+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "A right go at promotion"?

"A right go at promotion"?

It would be wrong to completely rule out the possibility of us going up this season because an awful lot of players in the current squad have been promoted to the Premier League before. Also, I accept that our new manager's record at Millwall was a good one overall, but is there anyone on here who thinks that this appointment is one that you would expect from a club having a "right go at promotion"?

Re: "A right go at promotion"?

No. He was cheap, surely a Warnock recommendation and we must either have to take a hit on £15m Sala transfer - no insurance, or we’re going to fight it and be under a transfer embargo.

Oh and Dalman, again was talking out of his arse when he said he wanted the team to be more offensively minded. We had mastermind of Warnockball, now we’ve got his student.

Nope.

And I think this is proof that CCFC is falling further down Tan/Dalman/Choo's level of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It would be wrong to completely rule out the possibility of us going up this season because an awful lot of players in the current squad have been promoted to the Premier League before. Also, I accept that our new manager's record at Millwall was a good one overall, but is there anyone on here who thinks that this appointment is one that you would expect from a club having a "right go at promotion"?
    I think the majority on here have already made up their minds, but I'm prepared to keep my toys in the pram for the time being. A couple of months ago the general consensus amongst some was that this squad was better than the 2017/8 one. I disagreed citing J.Ralls being our outstanding midfielder this season but one of the weaker ones in 17/18.

Nonetheless, we do have a nucleus of the promoted squad, so - for this season - what's the best way to do that ? Start changing this around, asking our full backs to actually pass a ball, Pack to increase speed to at least league 2 level, NML to actually do something other than run with his head down ? I don't think anyone is going to succeed changing the teams style to flowing football in a couple of months, so, yes, something along the lines of Neil Harris' approach would make sense. It's direct, quick, and it worked. We haven't got McPhail and Whittingham in midfield, Burke, Chopra, Bothroyd, McCormack in attack, Kennedy and McNaughton at full back unfortunately..

They might think it, Dalman and Cho. The two useless ones, that they are giving it a go. But promotion isn’t the issue, and haven’t been for some time, it is football identity. There is no doubt in my mind Warwick had something to do with Harris appointment, and we are a long long way from seeing Cardiff heading in the right direction.

Nope, the new manager was a cheap option made by a club with no ambition, certainly not a club that wants to have a right go at promotion

I think there's a chance he might get a kick on as his record at Millwall was good , where they had that late run out of nowwhere , beating good sides and getting close to a play off spot , getting them twice to the later stages of the cups suggest he can motivate with no finance.

If he has a good eye for talant who knows , we can only hope and importantly support .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think the majority on here have already made up their minds, but I'm prepared to keep my toys in the pram for the time being. A couple of months ago the general consensus amongst some was that this squad was better than the 2017/8 one. I disagreed citing J.Ralls being our outstanding midfielder this season but one of the weaker ones in 17/18.

Nonetheless, we do have a nucleus of the promoted squad, so - for this season - what's the best way to do that ? Start changing this around, asking our full backs to actually pass a ball, Pack to increase speed to at least league 2 level, NML to actually do something other than run with his head down ? I don't think anyone is going to succeed changing the teams style to flowing football in a couple of months, so, yes, something along the lines of Neil Harris' approach would make sense. It's direct, quick, and it worked. We haven't got McPhail and Whittingham in midfield, Burke, Chopra, Bothroyd, McCormack in attack, Kennedy and McNaughton at full back unfortunately..
    Sensible response and ypur right without the right tools how can you build the appropriate model. We have Warnock type players,some ageing, some on long contracts , cannot afford to dump them all, so its tough ,so if we have brought in a younger version of Warnock it might be clever or a risk ,as you say the squad is decent its lost its structure and focus and a tweak or two might by Harris may be whats needed .

Charlton as his first game maybe a nice start followed by Stoke whose manager is partly still with NI ,which is not perfect, if we get a early run going who knows ??

I really hope that you are right but after 47 years of supporting City I fear the worst.

It's possible but unlikely that we can get promoted this year.
    A new manager and a new culture takes time, and I always warned that whenever we started that it would be likely to cause an initial slump. This would have been the case with any new manager.

Believe I'm right in saying that the year before Norwich got promoted they brought in Stuart Webber (DoF) and Daniel Farke and had a middling season. Sometimes a season isn't defined about whether you go up or not but whether you've made the club stronger long term and if we do that this season then it has to be seen as a success, even if we're midtable for a year. However, if this is a sign that we're running out of steam, continuing not to invest in off-the-field infrastructure and just hoping a different "character manager" can pull us back up to play-offs then this year is going to be judged far more harshly.

"A right go at promotion" this year? My initial answer would be no with a hope to be proven wrong.

You never know. We might now have a right go at the F.A.Cup. And by that I mean getting to round 4.

They didn’t say from which league, did they!

I don’t think the board have the ability to begin to understand what is required to have a go at promotion this season.

By their own admission they didn’t plan for the Premier League season anywhere near adequately enough. This season they gave a failing manager another year’s contract at his own request then let him decide when he would like to leave and now have had to ask him to tell them who should replace him!

I hope Neil Harris is succesful but until football decision making at the top of the club ceases to be completely amateurish then Cardiff will continue its decline.

10 years in almost for VT and co, seems they still struggle to run the show. Smaller clubs than us appear to do things a lot better....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    10 years in almost for VT and co, seems they still struggle to run the show. Smaller clubs than us appear to do things a lot better....
    2 promotions to the Premier League, League Cup final. That's not a bad return. I can think of a dozen Championship clubs as 'big' as us who could only dream of such. Teams like Sheffield Wednesday who have run up tens of £millions of debt in the last 3 seasons with bugger all to show for it..

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    They might think it, Dalman and Cho. The two useless ones, that they are giving it a go. But promotion isn’t the issue, and haven’t been for some time, it is football identity. There is no doubt in my mind Warwick had something to do with Harris appointment, and we are a long long way from seeing Cardiff heading in the right direction.
    This ^^^
    We are much closer to a relegation scrap than a promotion push.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sensible response and ypur right without the right tools how can you build the appropriate model. We have Warnock type players,some ageing, some on long contracts , cannot afford to dump them all, so its tough ,so if we have brought in a younger version of Warnock it might be clever or a risk ,as you say the squad is decent its lost its structure and focus and a tweak or two might by Harris may be whats needed .

Charlton as his first game maybe a nice start followed by Stoke whose manager is partly still with NI ,which is not perfect, if we get a early run going who knows ??
    It might seem like a sensible response but it is full of holes.

1- They can’t be asked to play football? They are professional footballers who have played in the top division. Give me a break.

2- January transfer window.

3- For every NML , there is a Murphy. Pack...Vaulks. Players that can be less direct or can move with the ball in midfield.

4- If you want to make a clean break from a Warnock style, you have to start somewhere. Giving NH 3 years to compound ugly football is not the way to do that. What happens when NH leaves us with a mid table squad of limited footballers? Do we sign Paul Jewell because he is cheap and has experience with limited footballers in the lower divisons?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Believe I'm right in saying that the year before Norwich got promoted they brought in Stuart Webber (DoF) and Daniel Farke and had a middling season. Sometimes a season isn't defined about whether you go up or not but whether you've made the club stronger long term and if we do that this season then it has to be seen as a success, even if we're midtable for a year. However, if this is a sign that we're running out of steam, continuing not to invest in off-the-field infrastructure and just hoping a different "character manager" can pull us back up to play-offs then this year is going to be judged far more harshly.

"A right go at promotion" this year? My initial answer would be no with a hope to be proven wrong.
    The Friday night game our promotion season, think we were lucky to win and effectively bullied our way to 3 points, they looked a good side.