+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Robin Friday book.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: New Robin Friday book.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I tend to agree with Enoch Mort when it comes to Robin Friday or, to be more accurate, I think his Cardiff career, with two or three glorious exceptions, was a bit of a waste of time. However, I've always thought I'd have a different opinion of him if I were a Reading fan - I'd definitely be interested in getting the second book on his time with City and may well get the one that's out now as well;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...atest-18334926
    What would be interesting is what happened to him in his life. The anecdotes are great, funny etc, although i'd be more interested in what shaped him. Sometimes football writers are a little bit scared to go to deep and break the narrative with laddish stories etc, although i'm not suggesting that this book does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What would be interesting is what happened to him in his life. The anecdotes are great, funny etc, although i'd be more interested in what shaped him. Sometimes football writers are a little bit scared to go to deep and break the narrative with laddish stories etc, although i'm not suggesting that this book does that.
    I've always thought the Greatest Footballer You Never Saw could have been a much better book than it was and you've hit on one of the reasons why I believe that - there were some insights into what sort of childhood he had, but not a great deal of them and little to offer an explanation as to why he turned out like he did.

Is it soft enough to use as toilet paper, or only good to start a garden fire ??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've always thought the Greatest Footballer You Never Saw could have been a much better book than it was and you've hit on one of the reasons why I believe that - there were some insights into what sort of childhood he had, but not a great deal of them and little to offer an explanation as to why he turned out like he did.
    The story I remember reading (maybe in the aforementioned book) was that Robin Friday worked with his brother on a construction site. One day he fell and landed on some spikes on a metal fence and nearly died as a result. The theory was that, having a Near Death Experience, caused him to go hay-wire.