+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So it's National Insurance then

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: So it's National Insurance then

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    We desperately needed to make sure that pensioners with 500k+ wealth only need to spend a fraction of it on care? They can't spend it when you are dead and their 'kids' are already retirement age.
    Sounds like the politics of envy there to me. Plus, just because you are living in a house worth over £500000 doesn’t mean you are rich. There are two or three bed semis in Cardiff worth that. Plus again that most pensioners have worked hard all their life, paid their taxes and National Insurance, and spent/saved their money prudently, so why should they have their property snatched off them later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Sounds like the politics of envy there to me. Plus, just because you are living in a house worth over £500000 doesn’t mean you are rich. There are two or three bed semis in Cardiff worth that. Plus again that most pensioners have worked hard all their life, paid their taxes and National Insurance, and spent/saved their money prudently, so why should they have their property snatched off them later in life.
    Sounds like a slogan somebody without a point uses to me.

You don't think people should have to pay for their own food and housing? That's a bit too far left for me you tankie.

You could also take the view that if you have plenty of savings why should the state fund your every need so that you can pass on your wealth to your kids.

Ive never understood the argument that your house has to be sold of to pay for care

these people have paid tax's and NI all their lives, yes they own a home, but surely paying NI and tax's for 50 years mean they have paid enough into the " pot " to not have their home sold from under them

I must have been in my early 20's when I first heard of this, a colleague was angry that his parents were heading into a home, he had been told they had to sell their home ( they had built it themselves down in Cornwall overlooking a beach ) this couple had both worked till retirement ( he was a doctor and she worked as a school nurse giving MMR jabs around Cornwall ) of course they had paid a lot in to the pot, yet were having the house taken away to fund the care home

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive never understood the argument that your house has to be sold of to pay for care

these people have paid tax's and NI all their lives, yes they own a home, but surely paying NI and tax's for 50 years mean they have paid enough into the " pot " to not have their home sold from under them

I must have been in my early 20's when I first heard of this, a colleague was angry that his parents were heading into a home, he had been told they had to sell their home ( they had built it themselves down in Cornwall overlooking a beach ) this couple had both worked till retirement ( he was a doctor and she worked as a school nurse giving MMR jabs around Cornwall ) of course they had paid a lot in to the pot, yet were having the house taken away to fund the care home
    There isn't a pot. We are 2 Trillion in debt, if anything, the longer you have been alive, the longer you have been bankrupting the country.

Think how much they've paid in, and how quickly that would be used up in pension and care costs. they will never have paid "enough" into the pot, and its unwise to use that as an argument when discussing the issue.

I feel bad for people in that situation. Chances are, I'll be in that situation myself one day.

But realistically, how can 'the pot' completely support a beautiful beachfront property and care home costs?

When you say the house was taken away, was it being repossessed by the mortgage company?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I feel bad for people in that situation. Chances are, I'll be in that situation myself one day.

But realistically, how can 'the pot' completely support a beautiful beachfront property and care home costs?

When you say the house was taken away, was it being repossessed by the mortgage company?
    Because they owned a home they had to use the equity on this home to fund their care - it’s not free to them.
    How bad would they have felt in their final years knowing this has happened and leave little to pass on
    Then there are people who have lived off the state forever and continue to get that care for free.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Because they owned a home they had to use the equity on this home to fund their care - it’s not free to them.
    How bad would they have felt in their final years knowing this has happened and leave little to pass on
    Then there are people who have lived off the state forever and continue to get that care for free.
    Yes I see your point here

Feedback

the point here is that the NICs paid by today's pensioners were based on life expectancy after retirement of 5 may be 10 years. We are now seeing pensioners live well into their 90s, meaning the cost of their pension is 3x what it was originally thought to be. You factor in social care and health care costs too and suddenly you appreciate today's pensioners have paid in nowhere near enough.

the issue is that pensioners forma huge voting block, and governments are scared of upsetting the block for fear of losing large swathes of votes.

something had to be done, although whether the way to finance it was the way chosen by this government is debatable.