+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Watching Sheff Utd tonite...

Watching Sheff Utd tonite...

...the noticeable difference between them and us last season is CONFIDENCE.

We didn't have that at the start of the campaign (especially in defense) and just a little at the end of the season would've seen us safe.

Good for them!

Re: Watching Sheff Utd tonite...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

We didn't have that at the start of the campaign (especially in defense) and just a little at the end of the season would've seen us safe.

Good for them!
    Phil Jones looks so bad if Harris contacted them on Monday, they may consider a straight swop with Flint ?

2-0 now

The pressure is on Norwich.

2-2

Good for them!
    I agree entirely. You look at their team sheet and there's plenty in there who have played the majority of their careers in the Championship or lower. They're more deserving of the "plucky little" description than we were, but have not seen themselves as underdogs - they've had a go at every side they've played and were a lot better than Manchester United today.

Some last 20 minutes in this one by the looks of things.

Sheffield United have had one incredible start to the season. They've based it on a solid defence, which has conceded less goals than only Liverpool or Leicester. They've had 3 home defeats - to Liverpool (expected), Leicester (expected) and Southampton (unexpected) - all by one goal. They're unbeaten away from home, including 5 draws against Spurs, Chelsea, Bournemouth and West Ham and a win at Everton. They've kept 5 clean sheets in 13 games. Their 4 wins have been against teams currently positioned 7th, 8th, 13th and 15th. Their record against teams in the top half reads played 7, won 2, drawn 3, lost 2, points average 1.29.

At the same point last season we had kept 3 clean sheets less, lost 5 out of 6 away (our only point on the road was at 10-man and would finish bottom, Huddersfield) and conceded 14 more goals in our first 13 games. We had lost 6 more games than Sheff Utd this point with 4 of those 9 being by more than 2 goals, including thrashings by Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea, and disappointing home defeats to Leicester and Burnley. Our two solitary wins by this stage were against the teams that ended up 19th and 17th respectively. We beat a terrible Fulham side who gifted us goals and struggled to beat 10-man Brighton, with the winner coming in injury time. Our record against top half sides at this point read played 8, lost 8, points average 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sheffield United have had one incredible start to the season. They've based it on a solid defence, which has conceded less goals than only Liverpool or Leicester.
    But crucially, they didn't have the 'expect-to-be beaten', 'rabbit-in-headlights' look from the get-go of our lot...

But crucially, they didn't have the 'expect-to-be beaten', 'rabbit-in-headlights' look from the get-go of our lot...
    Indeed. In our promotion season, didn't Warnock consider us lucky to go up in that there were better teams that missed out? A year on and with not a great deal spent, we narrowly missed out on survival. Perhaps we were better than Warnock thought?

They’ve got a very good managed and they play very positive football. No hoofball with them at all. I’ve seen quite a few of their matches this season and they’re usual lit entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Indeed. In our promotion season, didn't Warnock consider us lucky to go up in that there were better teams that missed out? A year on and with not a great deal spent, we narrowly missed out on survival. Perhaps we were better than Warnock thought?
    I remember the year we went up they came to us and looked one of the best sides we played at home that year .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I remember the year we went up they came to us and looked one of the best sides we played at home that year .
    They were. Undone by a wondergoal from NML. At Bramall Lane we should have been 5 down before Pilks' last gasp and totally undeserved leveller.

And then in the next season, they signed Madine on loan - and played him sometimes.....
    It's a little hard to understand.

Good for them!
    I may be wrong, but I’ve not seen their manager come out and call them plucky little sheffield and make reference to how amazingly lucky they are just to be in the league.

Them sorts of comments Neil made will fool the public but it can’t be good for the confidence of the players.

I sometimes get the feeling that Warnock didn't want promotion.

That very flat performance in the last game of the season.

Good for them!
    Our former reserve keeper Simon Moore who we considered not good enough now playing in Premier Leaguee!
    In hindsight we should have let Warnock go after getting us promotion and brought in a Premiership Manager to keep us up! People forget because he never mentioned it that he had five promotions to PL followed by five relegations!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Our former reserve keeper Simon Moore who we considered not good enough now playing in Premier Leaguee!
    In hindsight we should have let Warnock go after getting us promotion and brought in a Premiership Manager to keep us up! People forget because he never mentioned it that he had five promotions to PL followed by five relegations!
    I rated Moore but in fairness he has started one game this season and not many last season. Hendersson on loan from Man United usually plays but couldn't yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I sometimes get the feeling that Warnock didn't want promotion.

That very flat performance in the last game of the season.
    Warnock actually said that he didn’t like managing in the Premier League.

It’s not difficult to see why - he was found out in most matches.

I was at that Reading game with my son and I must have been the only person in the stadium who didn’t feel elated at that moment*, about the promotion because the team played so badly! In fact, I was a bit cheesed off! Granted, there was nervousness about the Fulham game going on at the same time, but it was dire stuff..

*I was chuffed to bits afterwards, once I’d put the performance to the back of my mind!

And they seem to have a few players who resemble the concept of a striker.

Agree with the OP, they certainly do not lack confidence. However, perhaps another difference is that they are simply better, more accomplished and better managed than we were last year. Watching yesterday I thought that, as a whole, they looked more comfortable on the ball than we ever did. Good luck to them, I hope they stay up and Villa go down !