+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do young people cope?

Re: How do young people cope?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I sometimes wonder how someone can repeatedly embarrass himself.
    So do I, but you never fail to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Aint that the truth.

I sometimes wonder how someone can repeatedly embarrass himself.
    You were questioning black people’s haircuts the other week, dear God, you don’t live in France, you live on another planet. You bang on how you struggled, had bugger all but came through and made good and well done to you. This is because there were opportunities to do this in the past, those opportunities have, sadly, vanished for many, many hard working, decent people. You criticise them for attempting to live a normal life, giving their kids things they can barely afford. These folk are doing the best they can, making their homes as comfortable as possible, living as comfortable as possible despite the odds being against them.

You’ve made it quite clear that you sneer at struggling families because it’s all their own fault and the fact that they try and not get left behind is despicable and freeloading. And you’re not keen on those bloody black people having haircuts of their choice!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You were questioning black people’s haircuts the other week, dear God, you don’t live in France, you live on another planet. You bang on how you struggled, had bugger all but came through and made good and well done to you. This is because there were opportunities to do this in the past, those opportunities have, sadly, vanished for many, many hard working, decent people. You criticise them for attempting to live a normal life, giving their kids things they can barely afford. These folk are doing the best they can, making their homes as comfortable as possible, living as comfortable as possible despite the odds being against them.

You’ve made it quite clear that you sneer at struggling families because it’s all their own fault and the fact that they try and not get left behind is despicable and freeloading. And you’re not keen on those bloody black people having haircuts of their choice!!
    He would prefer le Pen over Macron as well. And when called an immigrant, his reply indirect reply was that he was superior in comparison to other 'Immigrants'

First things first, and not relevant one bit to this post - the streams posted by Maurice are so poor you’d think he’s taking commission.

Secondly, on the actual topic of the thread, of which I care little to none what the majority of this ageing, out of touch messageboard thinks - being under 30 is an absolute circus at the moment, unless you have a job in finance or are a tradesmen (from my understanding of their earnings).

Couldn’t give a **** about people during the 1940s, as someone in this thread has brought forward as a counter point, or anything else. There quite literally hasn’t been a worse time to be in your mid to late twenties since the Industrial Revolution.

I quite literally cannot wait for the mass extinction of the current crop of over 70s who have over stayed their welcome. Property market will free up and things will (hopefully) stabilise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He would prefer le Pen over Macron as well. And when called an immigrant, his reply indirect reply was that he was superior in comparison to other 'Immigrants'
    It’s a sobering thought that there are people still holding his type of views, not only holding them but repeating them on a messageboard. Although, perhaps that’s more preferable, we all know where he stands, it’s certainly not clandestine.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    First things first, and not relevant one bit to this post - the streams posted by Maurice are so poor you’d think he’s taking commission.

Secondly, on the actual topic of the thread, of which I care little to none what the majority of this ageing, out of touch messageboard thinks - being under 30 is an absolute circus at the moment, unless you have a job in finance or are a tradesmen (from my understanding of their earnings).

Couldn’t give a **** about people during the 1940s, as someone in this thread has brought forward as a counter point, or anything else. There quite literally hasn’t been a worse time to be in your mid to late twenties since the Industrial Revolution.

I quite literally cannot wait for the mass extinction of the current crop of over 70s who have over stayed their welcome. Property market will free up and things will (hopefully) stabilise.
    Over 70s I’ve got a year to go!!!!

Over 70s I’ve got a year to go!!!!
    God speed

Maybe they ought to do without takeaways...mobile phones....netflix etc etc....we all had pressures then......aka I could not afford a proper bed....I filled my bath with hot water from the kettle because the HW tank was broken and I could not afford to fix it.........get real....
    As I said in another thread when you talked about netflix.

Everyone used to get a daily newspaper. It wasn't a luxury, it was the norm. If you want a daily newspaper now, the Sun for example is a quid a pop. Even if you don't buy it on weekends, that's 20 quid a month and double what Netflix costs.

That's just one example of many to show how much more expensive life is today than in your day. We could do bread and milk, electricity, it's all going to be the same.

One thing I've learned as I've got older is that opportunity is probably a bigger factor in becoming successful than hard work or talent.

In another thread, Maurice said he got a decent job a few weeks after leaving school at 16. This would be unheard of today unless your family was already loaded.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Nobody is saying the past was rosey. Times were tougher and jobs were on average tougher. The issue today is that the game is far more rigged against you, there isnt a route out, boomers had to scrimp, save and be sensible and they would emerge the other side as a homeowner with comfortable finances and a dignified, hopefully long, retirement.

There are millions of people now whose income and absolute base outgoings are such that this will not be possible for them. They aren't wasting money and they are doing jobs that absolutely need to be done but not being paid what they require to meet basic outgoings and plan for the future.
    Good post

I appreciate it is tougher, being of a positive mindset I focus on how youngsters could avoid landing up in that situation, but I realise we are not all the same, and that some people are really struggling. How the hell do we deal with this mess, that is another matter!

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    One thing I've learned as I've got older is that opportunity is probably a bigger factor in becoming successful than hard work or talent.

In another thread, Maurice said he got a decent job a few weeks after leaving school at 16. This would be unheard of today unless your family was already loaded.
    People have to take those opportunities, we should be our own children's career advisers, if they are going to university look for a course that will at least lead to a well-paid job, otherwise, it's a waste of three years when they could be saving for a deposit for a house and working their way up the jobs ladder.

We should also be financially educating them letting them know that car finance on a fancy car is a quick way to lose a lot money on a depreciating liability that will reduce what they can borrow for a house purchase and that try and avoid any finance other than for a property full stop.

I don’t think all boomers or oldies are doing that well, my in laws aren’t, mid 70’s, sold their house 12 years ago, faffed about and didn’t buy another, spent half the money and now they can’t afford one…..

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    People have to take those opportunities, we should be our own children's career advisers, if they are going to university look for a course that will at least lead to a well-paid job, otherwise, it's a waste of three years when they could be saving for a deposit for a house and working their way up the jobs ladder.

We should also be financially educating them letting them know that car finance on a fancy car is a quick way to lose a lot money on a depreciating liability that will reduce what they can borrow for a house purchase and that try and avoid any finance other than for a property full stop.
    You think people in their 20s are struggling because they're buying brand new BMWs?

I'm definitely all for more financial education (I certainly had none during school) but that's a bonkers example

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    As I said in another thread when you talked about netflix.

Everyone used to get a daily newspaper. It wasn't a luxury, it was the norm. If you want a daily newspaper now, the Sun for example is a quid a pop. Even if you don't buy it on weekends, that's 20 quid a month and double what Netflix costs.

That's just one example of many to show how much more expensive life is today than in your day. We could do bread and milk, electricity, it's all going to be the same.
    My Nan and Gransha used to smoke about 80 fags a day between them and they only had his wage coming in to the house. He didnt drink but a lot of working men his age were also down the pub/social club several times a week. Sunday mornings on the piss down the club, home for a roast dinner.

What would the cost of that be these days? More than a Netlfix subscription, an avocado and the odd take-away I know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t think all boomers or oldies are doing that well, my in laws aren’t, mid 70’s, sold their house 12 years ago, faffed about and didn’t buy another, spent half the money and now they can’t afford one…..
    My old man is still working at 71 hes never had so much money. Got his govenrment pension and his dirving job 40 hours a week, no mortgage since hes was 50, him and my mother go on 3/4 holidays abroad every year, twice as many weekends away in this country. They help me and my sister financially with their grandchildren so cant grumble but hes so out of touch with the pressures facing youngsters today, just because it doesnt really effect him, its frightening.

In fact, I cant say for definite but he could be posting on here as Maurice Swan.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    My Nan and Gransha used to smoke about 80 fags a day between them and they only had his wage coming in to the house. He didnt drink but a lot of working men his age were also down the pub/social club several times a week. Sunday mornings on the piss down the club, home for a roast dinner.

What would the cost of that be these days? More than a Netlfix subscription, an avocado and the odd take-away I know!!!
    Exactly! It's like this sketch reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Exactly! It's like this sketch reading this thread.

f-ing brilliant sketch

In fact, I cant say for definite but he could be posting on here as Maurice Swan.
    I missed this gem earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I missed this gem earlier!

My old man ....... help me and my sister financially with their grandchildren so cant grumble but hes so out of touch with the pressures facing youngsters today, just because it doesnt really effect him, its frightening.

Well son, guess I am rumbled.....good thing you have me then...now just behave yourself and stop being abusive.......

Back in the day, beer and fags were relatively cheap. I remember paying around £2.50 for 20 Benny Hedgehogs and £1.30 a pint when I was 18. According to the BoE inflation calculator the fags would now cost £5 and the beer around £2.60.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Back in the day, beer and fags were relatively cheap. I remember paying around £2.50 for 20 Benny Hedgehogs and £1.30 a pint when I was 18. According to the BoE inflation calculator the fags would now cost £5 and the beer around £2.60.
    On the other hand....I got my first house in 1972......these were the interest rates in the years following (mortgage rates near..)
    Bank rate at year end (%)*
    1972 7.38
    1979 17
    1980 14
    1981 14.375
    1982 10
    1983 9.0625
    1984 9.5
    1985 11.375
    1986 10.875
    1987 8.375
    1988 12.875
    1989 14.875
    1990 13.875
    1991 10.375
    1992 6.875
    1993 5.375
    1994 6.125
    1995 6.375
    1996 5.9375
    1997 7.25
    1998 6.25
    1999 5.5

On the other, other hand....

https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/...e-the-70s.html

House prices are currently sitting at 8.8 times the average earnings, more than doubling since the 1970s, according to new research from House Buyer Bureau.

The research shows that the average house price throughout the 1970s sat at just £9,277, the equivalent of £68,493 today after adjusting for inflation.

Although the average home may have been significantly more affordable when compared to the current market, the average earnings was also far lower at £2,265, or £16,723 after adjusting for inflation.

As a result, the average home during the 70s required 4.1 times income.

The 8.8 times average salary for an average house purchase today is UK wide. It is over 11x in London and nearer 6.5x in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post