+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Christmas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Christmas

I think I'll give up on these religious 'debates'. A great many people who are indoctrinated as children will believe the most ridiculous tosh for which there is absolutely zero evidence. The following are just a miniscule proportion of the ludicrous stories that people swallow whole. The list could go on and on and rational debate is impossible with people who believe it all.

A talking snake
    Virgin birth
    Noah being 500 years old when he built the Ark
    David presenting the foreskins of 200 victims in order to marry the king's daughter
    God making a donkey have the power of speech
    Creatures with wings and four faces
    Moses banishing people with damaged testicles offering food at the temple
    Lot offering his daughters to be raped to save two angels being raped
    Lot's daughter getting their father drunk to have sex with him
    Human-God hybrids
    God punishing Nebuchadnezzar by making him live in the fields as a cow for 7 seasons
    Jonah being rescued by living in a fish for 3 days
    God sparing Moses from death after the latter's wife cuts their child's foreskin and applies the blood to Moses' feet

Oh yeah, God created a miracle by raising the ground under the feet of St David so that the crowd could see him but chose not to intervene during the holocaust. It's an insult to one's intelligence, it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think I'll give up on these religious 'debates'. A great many people who are indoctrinated as children will believe the most ridiculous tosh for which there is absolutely zero evidence. The following are just a miniscule proportion of the ludicrous stories that people swallow whole. The list could go on and on and rational debate is impossible with people who believe it all.

A talking snake
    Virgin birth
    David presenting the foreskins of 200 victims in order to marry the king's daughter
    Human-God hybrids
    God punishing Nebuchadnezzar by making him live in the fields as a cow for 7 seasons
    God sparing Moses from death after the latter's wife cuts their child's foreskin and applies the blood to Moses' feet

Oh yeah, God created a miracle by raising the ground under the feet of St David so that the crowd could see him but chose not to intervene during the holocaust. It's an insult to one's intelligence, it really is.
    Regarding indoctrinated children. Children tend to grow into adults don't they and make their own minds up? I rejected Christianity in my teens because of the hypocrisy I witnessed among some “Christians” plus I thought science had all the answers.

You are right, the early Jews certainly had some strange notions/customs/events it seems and I cannot explain them all. Thankfully Jesus speaks about the new covenant and it is he that I choose to follow. Without Jesus I would find it difficult to believe in God as the one sometimes portrayed in the Old Testament. I would say that Jesus is far more concerned with matters of the human condition, how a person thinks and lives, and having a personal relationship with him, not whether they believe in every detail in the Old Testament. I am content with the knowledge that the books therein point to the coming of a Messiah and the prophesies about Jesus, all of which have been fulfilled so far, bar the second coming.

Let's suppose you and others are right, I am completely deluded, and the whole thing is indeed a load of baloney. All I can say is I was glad I chose to follow the Jesus way, tried to be a good witness for him, and hopefully played some (minuscule) part in leaving the world in a slightly better shape for having been here. It's a shame that more people do not accept Jesus, even if just for his teachings alone, the world would be a much better place IMO.

This may now be a good time for me to bow out gracefully from this thread. You and others on here know where I stand, there is no more to be said. Feel free to ridicule me in my absence!

Let this verse have the last say: "Most importantly, I want to remind you that in the last days scoffers will come, mocking the truth and following their own desires". 2 Peter 3:3.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

A talking snake
    Virgin birth
    Human-God hybrids

Yes, you'd need to be almighty to do ALL of those things!