+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January transfers

January transfers

Now I know that January is usually a slow burner for transfers everywhere (most clubs wanting to wait for one player in before letting one go), but isn't anyone else alarmed by our lack of transfer 'activity' so far? Especially given you'd expect a new manager to want to bring in some of his own faces.

What is equally as surprising is that one of the first things Harris said when he came in was that the squad is too big, yet we haven't even seen any outgoings (bar our Gary).

I personally would be disappointed if we make 2 or fewer signings before the window shuts.

Re: January transfers

It's been shit on and off the pitch.

Nobody is actually expecting any transfers this window are we? No point. Save the money and give it to the next manager

It's a seller's market in January. No point spending money unless we've identified a player that we really want.

i'm more concerned that we haven't offloaded some of the shite we have.

Only 7 points off the playoffs with still 18 games to go aswell.
    It is a bit underwhelming that we're not giving it a crack considering the parachute payments & new manager wanting to make his mark.
    Aside from the top 2 who seem to be desperate not to go up at the moment, the teams in places 3rd to 9th really are picking up a lot wins aswell which worries me as our recent form is shite so it won't be long before they're all out of sight.
    The championship hasn't been great this year and I feel we've missed a trick giving it a go to be honest.

i'm happy that we are not in the top six as another fluke season in the prem with these players would see us getting smashed week in week out.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    i'm more concerned that we haven't offloaded some of the shite we have.
    Me too and I'm also delighted we're not in the Premier this season or pushing for it; it would have been really embarrassing and it would have been highly likely we would have beaten Derby's lowest points record.

As for the extra parachute payments as someone else mentioned, what use are they to us when they are never used by this board for club development?

i'm happy that we are not in the top six as another fluke season in the prem with these players would see us getting smashed week in week out.
    Agreed. The club needs rebuilding from the bottom up. Getting promoted this season would simply paper over the cracks.

Whilst I completely agree with you, you'd think that NH would at least start putting in place a foundation to work towards where he wants to be. Like I said, first thing he said was that the squad was too big, but we haven't even done anything to free up some of the wage bill. How people like Day, Connolly, Coxe, Bogle, one of the other strikers have't either left or gone on loan yet is a mystery!

I wonder if there are clubs waiting for more mutual terminations like Blackpool getting Madine on a free. Surely no one's paying money for these players.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I wonder if there are clubs waiting for more mutual terminations like Blackpool getting Madine on a free. Surely no one's paying money for these players.
    I was thinking that. Either on free or at a massively discounted rate.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I was thinking that. Either on free or at a massively discounted rate.
    I doubt anyone would take them

It says so much on so many levels if our best bit of business this transfer window is cancelling Madine's contract by mutual consent

Quote Originally Posted by Bothroyd's Diving Coach View Post
    Whilst I completely agree with you, you'd think that NH would at least start putting in place a foundation to work towards where he wants to be. Like I said, first thing he said was that the squad was too big, but we haven't even done anything to free up some of the wage bill. How people like Day, Connolly, Coxe, Bogle, one of the other strikers have't either left or gone on loan yet is a mystery!
    i don't feel there's a lot of planning going on at Cardiff city fc

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I doubt anyone would take them
    I dont think we've got bad players as such, although I think the group mentality has gone. Strictly IMO of course, but the combination of Bruno going and Bamba having a nasty injury, along with the fact that he's no spring chicken has ballsed things up.

I agree with the many on here that Morrison and Flint are too similar. It's one or the other for me.

I'm a big fan of Ralls and would expect the midfield to be built around him.

I love our wingers, particularly Mendez and Hoilett.

In terms of up front, who knows? I would like to see Glatzel to settle with a strike partner.

I won't argue with you if you were to call me old-fashioned because it would be just. However, I'd love to see the return of the big man/little man partnership which isn't around as much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Agreed. The club needs rebuilding from the bottom up. Getting promoted this season would simply paper over the cracks.
    This window I would have thought Connolly, Richards Day Bogle at least moved on with a couple of youngsters going out on loan
    Next window will be even more interesting as there could be four or five who will need to be moved out and that could include Bamba unless there is a plan for a coaching role for him?

Pack, Flint Vaulks and Vassel have been poor signings, Ward isn't good enough and I would question if Hoilett and Murphy will still be around?

Harris can't get anything more than Warnock was getting out of them, so I doubt he will be given any money to spend?

It really does look like clear the decks and start again probably with a new manager in charge for the summer?

This

why is this thread so long?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    why is this thread so long?
    Because posters keep contributing

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Only 7 points off the playoffs with still 18 games to go aswell.
    It is a bit underwhelming that we're not giving it a crack considering the parachute payments & new manager wanting to make his mark.
    Aside from the top 2 who seem to be desperate not to go up at the moment, the teams in places 3rd to 9th really are picking up a lot wins aswell which worries me as our recent form is shite so it won't be long before they're all out of sight.
    The championship hasn't been great this year and I feel we've missed a trick giving it a go to be honest.
    The “only” 7 points is a problem now though, just a few weeks ago it was only 3 points then 4 then 5, its creeping up as we fall further behind. I don’t get some of the messages in the thread saying I hope we don’t get promoted, that makes no sense, if we were to put a run together to get promoted it would mean some of the players will have started to perform again and then you’d be looking at them in a different light. No fan really thinks we’re not very good, I hope we don’t start doing better!

I do think the club has more or less written off this season now though and won’t be investing in new players this transfer window

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    The “only” 7 points is a problem now though, just a few weeks ago it was only 3 points then 4 then 5, its creeping up as we fall further behind. I don’t get some of the messages in the thread saying I hope we don’t get promoted, that makes no sense, if we were to put a run together to get promoted it would mean some of the players will have started to perform again and then you’d be looking at them in a different light. No fan really thinks we’re not very good, I hope we don’t start doing better!

I do think the club has more or less written off this season now though and won’t be investing in new players this transfer window
    Some of us believe promotion would be suicide and would rather see the season out and see what can happen with a few transfer windows (one now as this one's not going to bring anything)

I respect people think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Some of us believe promotion would be suicide and would rather see the season out and see what can happen with a few transfer windows (one now as this one's not going to bring anything)

I respect people think differently.
    I was watching the brief highlights of the Wolves match with my sons this morning and it made me think about how two seasons ago we were in the same division.
    The difference is that they had a plan and prepared properly. Yes, they spent a lot, but they bought wisely.
    We didn’t because we’re “plucky little Cardiff” ((c) The Other Bob Wilson) and were happy to be there, bumbling along until the inevitable happened.
    Then this season, despite our the manager saying we were “going to give it a right go”, we then didn’t buy well, regressing to Extreme WarnockBall TM, which as expected by many fans, has resulted in us treading water in mid table.
    I can’t see why promotion to the Premier League this season (which sounds laughable) would be a good thing when the club is simply not set up for it on the field.

Looks like we're going to get outbid by the minnows of Brentford for a player!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Because posters keep contributing
    yes, though it was rather meant as a comment on the transfer activity.