+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Garage conversions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Garage conversions

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You have been given some quite misleading advice here. Never take advice about needing planning or building regulation consent for a job from a builder. Nine times out of ten they will tell you not, to save time/money.
    To be fair, Some builders will point out the risks aswell as the gains

In reality, you are taking a Brick / Block cube with no insulation ( often it will have power ) and adding insulation and Plasterboard, as long as its done in a safe way, it doesnt need to be over complicated

When i was looking to move 2 years ago, the amount of " buildings and conversions " that were listed on the details, a " roof room for storage " ( it was a 5th bedroom , but not signed off ) , " garden rooms / posh sheds / man caves / home bars " ( all that were unoffical buildings without BC ) converting buildings without the " red tape " is not a new thing ( i was doing it in the early 90's and people i worked with since the 80's )

Yes of course PP and BC is great, but at times it makes the project a no-go due to the extra expense, and sometimes the risk isnt worth the money , for example I once did a double garage conversion for someone who was planning for the mother to move into it, it had a wetroom ( with toilet ) and " kitchen pod ", all finished to a high spec, they went all out, The mother was living in it for 3 weeks then passed away the guy then turned it into a Games room and it was hardly used

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    To be fair, Some builders will point out the risks aswell as the gains

In reality, you are taking a Brick / Block cube with no insulation ( often it will have power ) and adding insulation and Plasterboard, as long as its done in a safe way, it doesnt need to be over complicated

When i was looking to move 2 years ago, the amount of " buildings and conversions " that were listed on the details, a " roof room for storage " ( it was a 5th bedroom , but not signed off ) , " garden rooms / posh sheds / man caves / home bars " ( all that were unoffical buildings without BC ) converting buildings without the " red tape " is not a new thing ( i was doing it in the early 90's and people i worked with since the 80's )

Yes of course PP and BC is great, but at times it makes the project a no-go due to the extra expense, and sometimes the risk isnt worth the money , for example I once did a double garage conversion for someone who was planning for the mother to move into it, it had a wetroom ( with toilet ) and " kitchen pod ", all finished to a high spec, they went all out, The mother was living in it for 3 weeks then passed away the guy then turned it into a Games room and it was hardly used
    He should've turned it into a shrine to his mum. Selfish bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He should've turned it into a shrine to his mum. Selfish bastard.
    Pool table and the full outrun cabinet

with a bar in the corner ( made from Scaffold planks for the bartop and crinkle tin roof sheet for the front i know as i built it for him )