggest you get out of that rabbit hole. The two main parties have far more in common than you think and thats because reality tends to trump ideology when you get in power.
    You have changed from a fan of Galloway to a fan of Thatcher

Of course you have

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You have changed from a fan of Galloway to a fan of Thatcher

Of course you have
    I'm no fan of Thatcher.

But more generally, some people move on from student union politics.

Some people don't.

Why isn’t this thread on the politics board?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Why isn’t this thread on the politics board?
    You would love that wouldn't you. Bloody Tories.

I suggest you get out of that sectarian rabbit hole. The two main parties have far more in common than you think and that's because reality tends to trump ideology when you get in power.

Like I said, neither party supports benefit fraud and both will clamp down on it. The rhetoric may change from time to time or between different parties, but not to the wild extent that you characterise it.
    Grrrr, I didn't expect you to agree! Some people never look beyond their own narrow horizons.

I don't fret about people cheating the benefits system. How does it affect me?

You would love that wouldn't you. Bloody Tories.

I don't fret about people cheating the benefits system. How does it affect me?
    It might not effect you, as you might not need them, but it might play on your conscience, as them people cheating the system are taking money that could be given to the genuine people who need it, who knows ? ?