Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
Leeds United's 3-1 victory over West Brom today meant they finished the Premier League season on 59 points - the highest tally by a newly-promoted side in 20 years.

They also finished with 62 goals scored - a new record for a promoted club in a 38-game Premier League season. Indeed, they scored four more goals than fourth-placed Chelsea.

Earlier in the season, I can remember some of our regular contributors claiming that Leeds had a glorified Championship squad that would be found out as the 20/21 campaign wore on. They clearly didn't and they certainly weren't.

I think the Leeds situation offered all of us an insight into how teams can retain their EPL status after promotion.

Yes teams can get out of the championship with high intensity, low possession and direct football... but that ultimately alone cannot retain a premier league status. We are testament to that.

Of course, one season doesn't mean that Leeds will sustain their status but I think they have more chance than other teams who went up playing a less possession style game.

So maybe the lesson is that it may take you a while longer to get there it is more sustainable.

Certainly seems that way but let's see. Second season may be more difficult.

Of course, it doesn't me we have to like them.