+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lidl prices rise by almost three per cent since June.

Lidl prices rise by almost three per cent since June.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...pping-21824769

I've been doing my weekly shop at Aldi's lately and I'd say the same sort of thing definitely applies there.

Re: Lidl prices rise by almost three per cent since June.

Sainsbury’s milk, £1.15p to £1.30p

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...pping-21824769

I've been doing my weekly shop at Aldi's lately and I'd say the same sort of thing definitely applies there.
    Quite an interesting article that is. No question inflation is rising but I think competition will keep a lid on it. Also, so dependent on weather for specific products.

Starting from an insanely low base too. A loaf of bread in Lidl may cost 50p. Someone on even a low wage may only need to work 3-4 minutes to pay for that. At various points in history people may have worked 3-4 hours for the same loaf, and in some cases globally, 3-4 days.

You can predict here what will be more expensive going forward:
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodities

Porrdige, Coffee, Sugar etc..

The article says the price of a beef joint had gone down by £1. That's the price they paid, not the price per kg, which has gone down £2.50.
    Unless they compare like for like then there's no point in making a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Quite an interesting article that is. No question inflation is rising but I think competition will keep a lid on it. Also, so dependent on weather for specific products.

Starting from an insanely low base too. A loaf of bread in Lidl may cost 50p. Someone on even a low wage may only need to work 3-4 minutes to pay for that. At various points in history people may have worked 3-4 hours for the same loaf, and in some cases globally, 3-4 days.

You can predict here what will be more expensive going forward:
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodities

Porrdige, Coffee, Sugar etc..
    I’d agree that the price of some food has been very cheap for a long time. Tony mentions milk, I can remember there being a fuss about milk a year or two ago when dairy farmers were saying they barely made a profit with the prices charged by the bigger supermarkets. Fresh veg is so cheap as well, but the trend generally is definitely upwards.

How much of that is seasonal is hard to tell, I like pink lady apples and their price has varied wildly in recent months - I’ve paid as little as £1.49 for a pack of six within the last six months, on Monday, they were £2.69.

Online shopping is even worse.They catch you always.I tried to buy 1/2 a pound of butter at morrisons on line and try as I might I couldn't get morrisons own brand which is normally about 1.50.cheapest I can get is was 2.50.

A loaf of bread in Lidl may cost 50p. Someone on even a low wage may only need to work 3-4 minutes to pay for that.
    3 minutes to earn 50p would give you a pay rate of £20 per hour. Not quite my definition of a low wage!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    3 minutes to earn 50p would give you a pay rate of £20 per hour. Not quite my definition of a low wage!
    Someone on £10p/h (not much above minimum wage) earns 1000p an hour, 16p a minute, 16p X 3 = 48p

Either way, my main point is that food, for most, is undeniably more affordable than at any point in history.

Its everywhere

Good morning from #Germany, where inflation has increased by >4%, highest since Dec1993.mainly driven by energy and food prices. Marked price increases were recorded for heating oil (+76,5%) & motor fuels (+28.4%). Prices of natural gas (+5.7%) and electricity (+2.0%) rose, too

Someone on £10p/h (not much above minimum wage) earns 1000p an hour, 16p a minute, 16p X 3 = 48p

Either way, my main point is that food, for most, is undeniably more affordable than at any point in history.
    My mistake. I royally fecked up here. 3 mins for 50p = 30 mins for £5, so £10 an hour, which is what you'd have if £10ph is 16.66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 666666666666666666666666666666666666666666p a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Its everywhere

Good morning from #Germany, where inflation has increased by >4%, highest since Dec1993.mainly driven by energy and food prices. Marked price increases were recorded for heating oil (+76,5%) & motor fuels (+28.4%). Prices of natural gas (+5.7%) and electricity (+2.0%) rose, too
    Evening from Poland, most of these price rises haven’t hit here yet but diesel has gone up about 15% in the last year, heating oil is 50% dearer than UK thanks to Chelsea & fellow Russians. Milk is about 40p. Food is still ridiculously cheap.

Sorry if this is straying off the point.

In Prague for the football. Eat in TGI ordered 2x burger meals with 1 side and 1 desert with 4 beers - converted to £30 paid cash.

Thought to myself we had the exact same meal in TGI Cardiff in June - checked my online banking and that was £60.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Its everywhere

Jam £2.10 in Morrison’s.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Sorry if this is straying off the point.

In Prague for the football. Eat in TGI ordered 2x burger meals with 1 side and 1 desert with 4 beers - converted to £30 paid cash.

Thought to myself we had the exact same meal in TGI Cardiff in June - checked my online banking and that was £60.
    Are you sure that the desert with 4 beers wasn't a mirage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Jam £2.10 in Morrison’s.
    Nice jams in Lidl full fruit ones £1.10 .

Theirr version of Lurpack spreadable butter £1.69.

Malted loaf bread 95p.

Welsh X Strong Cheddar £1.79

Filtered 4 pints semi skimmed milk £1.10.

Washing Detergent £1.76

Very Large washing up liquid 89p.

They are still way cheaper than most and products are very good value .

It's everywhere:

Inflation in the United States has accelerated more rapidly than expected, driven up by rising food prices.

America’s headline consumer prices index increased by 0.4 per cent last month. On an annual basis, it hit 5.4 per cent, returning the index to levels last recorded in the summer, which themselves were the highest in more than a decade.

Grocery prices rose by 1.2 per cent in September and there is no sign of the pressure on consumers easing soon amid a sharp escalation in energy costs.