+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stupid quarantine rules in Wales...do I ignore it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Stupid quarantine rules in Wales...do I ignore it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The rules are there for a reason- to protect us. Drakeford said hed rather wait a few more weeks in which time, a greater percentage the population would have been vaccinated. His more cautious approach has been shown to be effective. Boris's less cautious approach has him ignore the scientists in the autumn who advised a lockdown, and him allowing a 10 day window for travellers to enter the country from India, bringing the Delta variant with them.
    If you think its Wales's quarantine rules that are stupid, and not England's, then previous experience would suggest it's the other way around.
    It's there throughout this thread isn't it, the certainty that the UK (English) Government have got it right and the Welsh Government have got it wrong, when, as a general rule, the opposite has applied throughout the length of the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's there throughout this thread isn't it, the certainty that the UK (English) Government have got it right and the Welsh Government have got it wrong, when, as a general rule, the opposite has applied throughout the length of the pandemic.

Im not a great fan of Drakeford as you know. He annoys me by making political capital whenever he can. Recently he was on air saying were had the best vaccination rates in the world!!

Lots of comments that we are doing better than England.

However the facts are that since the start of the pandemic the incidence per capita England 0.7% of the population, Wales 0.7%

Death rate from those getting Covid. England 2.8%, Wales 2.6%

So whatever 'the stupid quarantine rules in Wales'. there is nothing to choose between us and England when you measure outcomes

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Im not a great fan of Drakeford as you know. He annoys me by making political capital whenever he can. Recently he was on air saying were had the best vaccination rates in the world!!

However the facts are that since the start of the pandemic the incidence per capita England 0.7% of the population, Wales 0.7%

So whatever 'the stupid quarantine rules in Wales'. there is nothing to choose between us and England when you measure outcomes
    And I forgot to mention vaccines...England fully vaccinated 43% of population, Wales 39% population

Dont let facts get in the way of a CCMB Boris Bashing Session

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Dont let facts get in the way of a CCMB Boris Bashing Session
    What facts? The only one out of those quoted where England are doing better than Wales is in the double dose vaccines and, if I wanted to, I could argue that the second vaccine is a higher priority over the border because of the increased presence of the Indian variant following the decision to allow travel between the two countries in the spring.

What is clear is that the widespread assumption in this thread that the UK Government is dealing with the pandemic correctly and the Welsh Government isn’t is not backed up by stats produced by a self confessed Drakeford basher.

Although I’ve not bothered checking the claim, there’s been stories saying Wales has the best vaccine rates in the world for weeks hasn’t there? As for Drakeford making capital, that’s what politicians do isn’t it? You get Torys bringing the vaccine roll out into conversations about, for example, defence spending and you can understand it in a way because it is something that they’ve generally reckoned to have make a success of.

Although I’ve not bothered checking the claim, there’s been stories saying Wales has the best vaccine rates in the world for weeks hasn’t there? As for Drakeford making capital, that’s what politicians do isn’t it? You get Torys bringing the vaccine roll out into conversations about, for example, defence spending and you can understand it in a way because it is something that they’ve generally reckoned to have make a success of.
    My OP by the way should say the incidence since the pandemic began is 7%( not0.7) and its the same for England and Wales

As far as vaccinations go I did mention those fully vaccinated ( 2 jabs) at 43% for England and 39% for Wales.

Yes, politicians do make political capital but how can he say we have the best rates in the world when we haven't.

The basic facts are that the incidence of Covid and the death rates England v Wales overall are virtually identical despite people arguing on this board that one is better than the other

My OP by the way should say the incidence since the pandemic began is 7%( not0.7) and its the same for England and Wales

As far as vaccinations go I did mention those fully vaccinated ( 2 jabs) at 43% for England and 39% for Wales.

Yes, politicians do make political capital but how can he say we have the best rates in the world when we haven't.

The basic facts are that the incidence of Covid and the death rates England v Wales overall are virtually identical despite people arguing on this board that one is better than the other
    https://www.newstatesman.com/science...9-vaccine-race

No doubt the New Statesman is correct which is what Drakeford is quoting when he says we lead the world. Well done Wales.

But in completing the course ie 2 jabs we are lagging behind with 39% of population having had both jabs. Latest data from Wales Public Health shows 1,237,123 people having 2 doses 39% of our population of 3.15 m.

No doubt the New Statesman is correct which is what Drakeford is quoting when he says we lead the world. Well done Wales.

But in completing the course ie 2 jabs we are lagging behind with 39% of population having had both jabs. Latest data from Wales Public Health shows 1,237,123 people having 2 doses 39% of our population of 3.15 m.
    Actually we may not be behind. England figures are real time. The way they are recorded means Wales are 5 days behind. Wales is 39.2 with 5 days of jabs not included.

Why are you continuing to use total population figures when under 18’s are not as yet included in the process ? Its 49.2% of the eligible population that have received the two doses and over 86% the first dose, in Wales.

Latest fully covid vaccinated figures are :- England 53%, Wales 49%. You seem to have under reported both. Wales has first vaccinated 86% of its adult population - one of the highest rates in the world and 10% more than England.

In terms of over 18's (a different figure to those you've mentioned in your post) England is leading the way in the UK for two jabs and has about 5% more done than Wales but Wales is leading the way in terms of one jabs and is about 10% higher than next nation (England) within the UK.

We have the best rates in terms of first doses and part of that is the different strategy employed. One dose of the vaccine is about 33% effective two weeks after against the Delta variant so it might not end up being the best strategy but presumably it's quicker to second dose a population than first and second dose so we'll see how it develops and how we evaluate with hindsight. At the moment we can remember criticism when Drakeford said it wasn't a race and be glad so many are coming forward.

I'm sure the OP won't pay attention to these facts because they prefer your analysis though.

In terms of the OP, this is turning into whether they should respect rules of Wales if it's different to what they want to do. As TLG said earlier, it's seems they've made up their mind already.

Wales has fewer ICU beds per 100,000 than England so that's one reason to suggest that if Wales only has same death rates as England despite this then the Welsh strategy has worked better. At the end of the day the biggest mistakes have been putting people back into care homes (all nations did this) and lack of action taken at winter with Scotland taking action first (and having the reduced spike to show for it) and England taking action last (with the highest spike of deaths to show for it). It's unlikely we find out definitively which was best so will continue to be more opinion than clear analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    In terms of over 18's (a different figure to those you've mentioned in your post) England is leading the way in the UK for two jabs and has about 5% more done than Wales but Wales is leading the way in terms of one jabs and is about 10% higher than next nation (England) within the UK.

We have the best rates in terms of first doses and part of that is the different strategy employed. One dose of the vaccine is about 33% effective two weeks after against the Delta variant so it might not end up being the best strategy but presumably it's quicker to second dose a population than first and second dose so we'll see how it develops and how we evaluate with hindsight. At the moment we can remember criticism when Drakeford said it wasn't a race and be glad so many are coming forward.

I'm sure the OP won't pay attention to these facts because they prefer your analysis though.

In terms of the OP, this is turning into whether they should respect rules of Wales if it's different to what they want to do. As TLG said earlier, it's seems they've made up their mind already.

Wales has fewer ICU beds per 100,000 than England so that's one reason to suggest that if Wales only has same death rates as England despite this then the Welsh strategy has worked better. At the end of the day the biggest mistakes have been putting people back into care homes (all nations did this) and lack of action taken at winter with Scotland taking action first (and having the reduced spike to show for it) and England taking action last (with the highest spike of deaths to show for it). It's unlikely we find out definitively which was best so will continue to be more opinion than clear analysis.
    So are you implying that more people should have died in Wales because we have not invested in ICU beds to the same extent as England?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

When I posted this on the 6th Wales was 10.1% ahead of England in terms of first jabs and 4.2% behind in terms of second.

As of the 11th of June Wales has managed 9.4% more first jabs than England while is 3.4% behind England in terms of second jabs.

It's not a race, there are many different factors at play and it's dependent on people coming forward especially if they think they've been missed. In terms of the Delta Variant the protection is much greater after 2nd jabs.

Im not a great fan of Drakeford as you know. He annoys me by making political capital whenever he can.
    A politician seeking to make political capital? Wow!!!

You'll be telling us footballers play football next....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A politician seeking to make political capital? Wow!!!

You'll be telling us footballers play football next....
    It seems arguing with Drakeford is like reading a Software License Agreement. In the end you just click ' I Agree'

It seems arguing with Drakeford is like reading a Software License Agreement. In the end you just click ' I Agree'
    Which one of your lot would you prefer to see in charge in Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Which one of your lot would you prefer to see in charge in Wales?
    I think I know what you are getting at by ' your lot' but it took some serious working out.

What I said in my OP was that despite Wales being cautious and Drakeford emphasising this approach, the overall incidence of Covid in Wales and the overall death rates are virtually identical to England. So is all this fuss with ' stupid quarantine rules in Wales' really worth it for the people of Wales. The outcome data says NO

I think I know what you are getting at by ' your lot' but it took some serious working out.

What I said in my OP was that despite Wales being cautious and Drakeford emphasising this approach, the overall incidence of Covid in Wales and the overall death rates are virtually identical to England. So is all this fuss with ' stupid quarantine rules in Wales' really worth it for the people of Wales. The outcome data says NO
    Serious working out who else did you have in mind? The Lisvane/Brecon Meat Purveyors Appreciation Society?