+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

Re: Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    If Sludge is talking about the same lad, I find it out of character for him.

He's an interesting lad to talk with and one of the main figures behind Merthyr's survival. Had many an interesting conversation from football, fan culture, music, politics and petanque.

Got a lot of time for him.

All that said, he's ****ing massive weighing in at 6ft 4ish and 18 odd stone. Throw in the ginger gene and I'm certain he could ****ing bang if he needs to.
    I wouldn’t say Cardiff City ruined Merthyr but I do think our rise up the leagues along with Swansea’s plus Merthyr having a few relegations themselves and also having to start again for scratch probably did play It’s part.

https://mobile.twitter.com/indywalesfans?lang=en

Not sure on these either. I’m open to their views but don’t see the need at a Wales game. I engaged one or two when I was allowed on Twatter. Sensitive souls
    I don't really get it when people complain about politics in football and it seems to be uniquely British (well English). Look at a number of foreign clubs and they have political affiliations, whilst the whole idea of supporting a country is inherently political

Anyone who says politics should be "kept" out of football hasn't been paying attention recently. Manchester City and PSG are two of the biggest clubs on the planet now and are only there because human rights abusing states wanted to make themselves look nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't really get it when people complain about politics in football and it seems to be uniquely British (well English). Look at a number of foreign clubs and they have political affiliations, whilst the whole idea of supporting a country is inherently political

Anyone who says politics should be "kept" out of football hasn't been paying attention recently. Manchester City and PSG are two of the biggest clubs on the planet now and are only there because human rights abusing states wanted to make themselves look nicer.
    Hmmm...

Celtic/Rangers. Yes, the so called political affiliations of each club add an extra edge to an already poisonous religious differences but in all honestly is not needed.

Interestingly, the Man City situation makes me smirk due to the owners known human rights abuses whilst St. Pep of Catalonia cries about the Spanish government. Add perhaps the most prominent political football
    club Barcelona who shacked up to Qatar.

I'm not sure marching for independence from Clwb Ifor Bach is needed and all the antagonism it could bring.

First the record, I'm more than open about independence, just don't think I'd go to a football match to discuss it.

Hmmm...

Celtic/Rangers. Yes, the so called political affiliations of each club add an extra edge to an already poisonous religious differences but in all honestly is not needed.

Interestingly, the Man City situation makes me smirk due to the owners known human rights abuses whilst St. Pep of Catalonia cries about the Spanish government. Add perhaps the most prominent political football
    club Barcelona who shacked up to Qatar.

I'm not sure marching for independence from Clwb Ifor Bach is needed and all the antagonism it could bring.

First the record, I'm more than open about independence, just don't think I'd go to a football match to discuss it.
    I've a cheeky mind, I bet over half my posts say Boris Johnson is a cuunt.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sludge trying to tell Wolvesy the real reason why Merthyrs crowds have declined and calling him odd is comedy gold.

Cracking fella, as you say intelligent, well travelled and good company. Knows what he’s talking about, you don’t get to be in his position working for the Welsh FA if you didn’t.

I’ll take Wolvesys version of the ongoings of Merthyrs support over some know it all who has been to Penydarren Park a couple of times in the last 15 years for a pre season friendly.
    I have no idea who wolvesy is and whether this is the same person we are talking about , whats his name ?

But he hated cardiff city thats for sure and so did his mate , I found them both very odd characters , a real dislike for cardiff city , so bollocks to the pair of them

As for the FAW I think they are a pretty amateurish organisation

The one who turned his back on cardiff used to be a massive city fan but went all Welsh nationalist and started supporting Barry town saying cardiff fans were the enemies of welsh football for playing in the English pyramid

For a bit of balance and fairness...

They’ve still got a great fanzine going and whatever can be said about some of the characters within their support their Trust owns and manages their club (that’s another story mind).

The FAW lad (the one I know) is a great lad. Intelligent, good company and got a bit of charisma in fairness. He is politically minded but doesn’t push it on people.

I grew up in Aberfan, now live in Merthyr. City always had more supporters in the area even though it was a close run thing when City were in the darkest, deepest dungeon years and the Martyrs were in the Conference.

The truth about Merthyr’s football decline is they’ve been owned, managed by a collection of fuucking halfwits. Personally, they should try and join the Welsh pyramid system.
    merthyr had that glory period when they played that Italian side .....1987 ..... but thats it

The nearest football league teams are cardiff and swansea , I have over the years following cardiff met many cardiff fans from the area , Pentrebach , town based merthyr fans , valley based merthyr fans like Aberfan etc

Merthyr may be a fairly big town , 50000 or so ? but its never in my lifetime had much support

Like Barry town and Aberdare its footballing fans are drawn in the most to cardiff city , in aberdare and merthyrs case to mostly cardiff but some swansea

Cardiff city are not the reason for the martyrs decline , this bloke seemed very bitter and was telling me it was

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    merthyr had that glory period when they played that Italian side .....1987 ..... but thats it

The nearest football league teams are cardiff and swansea , I have over the years following cardiff met many cardiff fans from the area , Pentrebach , town based merthyr fans , valley based merthyr fans like Aberfan etc

Merthyr may be a fairly big town , 50000 or so ? but its never in my lifetime had much support

Like Barry town and Aberdare its footballing fans are drawn in the most to cardiff city , in aberdare and merthyrs case to mostly cardiff but some swansea

Cardiff city are not the reason for the martyrs decline , this bloke seemed very bitter and was telling me it was
    Please stop with the teaching your granny how to suck eggs. It’s embarrassing.

Neither myself, or Jordi, need a history lesson from you about Merthyr football club and Cardiff’s support from Merthyr.

Please stop with the teaching your granny how to suck eggs. It’s embarrassing.

Neither myself, or Jordi, need a history lesson from you about Merthyr football club and Cardiff’s support from Merthyr.
    I wasn't talking to you but what I have written is correct

This bloke and his mate were a right pair of insular chaps , the question is are we talking about the same bloke ?

Who is wolvesy and why is he called wolvsey ?

I wasn't talking to you but what I have written is correct

This bloke and his mate were a right pair of insular chaps , the question is are we talking about the same bloke ?

Who is wolvesy and why is he called wolvsey ?
    Because he also supports Wolves.

After the suits he is the head honcho at the Welsh FA and also a big noise in Merthyr Town. Features heavily in the Take Me Home documentary.

Merthyr had a really strong team during the mid to late eighties, some of their players could've made the step up to the lower leagues in my opinion. Heard a few stories that dedication was a bit of a problem Ceri Williams could play although he looked 50 at 20.

And it’s not correct. 87 is the year they won the Welsh Cup and beat Atalanta in the first leg 2-1 but 1992 was when they were at their most recent peak, finishing 4th in the conference whilst City finished 9th in Division 4. Less than 20 places between them in the pyramid at that stage.

Merthyr also hammered City 4-1 at Ninian Park in 1990 and around that time Merthyr were getting 2500 through the gate.

Even at the turn of the century still getting around a 1000 now it’s between 3-400.

Their gates have dropped around 80% in 25 years. 25 years which has also seen Cardiff and Swansea leave them in the distance on the pitch. So, whilst Merthyr has always had people who have followed Cardiff and Swansea from the town this last 10 years has definitely seen more people follow the league clubs than it has their home town club.

It’s not rocket science. Cardiff and Swansea’s gates have rocketed in that period and a proportion of that fate increase will be from the surrounding areas, Merthyr being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Merthyr had a really strong team during the mid to late eighties, some of their players could've made the step up to the lower leagues in my opinion. Heard a few stories that dedication was a bit of a problem Ceri Williams could play although he looked 50 at 20.
    Dai Webley all day on the coal van had an hours kip in the changing rooms at Ninian Park then went out and scored a hat trick so the legend goes.

It really saddens me when I go down these days there’s barely 30 people in the wank bank. Used to be packed when I was a teenager.

They can barely muster 200 these days
    Didn't they spend a load revamping the clubhouse etc recently? I was delivering skips there for the building work. As I was reversing up past the old turnstiles (Park Terrace) I looked in my mirrors and a very large JCB Telehandler was running down on its own from the ground and smashed into the turnstiles. If I was fifteen seconds earlier it would have mashed me into the side of my lorry as I worked the controls. By fate I had stopped at the bottom of the road to let an old Granny cross over which took roughly fifteen seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Didn't they spend a load revamping the clubhouse etc recently? I was delivering skips there for the building work. As I was reversing up past the old turnstiles (Park Terrace) I looked in my mirrors and a very large JCB Telehandler was running down on its own from the ground and smashed into the turnstiles. If I was fifteen seconds earlier it would have mashed me into the side of my lorry as I worked the controls. By fate I had stopped at the bottom of the road to let an old Granny cross over which took roughly fifteen seconds.
    Sounds like a very close shave!

Yeah they had a grant for that. Set up is first class to be fair. Supporters Trust can’t do anymore, they really drive the club organising all manner of events but the support from the town just isn’t there.

12 quid walk up is a lot for that level mind.

Because he also supports Wolves.

After the suits he is the head honcho at the Welsh FA and also a big noise in Merthyr Town. Features heavily in the Take Me Home documentary.
    well if he supports wolves I was right , he is odd

Merthyr and cardiff city

Merthyr and swansea

But wolves?

https://youtu.be/m9pYwCws2V8

Dai Webley all day on the coal van had an hours kip in the changing rooms at Ninian Park then went out and scored a hat trick so the legend goes.

It really saddens me when I go down these days there’s barely 30 people in the wank bank. Used to be packed when I was a teenager.
    Who would you shout for if City and Merthyr came together?

And it’s not correct. 87 is the year they won the Welsh Cup and beat Atalanta in the first leg 2-1 but 1992 was when they were at their most recent peak, finishing 4th in the conference whilst City finished 9th in Division 4. Less than 20 places between them in the pyramid at that stage.

Merthyr also hammered City 4-1 at Ninian Park in 1990 and around that time Merthyr were getting 2500 through the gate.

Even at the turn of the century still getting around a 1000 now it’s between 3-400.

Their gates have dropped around 80% in 25 years. 25 years which has also seen Cardiff and Swansea leave them in the distance on the pitch. So, whilst Merthyr has always had people who have followed Cardiff and Swansea from the town this last 10 years has definitely seen more people follow the league clubs than it has their home town club.

It’s not rocket science. Cardiff and Swansea’s gates have rocketed in that period and a proportion of that fate increase will be from the surrounding areas, Merthyr being one of them.
    even when merthyr were doing OK there was still plenty of support for cardiff up there

You may remember a company called merthyr motor auctions ?

Owner at the time was a cardiff city fan and sponsored the shirt for a couple of seasons

Its all very well howling wolf blaming cardiff city for the decline in the martyrs success but he needs to be looking closer to home to the people in merthyr who support Liverpool and man United

and how often do you go down ?

Cardiff obviously but I do like to see my hometown club do well. I’d like to see them bite the bullet and go into the Welsh league now.

even when merthyr were doing OK there was still plenty of support for cardiff up there

You may remember a company called merthyr motor auctions ?

Owner at the time was a cardiff city fan and sponsored the shirt for a couple of seasons

Its all very well howling wolf blaming cardiff city for the decline in the martyrs success but he needs to be looking closer to home to the people in merthyr who support Liverpool and man United
    I’m fully aware of that. The reason I started watching Cardiff in 1991 in the first place was because I met and got friendly with fellow teenagers on the terraces down Merthyr who also went to watch Cardiff.

However, he does have a point. I know a lot of lads who were probably in their 20s / 30s who were regulars at Penydarren Park and just switched to Cardiff when we started getting some success.

Adam Brown of Foxy Knoxy fame and one time councillor now Steve Days pool boy in Spain was a prime example. Went everywhere with Merthyr home and away, Cardiff had a bit of success and he just jumped ship.

I’m fully aware of that. The reason I started watching Cardiff in 1991 in the first place was because I met and got friendly with fellow teenagers on the terraces down Merthyr who also went to watch Cardiff.

However, he does have a point. I know a lot of lads who were probably in their 20s / 30s who were regulars at Penydarren Park and just switched to Cardiff when we started getting some success.

Adam Brown of Foxy Knoxy fame and one time councillor now Steve Days pool boy in Spain was a prime example. Went everywhere with Merthyr home and away, Cardiff had a bit of success and he just jumped ship.
    I think its safe to say that Mr brown and me would not agree on the subject of politics

He was right about Amanda knox though

I think its safe to say that Mr brown and me would not agree on the subject of politics

He was right about Amanda knox though
    Got his own YouTube channel now. Mad as a box of frogs.

Got his own YouTube channel now. Mad as a box of frogs.
    he had very right wing views but when challenged on them said he couldn't be racist because of his Spanish ancestry

Very odd

Is the other chap living in Spain now ?

Near his mate ?

Who is he supporting now ?

just seen a few pics of a friend who is a Bedford fan, he watched the game today ( actually yesterday now ) 210 fans, one way system to the bar / Tea stand, then one way out, all looked very normal and worked at that low level amount of people

Bedford was on the Gov's area of concern list only the day before, but they still went ahead with the football which is great news

There's a decent DVD documentary called 'The Martyrs of 87' doing the rounds. Worth a watch even if you've no affiliation to Merthyr. Some more than amusing stories in it.