+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wilson. An enigma.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wilson. An enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I have no idea how reliable any of the 'assists' tallies are - they seem to vary and some of the so-called assists just take the piss. For instance, the BBC awarded Wilson an assist on Saturday for the first goal!

I presume corners and free kicks get credited as assists, as I don't recall Wilson providing too many from open play. There have been a few decent ones for sure, but not enough to rank him second in the division.
    Here's how its broken down by WhoScored and it seems fair enough to me. 11 assists, 2 from freekicks and 4 corners, rest from open play https://www.whoscored.com/Players/33...w/Harry-Wilson

I think an assist for the Vaulks goal is fair, everyone's expecting a Wilson shot but he backheels it, giving Vaulks a clear sight at goal between the wall and the rest of Blackburn's defence.

Re: Wilson. An enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think an assist for the Vaulks goal is fair, everyone's expecting a Wilson shot but he backheels it, giving Vaulks a clear sight at goal between the wall and the rest of Blackburn's defence.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one - for me, rolling the ball a yard or so does not constitute an assist, but there we go.

I went through all of the match reports on the BBC site earlier (which didn't take long at all) and could only find four genuine Wilson assists from open play. We all know his set piece delivery is excellent and, of course, he has the added benefit of lumps like Moore and Morrison getting on the end of them on a regular basis. However, I've been surprised by how infrequently this season Wilson has had a significant effect on games from open play considering his obvious abilities.

From what I've seen, I don't think he's going to develop into a regular top-flight performer. He's 24 years old now, so it's not as if he's still in the genuine youngster bracket. It's by no means impossible that he could add more to his game in time, but it seems unlikely to me. I think he's going to remain as one of those players who produces occasional flashes of brilliance at this level, but doesn't have the all-round game for the next level.