+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The state of Cardiff's housing market as prices grow twice as fast as wages

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The state of Cardiff's housing market as prices grow twice as fast as wages

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I bought my 1st house in The Hawthorns [Pentwyn], in 1976/7. for £14,000.According to Zoopla It sold for £140,000 a couple of yrs ago. Interest rates were 14%. Mortgage rates 16% at least at times. I was earning less than £5k. I'd saved for 4yrs with the Woolwich B.S. to get the deposit.
    No help from f*cking anyone. Today a mortgage on that house would cost not far off what I was paying with a less than £5k salary. All furniture borrowed or begged.
    It's never been easy buying a house, the differences between know and then are exaggerated..
    You're repeatedly missing the point like many in your generation.

You had a mortgage, many people my age who are working full time and always have done and have no hope of ever getting a mortgage. Home ownership for your generation at age 30 was 50%, for millenials its 30% and that figure is going to become rapidly smaller for gen z (https://abcfinance.co.uk/blog/generation-rent-study/)

Your house was less than 3x your wage, that is basically unheard of these days.

'A couple of years ago' so that price is already massively out of date, it's increased by at least 25% now.

Is it just me or are the boomers completely out of touch with modern life?

Re: The state of Cardiff's housing market as prices grow twice as fast as wages

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    You're repeatedly missing the point like many in your generation.

You had a mortgage, many people my age who are working full time and always have done and have no hope of ever getting a mortgage. Home ownership for your generation at age 30 was 50%, for millenials its 30% and that figure is going to become rapidly smaller for gen z (https://abcfinance.co.uk/blog/generation-rent-study/)

Your house was less than 3x your wage, that is basically unheard of these days.

'A couple of years ago' so that price is already massively out of date, it's increased by at least 25% now.

Is it just me or are the boomers completely out of touch with modern life?
    People don't start small any more and build up, they want to move in to their dream home straight away. A mortgage cost 3x what it does today - try a calculator with 1.7% and then 15% which I and others were paying. It's harder today, but that's to ignore that it wasn't exactly a bed of roses in the 70's 80's and early 90's