+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Expats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Expats

I've lived abroad for 12 years.

I live in Uganda but I have had a long association with Uganda even before moving here.. and even worked for the Ugandan Government.

I don't consider myself an expat... I am here as a guest.

In my experience those who call themselves expats are usually the kind of people who hate immigrants and are quite colonial in their attitude. hate those types, we have a lot here in Uganda. I make a point of calling them migrants and their blood boils. Wankers.

However, back to your question.

There are so many pros living here. It's beautiful, the people are great, the climate is the best on the planet and if you have a fairly decent income the lifestyle is great. Although school fees are a real burden.

Bringing up kids here has been amazing. They have done stuff that honestly I wouldn't have been able to afford in the UK... tennis lessons from a pro, swimming lessons from Olympic coaches, horse riding lessons etc. Dare I say that in the school my kids go to that there has been very little peer pressure and bullying has been very little and dealt with very well. The education standards have been outstanding. But of course I have had to pay for that. I made sure though that I choose a school with a very diverse mix of both students and also teachers, prioritising Ugandan teachers and admin staff - so not a typical 'expat' school.

There are downsides. Due to the work I do I have been poisoned, threatened, shot at and had nasty media reports about me.

Also, while I believe all countries are corrupt, Uganda does have a lot of corruption and it's hard seeing Ugandans suffering due to those in power, often aided by foreigners, grifting and stealing resources. Also, seeing the way that westerners perceive Uganda and come along doing the wrong things is tough. My masters dissertation was on 'the damaging effect of mission trips to Uganda'.

Another downside is not being able to get back home for emergencies easily and seeing my parents and siblings. But I may be shifting home next year.

All in all.... would recommend it wholly!

Loving this thread, keep it going. I did my primary schooling in Adelaide, SA and visited for the first time in 43 years just before the pandemic. I wish I had emigrated when I was younger, but too old now with family over here. I just hope that i earn enough to let me return to Oz every few years (when we can)

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Loving this thread, keep it going. I did my primary schooling in Adelaide, SA and visited for the first time in 43 years just before the pandemic. I wish I had emigrated when I was younger, but too old now with family over here. I just hope that i earn enough to let me return to Oz every few years (when we can)
    Yeah, what a lovely thread hearing people's experiences and also their plans / wishes.

This is why this board is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I've lived abroad for 12 years.

I live in Uganda but I have had a long association with Uganda even before moving here.. and even worked for the Ugandan Government.

I don't consider myself an expat... I am here as a guest.

In my experience those who call themselves expats are usually the kind of people who hate immigrants and are quite colonial in their attitude. hate those types, we have a lot here in Uganda. I make a point of calling them migrants and their blood boils. Wankers.

However, back to your question.

There are so many pros living here. It's beautiful, the people are great, the climate is the best on the planet and if you have a fairly decent income the lifestyle is great. Although school fees are a real burden.

Bringing up kids here has been amazing. They have done stuff that honestly I wouldn't have been able to afford in the UK... tennis lessons from a pro, swimming lessons from Olympic coaches, horse riding lessons etc. Dare I say that in the school my kids go to that there has been very little peer pressure and bullying has been very little and dealt with very well. The education standards have been outstanding. But of course I have had to pay for that. I made sure though that I choose a school with a very diverse mix of both students and also teachers, prioritising Ugandan teachers and admin staff - so not a typical 'expat' school.

There are downsides. Due to the work I do I have been poisoned, threatened, shot at and had nasty media reports about me.

Also, while I believe all countries are corrupt, Uganda does have a lot of corruption and it's hard seeing Ugandans suffering due to those in power, often aided by foreigners, grifting and stealing resources. Also, seeing the way that westerners perceive Uganda and come along doing the wrong things is tough. My masters dissertation was on 'the damaging effect of mission trips to Uganda'.

Another downside is not being able to get back home for emergencies easily and seeing my parents and siblings. But I may be shifting home next year.

All in all.... would recommend it wholly!
    Interesting stuff about a country I know little about. Isn’t it on the equator so quite hot and humid? Also South Sudan, Somalia, Rwanda, Ethiopia all nearby, quite volatile places some with conflicts on going but Uganda is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Interesting stuff about a country I know little about. Isn’t it on the equator so quite hot and humid? Also South Sudan, Somalia, Rwanda, Ethiopia all nearby, quite volatile places some with conflicts on going but Uganda is ok?
    It's a volatile region with Uganda being one of the more stable influences here.

But that's to do with having the same guy in charge for over 30 years and while that is awful, it does taper expectations.

The corruption here is ridiculous.. the rich are the MPs, businessmen who bribe, the police and of course 'Pastors' who are scammers. I dislike the missionary community in particular.

I have reconciled that as I am a guest here I will just concentrate on my work and family and not get too much into the broader issues unless it's to do with my work. My work puts me in conflict with enough bad actors, so I stay out of the rest of politics.

When trouble does flair up, it's pretty easy to avoid it and Uganda generally has a respectful attitude towards foreigners. I mean we have the second largest immigrant population in the world, Mainly from African countries but it has developed a culture of acceptances.

You would have read about the anti gay stuff here but for the most part my friends and colleagues don't bother about it. Many are gay and just get on with it. I could write a book about that whole thing.

I could list many things I dislike about Uganda but it has been a wonderful place to raise children and they have been very safe, happy and healthy.

Pleased to say that all three have remained Cardiff supporters, especially the youngest who is 13, born in Cardiff but left when she was 1.

As for the weather. It's perfect, especially in the central areas. Never humid. Kampala in particular is lovely as it's built around 7 hills so always a breeze, clouds etc. But it's moderate and when it does get hot easy to stay out of the sun. It's a great all year for people with arthritis.

Next year I'll be coming back more often as the kids are returning with their mum and my parents are now getting elderly so want to spend more time with them. I still have work here so will come back and forth, meaning I'll get the best of both worlds. Well that's the plan.

I would highly recommend this part of the world, East Africa, especially if you have a decent income (for much of my time here I haven't as there is little financial reward in child protection)... But if you do, enjoying the national parks and surrounding counties like Tanzania, the beaches in Kenya, the Rwandan mountains and in particular Zanzibar... Then it's wonderful.