+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    ~Maybe so?

But situations vary both with road conditions and vehicles. For example a car can be limited to 70mph on a motorway, but what about a car towing a caravan. The limiter is on the car set at 70, whereas the speed limit if towing is 60mph
    Yeah but the limiter doesn't mean it can ONLY go 70 you maddo

~Maybe so?

But situations vary both with road conditions and vehicles. For example a car can be limited to 70mph on a motorway, but what about a car towing a caravan. The limiter is on the car set at 70, whereas the speed limit if towing is 60mph
    So basically the same situation that we have now?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yeah but the limiter doesn't mean it can ONLY go 70 you maddo
    Of course..but it does mean the limiter will allow a car towing a caravan to travel at up to 70mph when the speed limiting for a vehicle towing is 60mph

i stayed at the speed limit on a trip to and back from porthcawl i have to say there was many more cars and especially motor bikes driving closer to me behind than usual

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Sure, if you don't want to be tracked than don't own a device or item with GPS tracking technology. SatNavs and phones do this already. It's worth doing some research for yourself and understanding the tech. a bit more. Your TV, your fridge, your home security system is tracking your comings and goings all the time.

Another tech. will be black box technology. That's a different ball game. Tesla are leaders in Autonomous Driving which is another fascinating technology which will need to have black boxes to be examined in the case of accidents and technical failures. This stuff logs everything you do.

Edit: add CCTV and facial recognition software (already in use for congestion charges) is worth mentioning too.
    I'm very much aware of the tech but thanks for your condescending reply.

All sounds like a bit of a stress. Maybe we should just leave things as they are?

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    I'm very much aware of the tech but thanks for your condescending reply.
    I'm sorry if you found it condescending. It wasn't meant to be. One person's condescending is another person's just trying to be helpful and engage in an interesting topic.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    All sounds like a bit of a stress. Maybe we should just leave things as they are?
    Smash those pesky printing presses.

Of course..but it does mean the limiter will allow a car towing a caravan to travel at up to 70mph when the speed limiting for a vehicle towing is 60mph
    Yeah but that's exactly the same as now apart from the fact that the car towing the caravan could technically go over 70mph now.

Not saying I'm for the speed limiter by the way but your logic isn't a reason not to bring it in

You could be onto something here, not sure if that Elon Musk fella at Tesla has thought of this. Give him a bell!

Disclaimer: I'm just being mischievous and not condescending.

And just to be absolutely clear guys, as I said, flattering as it is, I'm not the person who has invented any of this tech. You're gonna have to take this up with Porsche, Tesla, Nissan, Toyota et al.

I'm just an 'humble Bluebird on a Cardiff City Forum.

Yeah but that's exactly the same as now apart from the fact that the car towing the caravan could technically go over 70mph now.

Not saying I'm for the speed limiter by the way but your logic isn't a reason not to bring it in
    You forgot to say, nobody, should be towing a caravan anyway!

I'm just an 'humble Bluebird on a Cardiff City Forum.
    Considering a moniker change to U Heep's Nephew?

Smash those pesky printing presses.
    No, because there is a clear advantage of printing presses versus writing out everything in hand.

But when asked, no one has presented the benefits of my drive from A to B going from the current situation to one where my drive is monitored, controlled, registered, speed automatically changed and all the rest of it. Just seems like it adds a whole load of stress, reduces freedoms and allows a way for companies to make money out of something that previously they didn't.

Especially, as road deaths have been falling for years, and if anything have plateaued since some of the more recent 'safety' restrictions have become more common place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Report..._Great_Britain

Seem's a reasonable question to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Considering a moniker change to U Heep's Nephew?
    Speed Limiters 4U Heep’s Nephew! ‘umble solutions for Bluebird motorists. I could sponsor a player!

I could sponsor a player!
    Go for it!

Player with a max speed of 10 mph - James Collins?

No, because there is a clear advantage of printing presses versus writing out everything in hand.

But when asked, no one has presented the benefits of my drive from A to B going from the current situation to one where my drive is monitored, controlled, registered, speed automatically changed and all the rest of it. Just seems like it adds a whole load of stress, reduces freedoms and allows a way for companies to make money out of something that previously they didn't.

Especially, as road deaths have been falling for years, and if anything have plateaued since some of the more recent 'safety' restrictions have become more common place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Report..._Great_Britain

Seem's a reasonable question to ask.
    The more autonomous the driving experience the more time you’ll have to post on here. Hands free. Voice to text.

Let’s stop now and have a cold one in the beer garden! It’s such a lovely day.

The more autonomous the driving experience the more time you’ll have to post on here. Hands free. Voice to text.

Let’s stop now and have a cold one in the beer garden! It’s such a lovely day.
    Good idea. I'll be 5 mins late though ;)

Good idea. I'll be 5 mins late though ;)
    😆🍺🍻

This was introduced where I live on practically all of the roads that were previously 30. With two kids I have to admit I was very much in favour.

After having a year of it I’m still in favour on side streets. For example ours where there is a school. However as an example the road that runs above and parallel to us is a ‘main road’ and when you’re going at 20mph I’ve even had idiots overtaking. I think it’s made the road more dangerous and, as much as I hate to say it, I think for the new limits to work they really must be enforced by average speed cameras. Sadly it will lead to people being caught out having a momentary lapse and also people being fixated on the Speedo. But either keep 30 and keep 20
    For small side roads, or enforce 20 rigidly, because there is nothing worse than having some dickhead tailgating the whole journey. All in, or all out imo

You're not thinking it through.

What would be the point of cars having a speed limiter to stop them exceeding the legal speed limit of 70mph on motorways, if that same car could tow a caravan at that speed albeit 10mph above the legal limit?

You're not thinking it through.

What would be the point of cars having a speed limiter to stop them exceeding the legal speed limit of 70mph on motorways, if that same car could tow a caravan at that speed albeit 10mph above the legal limit?
    because 99.9% of car journeys aren't towing a caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    because 99.9% of car journeys aren't towing a caravan
    And 99.9% of car journeys do not end up in an accident...yet..to go back to the theme of this thread, our leaders in Wales have decided that 20mph is the way to go despite survey from ministry of transport showing that cutting urban speed limit to 20mph caused no significant change in casualty rates.
    This 20mph limit might well swell the confers at Cardiff Bay whilst the majority of drivers in Wales could end up with a criminal record and fines because they feel quite competent driving at the current UK urban limit of 30.

And 99.9% of car journeys do not end up in an accident...yet..to go back to the theme of this thread, our leaders in Wales have decided that 20mph is the way to go despite survey from ministry of transport showing that cutting urban speed limit to 20mph caused no significant change in casualty rates.
    This 20mph limit might well swell the confers at Cardiff Bay whilst the majority of drivers in Wales could end up with a criminal record and fines because they feel quite competent driving at the current UK urban limit of 30.
    I'm willing to bet that the majority of drivers in Wales do not end up with a criminal record .

[QUOTE=lisvaneblue;5321209]
    This 20mph limit might well swell the confers at Cardiff bay

I don’t understand how the speed limit could affect the size of trees in Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Speed limiters or some sort of tech to identify youve broken the speed limit is inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'm totally against spend limiters, affectionately known as the other half in my case, and she does work like a SatNav, as she is always phoning me up to see where I am.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content...cars-from-2022