Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
There's much we disagree on and much we agree on, one of which is the severe crisis in housing which disproportionately impacts younger people, although is a major issue for all.

My sister's ex rents a three bed house which he shares with my niece and nephew when they stay with him. The landlord is raising his rent from £750 to £1350. It's an absolute scandal and appalling for him, and by definition anyone connected.

But what policies have the older generation voted for to make people poorer? Perhaps they are more prone to nimbyism, but we also see lots of fresh faced young environmentalists opposing new housing.

The biggest issue is immigration and that's something younger generations seem to support yo the hilt, seemingly unaware of the impact it has on housing. The link to housing and wages was far more stable before immigration soared in the early 2000s. There are though, many many factors. I don't see any of them particularly driven by the older generation though. That argument strikes me as a convenient but unhelpful and divisive sideshow.
While I don't disagree 700,000 people a year coming to the UK is unsustainable it's also true that we are building far less social housing per year than we used to. I think we have 2 million less council houses than we did 20 years ago.

I don't know if the table shown in this article is true or not, if it is its shocking how few are being built now.
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/key-events-in-history-of-uk-council-housing/37332881.html

While you may dislike him, Corbyn would have at least tried to build more social housing, the UK voted against him, twice and it was older people who were more likely to vote against him.