Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Probably the same all over the country.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...efore-19504652

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

I had a click and collect which my wife booked about 2 months so went straight in. Once in you can then pick up whatever else you want.
    Newport rd branch was really quiet inside, not enough people to form a queue at the tils even. About 40 people queuing up outside at 10am, felt for them as once in people are taking ages....

Still really stupid though - a lady being interviewed said she got there 5:30, queued for ages and then walked over to Tesco’s and wandered straight in

I called into the M&S on Queen Street on my way home from work at around 4:00pm. There was a small queue to get into the food hall as numbers were being carefully monitored, but I was in the queue for two minutes tops. There were a few more people inside than I'd anticipated, but it wasn't too bad at all.

What struck me was just how much food is going to go to waste. The shelves were very well stocked with everything, but the expiry dates on most items weren't far away. I guess they'd bought lots of stock in anticipation of being busy in the lead-up to Christmas, but the latest lockdown (if it can be described as such) has put paid to that.

There must be loads of food shops in towns and city centres all over Wales that are in similar situations right now. So much food is going to have to be binned due to the closures of the shops classified as non-essential.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I called into the M&S on Queen Street on my way home from work at around 4:00pm. There was a small queue to get into the food hall as numbers were being carefully monitored, but I was in the queue for two minutes tops. There were a few more people inside than I'd anticipated, but it wasn't too bad at all.

What struck me was just how much food is going to go to waste. The shelves were very well stocked with everything, but the expiry dates on most items weren't far away. I guess they'd bought lots of stock in anticipation of being busy in the lead-up to Christmas, but the latest lockdown (if it can be described as such) has put paid to that.

There must be loads of food shops in towns and city centres all over Wales that are in similar situations right now. So much food is going to have to be binned due to the closures of the shops classified as non-essential.
    I think large food stores often have surplus stock redistribution schemes with local charities these days. But no idea if these are up and running in the current climate.