+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

Re: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No, my default position is to trust journalists no more than I do politicians. In fact, given no one elected them, and they only have to give their readership what they want to read, I probably trust them even less.

It's just predictable stuff, which after a while gets very boring. Whether it's the Daily Mail picking on Corbyns suit, or the guardian finding some journalist to pull apart Liz Truss's back story..it's all just pulling people in one direction and away from any sensible middle ground.

Guardian nearly always supports Labour, sometimes Lib Dems, although from recollection I think TOBW is right in that their position is generally anti-conservative more than anything. Very grown up.

I think the standard of writing is higher at the guardian than the Mail - one is a tabloid and one isn't says it all. Where the guardian falls down is in it's editorial purity. You simply won't read about a story that isn't aligned to it's editorial position - so everything about brexit is negative, everything about the Tories is negative etc etc. It's just not reporting things as they are.

Daily Mail probably has a greater diversity of opinion in all honesty - and it shows.
    James Wales has “pronounced” in his inimitable fashion, so that’s an end to the discussion then.

Re: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So which party does it back? I can think of six national daily’s that are Conservative backers at election time and three which tend not to endorse the Conservatives, but only one of those consistently backs the Labour Party. It’s hardly a fair balance and I’d also remind you that Wikipedia does not consider the Daily Mail reliable enough to use as a reference. Despite its faults, the Guardian is a far more objective paper than the Mail
    I didn't mention a party it backs, Bob. I merely mentioned its predictability.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I didn't mention a party it backs, Bob. I merely mentioned its predictability.
    You were saying it’s just the same as the Daily Mail, I don’t see how it can be when it doesn’t always slavishly endorse the same party.

You were saying it’s just the same as the Daily Mail, I don’t see how it can be when it doesn’t always slavishly endorse the same party.
    I said it was as predictable. I didn't say it was the same.

I just found out that Penny Muardant is one of them childless freak career women. Which should automatically ban her from the leadership race and Parliament, if i had my way. She's also intellectually barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    I just found out that Penny Muardant is one of them childless freak career women. Which should automatically ban her from the leadership race and Parliament, if i had my way. She's also intellectually barren.
    Says a man who misspelt her name.

He's got form remember, he misspelt his own!

Petty

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Petty
    Tom? Don't forget the Heartbreakers!

I said it was as predictable. I didn't say it was the same.
    The Guardian carries a weekly column by the deputy political editor of the right wing magazine The Spectator and I’ve read plenty of articles written by Conservative MPs in there down the years. The Guardian is “predictable” to the extent that it has a political position and, by and large, it reflects that, but show me a UK National newspaper that doesn’t do that - even the Daily Star carries political headlines on occasions these days and the former Independent is no longer that, all of them are “predictable” to varying degrees.

James Wales has “pronounced” in his inimitable fashion, so that’s an end to the discussion then.
    You've said this before Bob, and I'm not sure why, it doesn't seem fair. This is a forum, by definition people are expressing a view and then inviting others to respond - I suppose we could all bookend each post with I think at the start and do you agree? at the end, but I think that's a given isn't it?

The discussion isn't over, and if you can't think of a response, that isn't my problem! There are people with far worse writing styles on here than me as you well know.

You've said this before Bob, and I'm not sure why, it doesn't seem fair. This is a forum, by definition people are expressing a view and then inviting others to respond - I suppose we could all bookend each post with I think at the start and do you agree? at the end, but I think that's a given isn't it?

The discussion isn't over, and if you can't think of a response, that isn't my problem! There are people with far worse writing styles on here than me as you well know.
    Is that a fact or your personal opinion?

Is that a fact or your personal opinion?
    Ha, that's an opinion!

What is a fact is that some people are very strong in their borderline hatred of certain groups on here, which many people are quiet about. That's what I refer to on this occasion.

That's an opinion.

What is a fact is that some people are very strong in their borderline hatred of certain groups on here, which many people are quiet about. That's what I refer to on this occasion.
    I was merely being playful, old fruit.

I was merely being playful, old fruit.
    Nooo, I know. Sorry old bean. I did edit it to add a jolly 'Ha' and fun loving '!' to emphasise, but you were too quick off the mark..

Nooo, I know. Sorry old bean. I did edit it to add a jolly 'Ha' and fun loving '!' to emphasise, but you were too quick off the mark..
    I sincerely apologise for my rapier-like reaction. If this was the Wild West you would have been a goner, you know.

The thing is that the invitation to respond you refer to is difficult to recognise in your case as your stuff often reads as if you are ruling on what’s been said and trying to close the conversation down.

Tobias Ellwood has had the Tory whip withdrawn - that’s what happened to Penny Maurdent’s missing vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...onfidence-vote

The thing is that the invitation to respond you refer to is difficult to recognise in your case as your stuff often reads as if you are ruling on what’s been said and trying to close the conversation down.
    I wrote 'I think' twice in the post. It's pretty clear, I'm not trying to shut anything down

I'll take it as a compliment that my post was so devastating in it's accuracy that any response is impossible! (I'm joking here..!)

Badenoch out just as she was topping the latest poll of Tory party members. Having seen that poll, it seems to me that Truss will become our next Prime Minister.

Badenoch out just as she was topping the latest poll of Tory party members. Having seen that poll, it seems to me that Truss will become our next Prime Minister.
    I'm afraid you moght be right Bob.

I wasn't expecting nearly half of Tugendhats supporters to go to Truss

And I expect the majority of Badenoch supporters to switch to Truss now.

But who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I'm afraid you moght be right Bob.

I wasn't expecting nearly half of Tugendhats supporters to go to Truss

And I expect the majority of Badenoch supporters to switch to Truss now.

But who knows?
    How about this for a long shot? I can’t see many Badenoch supporters switching to Sunak, so, with that poll appearing to confirm he’s got no chance of winning the members vote, would his MP supporters realise the game is up for him and start switching their votes to Truss and Maudent and we get two women contenders?

Think it’s a bit too far fetched, but not by much - Truss is surely going to get more of the Badenoch vote than Maudent, but I honestly believe she’s the worst of the last five candidates as far as winning the next election for the Tories is concerned.

Every cloud has a silver lining. I'm rooting for Liz 👍

How about this for a long shot? I can’t see many Badenoch supporters switching to Sunak, so, with that poll appearing to confirm he’s got no chance of winning the members vote, would his MP supporters realise the game is up for him and start switching their votes to Truss and Maudent and we get two women contenders?

Think it’s a bit too far fetched, but not by much - Truss is surely going to get more of the Badenoch vote than Maudent, but I honestly believe she’s the worst of the last five candidates as far as winning the next election for the Tories is concerned.
    While I tend to agree with your analysis in your final paragraph Bob, as I pointed out in another thread, probably the only chance she has is if she picks a decent Cabinet rather than Boris Johnsons which had too many yes men (or women) and nonentities.

Unfortunately since both Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nadine Dorries backed her strongly at the start, I fear she may include them again.

Whatever you say, Boris is a compulsive liar and is a man of limited ethics. He has a history of deceit and not being a team player. I don't think there is a 'need' for that type of politician.
    No. Boris is just open about his contemptable behaviour, the rest are deceitful in that they try and hide it