+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Possible racist gesture from Cardiff fan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Possible racist gesture from Cardiff fan

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    We weren't going for funny or no funny originally, we were looking for what other than fat jokes offend you. You don't seem capable of answering.
    It's not a question that is answerable really. It could be an extensive list that, on missing one item out, will see me tagged as some sort of *ist.

Let's put it another way. There was an outcry this morning that someone was perceived to have been doing a racist gesture. Generally, the people who took offence were white football fans jumping to conclusions, and engaging the keyboard to prove they, themselves, are not racist. They were angry that this one man was making this one gesture that was offensive to a large group of people.

Then, it turns out the gesture WASN'T offensive towards that large group of people at all. However, the gesture could still be construed to be offensive to a different large group of people, some of who may actually have fallen in the original group of people. The response to the gesture offending a different group of people was "Well, that's alright then, as long as it's not the wrong type of offensive gesture".

I don't, particularly, take offence at fat jokes. If I am sat with my chubby girlfriend (her words) and a comedian makes some fat jokes, she is likely to get upset. Unless that comedian is fat, then she laughs. Strange how it works isn't it? None of it is exactly black and white. It is strange too how a gesture towards one group of people is passed off as "Well, that's alright then" by the same group of people who saw the same gesture, wrongly assumed it was towards a different group of people and were "find him, ban him, name him, shame him".

By the way, I found the gesture immature and not funny the first time I saw it. I didn't jump to the conclusions that others have because, well, there was always the possibility it wasn't what it looked like. Now that I know the gesture's intentions, I still think it is immature and not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    It's not a question that is answerable really. It could be an extensive list that, on missing one item out, will see me tagged as some sort of *ist.

Let's put it another way. There was an outcry this morning that someone was perceived to have been doing a racist gesture. Generally, the people who took offence were white football fans jumping to conclusions, and engaging the keyboard to prove they, themselves, are not racist. They were angry that this one man was making this one gesture that was offensive to a large group of people.

Then, it turns out the gesture WASN'T offensive towards that large group of people at all. However, the gesture could still be construed to be offensive to a different large group of people, some of who may actually have fallen in the original group of people. The response to the gesture offending a different group of people was "Well, that's alright then, as long as it's not the wrong type of offensive gesture".

I don't, particularly, take offence at fat jokes. If I am sat with my chubby girlfriend (her words) and a comedian makes some fat jokes, she is likely to get upset. Unless that comedian is fat, then she laughs. Strange how it works isn't it? None of it is exactly black and white. It is strange too how a gesture towards one group of people is passed off as "Well, that's alright then" by the same group of people who saw the same gesture, wrongly assumed it was towards a different group of people and were "find him, ban him, name him, shame him".

By the way, I found the gesture immature and not funny the first time I saw it. I didn't jump to the conclusions that others have because, well, there was always the possibility it wasn't what it looked like. Now that I know the gesture's intentions, I still think it is immature and not funny.
    Do you not see the difference between someone making racist monkey gestures towards a black person and someone making a “you're fat” gesture towards a professional athlete who is in the top 0.1% of the healthiest and fittest people in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Do you not see the difference between someone making racist monkey gestures towards a black person and someone making a “you're fat” gesture towards a professional athlete who is in the top 0.1% of the healthiest and fittest people in the country?
    it is a very weird hill to die on

Do you not see the difference between making a racist monkey gesture towards a white professional athlete who is in the top 0.1% (sic) of the healthiest and fittest people in the country and that could offend a significant number of people, and making a "you're fat gesture" towards a white professional athlete who is in the top 0.1% (sic) of the healthiest and fittest people in the country and that could equally offend a significant number of, admittedly, less important people? Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    Do you not see the difference between making a racist monkey gesture towards a white professional athlete who is in the top 0.1% (sic) of the healthiest and fittest people in the country and that could offend a significant number of people, and making a "you're fat gesture" towards a white professional athlete who is in the top 0.1% (sic) of the healthiest and fittest people in the country and that could equally offend a significant number of, admittedly, less important people? Me neither.
    The group of players he made the gesture towards had black players in it. Are you really trying to argue that had he made a monkey gesture it would’ve been towards specifically the white person?

The group of players he made the gesture towards had black players in it. Are you really trying to argue that had he made a monkey gesture it would’ve been towards specifically the white person?
    But the player he was fat shaming was white.