Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
In fact the Romans were very tolerant and accepting of most religions in the Empire, and built joint temples for local idols which were often shared with their own. They took a very different and much harsher view of Christianity from the outset.

The word "our" refers here to Christians, so that's easily dealt with.

insular, bigoted and oppressive are all subjective terms. You may well regard things as insular ,bigoted or oppressive which others might not. Similarly, in fairness , "low practises " is a subjective term , and I expect I regard some things as such which you regard as quite wholesome and acceptable.

These are personal choices, and you are quite free to make your own. I would say that anyone's choices will have consequences, but you clearly reject that idea given your comments about "supernatural beliefs ".

Now, given that I am only truthfully answering the question posed in the OP , I'm hardly enforcing my beliefs upon you and,whilst I'd be delighted for you to find the truth of Christianity, I'm not going after anyone in the way that you seem to be doing.

If we can extrapolate the few points of yours I've read , I expect you'll be quite left wing and convinced about many things which I would reject because I've found that you can usually package these various beliefs together as being counter arguments against the plain truth, and persuasions to disregard the nature of the world in favour of some superficially more attractive version in which you can do what you like. Your choice entirely , as I've said, but do try and understand that you're practising a religion yourself because if I'm right about your general views , that'd tick all the boxes for a religion.

Last thing about the truth, well in fact the truth is very important to me.
Being non-religious is not ‘doing what you like’. It’s actually quite possible for non-religious people to live a good life and to behave ethically just to make the most of the one life we have and not due to a fear of supernatural consequences.