+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Splott Boozer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Splott Boozer

Are there ANY pubs left in Splott? At one time, it was like there was one on every corner.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Are there ANY pubs left in Splott? At one time, it was like there was one on every corner.
    I used to work at the nearby ASW (GKN) steelworks. I always remember calling in the Grosvenor after a 2-10pm shift for a quick pint, before getting the works' bus home. It prompted me to look online to see if it was still there (yeah, I know ) and I came across this article....

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...or-pub-1902635

The local councillor says there is only one pub in the area, and that article dates back to 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    that's the same in a lot of places. in Victorian times and earlier there was a pub on every corner and others on the street as well in some areas.
    some of the new housing areas they build don't have any pubs to walk to. if you live the Asda side of pontprennau you've got a much longer walk to find the nearest few pubs than anyone who used to live in temperance town before they knocked it down.
    in reality we all live in temperance towns these days